A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Postby zib_redlektab » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:54 pm

done :)
Lurker extraordinaire!
http://www.zibland.com
zib_redlektab

Postby The Enlightened » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:18 am

Have we talked to any of the foriegn communities about this. I know Aloys speak French (I think). It would be nice to have people around the world adding in this monument.
The Enlightened

Postby zib_redlektab » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:31 am

i think we should reach out to the german reallife community, because they are a large part of uru. i dont speak german, but if someone who does could talk to them... :huh:
Lurker extraordinaire!
http://www.zibland.com
zib_redlektab

Postby J'anim Paedet » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:37 pm

Well, if no-one else does, I suppose I could...
But my german really isn't that great, so save me as a last resort!
J'anim Paedet

Postby Aloys » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:30 pm

Yes I am french, but honnestly I'm not very much part of the french community. I was at some point, but not so much these days. However I do remember a couple people who could very well be interested in the project. I'll try to see what I can do.

Nice to see you back J'anim, I hope you had a great time in Japan. :)
Aloys

Postby J'anim Paedet » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:13 am

Thanks, I did. :)

About the shells template: Aloys, I'm not sure how you're sending them off, or how you plan to continue doing so, but if it's easier I could simply post a link to them in the Ahra Pahts wiki, so that the prospective builder can dowload it on their own.
J'anim Paedet

Postby Aloys » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:14 am

The problem is that the shells aren't readily available. They are part of a large Blender scene (the whole Age) and have to be extracted and prepared on-demand. Not only do I have to extract the actual objects but I also have to make some adjustements that I can't do on all the shells at once (like assigning objects to pages, renaming objects etc). So I don't have a directory with all 150 blend files ready to be uploaded. I extract them in the order they have been registered here, upload them on a server, and send the link by PM to the owner.
I agree this is not the fastest way to do it, but right now due to the very large size of the Age it's the only way it can be done. Extracting all the 150 shells would take me several days. :)
But as I do now it only takes around 5 minutes to get a shell ready, so it's isn't a very long delay.

In detail here is how the shell extration process goes:
1- I open the blend file and locate the shell(s) I need to extract
2- I select all the needed objects, invert the selection and delete all the uselss objects so I'm only left with the shell I need. (I must also leave the Book with the shell page and the page -2 so the shell can be exported)
3- This is where the fun begins. I have to take all the objects (meshes, footstep regions, lights etc) and rename them one by one to comply with the naming convention, and assign them all to the shell page number.
This last part must be done on a shell-by shell basis unfortunately, since they all have different numbers. But all in all it doesn't take more than 5 minutes per shell.
Quick math: there are 150 shells x 5 minutes of work per shell = 750 / 60 minutes per hour = 12,5 hours of works. Even if I worked 2 hours a day on this it would take me a week. :)
Aloys

Postby ironmagma » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:51 am

I signed up for #333 on the wiki. This project is a good idea! :D
ironmagma

Postby Aloys » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:15 am

Thanks. :) You have been added to the plan, you should receive your shell shortly.
Aloys

Postby Jehrid » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:19 pm

I've signed up for shell #340.

I've only done a little bit of Age development so far, so one should be plenty for me, at least for now.
Jehrid

PreviousNext

Return to Ahra Pahts