Getting rid of the shell 'zoning'?

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Getting rid of the shell 'zoning'?

Postby Aloys » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:55 am

This is something that has been lingering for a while.
The shell 'zoning' idea (to foster shells being of a certain type: residential/industrial/communal/commercial) has always been a bit confusing for many people, and doesn't prove to be very useful in the end.
As I look at the map of the city and the shells released so far I realize we might just do without this whole zoning idea. While it is a nice idea in theory, it doesn't seem to really catch on, and it doesn't seem really worth enforcing either at this point.

Robert, Dox, (or any one else interested) : would you agree to official get rid of this system? -- I would update the map and the wikis accordingly.
Aloys

Re: Getting rid of the shell 'zoning'?

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:09 am

Sure - we can lose them. I think it made sense back in the early planning days, when we were thinking about how to make this a realistic city. But now that Ahra Pahts is more like a showcase of wonders rather than an inhabitable city, the zoning rules seem out of place.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Kemy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:27 am

Heh, I deliberately took a Shell labelled as residential so I could have a little study and not take up a community or industrial one, but yes maybe opening it up would be better.
MO:ULa #00365471
Age Concept Designer / Storyline developer
Kemy

Postby Paradox » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:41 pm

I know I've thought a few times about some ideas, but wondered whether they fit into the zoning of the shell. I don't see any problems with dropping it, especially since it was never made entirely obvious in the first place. :)
Paradox

Postby Aloys » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:01 am

Ok, vote closed then. Proposition agreed on by 100% of voting people. :) I'll change the map and update the wiki(s?) this week.
Aloys

Postby diafero » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:33 am

However I do like the idea of some district being full of water (blue), while another is rather like a park (green) and so on - to make this large and currently quite uniform city more diversified. Was that also just removed?
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Aloys » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:18 am

No, not at all; don't fear. :)
Aloys

Postby diafero » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:22 pm

Phew, thanks :)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Chacal » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:23 pm

Robert The Rebuilder wrote:But now that Ahra Pahts is more like a showcase of wonders rather than an inhabitable city, the zoning rules seem out of place.

In its current state, Ahra Pahts reminds me of the puzzling interior world of Rama, in Arthur C. Clarke's "Rendez-vous with Rama".
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Jadawin12 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:41 am

This is a bit sad, I liked the idea of Ahra Pahts becoming a real city... Well maybe it will happen someday...
Thelonius "Prof" Higginsbottom
KI: 01632887
Jadawin12

Return to Ahra Pahts