The Great Renumbering Plan

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Re: The Great Renumbering Plan

Postby Egon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:47 am

I think strict deadlines arn't needed.
Aha Pahts should be relesed whenether something change (someone finished shell etc.).

Having sad that: After Shells expire date, I think realising updated AP would be good. But only if maps in the city and signs saing "this shell is being reserved" will be updated, to reflect actuall state of the city.
Egon #2052375
Who You gonna call? Guild of Doorcallers! #5356672
Eder Tsogal/Delin Marathon
Egon

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:21 am

On a related note, the Guild of Maintainers is willing to help people test their shells prior to incorporating it into an 'official' release. Visit the site below and post your request there:

http://www.guildofmaintainers.org/Forum ... 116&t=1177
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Trylon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:18 pm

Robert The Rebuilder wrote:As many of you know, I've just finished sending a boatload of PMs notifying all the shell owners that need to change their page numbers, giving them a script to help in this process. I also sent a message to people who have not finished their shells to see if they'd either like to contribute what they've done so far to a new release, or to allow other people to have their shells if they no longer want to participate in the project.

You can release my shells. I haven't done anything sensible on them in ages, and I don't see myself doing anything with them in the foreseeable future... not enough inspiration unfortunately....
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Jojon » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:03 pm

Sorry to hear that, Trylon.
Now, <vulture mode> if your inspiration would be more at ease with evaluating and expanding on existing concepts, the extremely sketchy idea I have for the story of my shell (and associated age, reached through the shell) could use some fundamental decisions made and subsequent fleshing out, so if you feel up for it, maybe I could bounce some thoughts off your mind and see whether it triggers your imagination/critique-muscle...? :9
Jojon

Postby Aloys » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:30 pm

Random rambling regarding the 'page swapping vs visregion' debate:
I just remembered why I prefered the page swapping method back then (other than it was the only method available): it allows to swap in/out whole shells without knowing the name of the objects inside...
But vis regions would only work for objects whose name we have, and we don't have the objects inside the shells people are working on.. How can we manage vis regions for whole districts since we don't know in advance the names of the objects in the shells that need to be included? (I guess theoretically we could update all vis regions each time a new shell is released.. Theorically; because even though completed shells aren't published every day it's still quite a bit of manual work).
Aloys

Postby Paradox » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:10 pm

Objects reference visRegions, not vice versa.

What we would ideally do is send each shell owner a file containing a visRegion for their shell, and a larger visRegion for that section of the district.
Paradox

Postby Nadnerb » Mon May 03, 2010 3:07 pm

Ideally, there would also be a script provided that would add references to the appropriate visregion to every object in a shell, either via blender prior to shell export, or via the libPlasma recompilation process.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby ddb174 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:02 am

Two questions:

1) This new versions doesn't have anything that needs putting on UAM, right? It's just testing the renumbering, right?

2) What's the point of 'expiring' people's shells? Aren't there far more than enough? And if someone ever does get back to their shell, they'll now have big problems if someone else now has theirs.

Edit: It seems there aren't far more than enough, so nevermind question 2 Oo
ddb174

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue May 04, 2010 5:26 pm

The new version uses the new renumbering, so it will play nicely with other ages - i.e. no more accidental paging in other worlds. Also, the PRPs were decompiled and recompiled, so they will load faster. But there is no new content. So it's your call regarding UAM.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Previous

Return to Ahra Pahts