Cones & Barricades

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Postby D'eux » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:29 am

I tried to make some progress over the weekend with my barriers/lights/cones, but it wasn't to be. A quick modelling bout during my lunch hour has got me thus far:

Safety Barrier, Light and Cone

Although the cone isn't textured yet, the whole lot is to coming out of a single 512x512 texture, so it's going to be possible to have several 'combo' models all using a single texture between them - e.g. single cone, single light, single barrier, barrier with light on floor, barrier with cones, etc.

Let me know if anyone's interested in using these for Ahra Parts as a whole and I'll get a 'triangle' logo put on the items. Failing that, they'll end up in my Shell for sure :)

-: D'eux :-
| Ki# 4586709 | Book of D'eux |
D'eux

Postby Aloys » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:42 am

Nice.

Although the cone isn't textured yet, the whole lot is to coming out of a single 512x512 texture, so it's going to be possible to have several 'combo' models all using a single texture between them - e.g. single cone, single light, single barrier, barrier with light on floor, barrier with cones, etc.
That's a very nice touch. Saving up on textures is always welcome.

About the logo, I tried doing some research for that in the past, but nothing great came out.. If any one want to try and do one it would be welcome. :)

TSK: the Jersey Barrier are indeed ugly but they would be usefull to block off some sections. And we could apply a little logo on those which could make them a little nicer to look at.

[edit]
Two things about a potential logo: to respect the city layout it should be an 'inverted' triangle (the tip is down) and the corners should be cut off. If we do just a regular triangle it could look like the DRC logo... :unsure:
At least that's what I did on the shells wall lights (screenshot -- on this particular screenshot the triangle is upside down but you get the idea.)
Aloys

Postby D'eux » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:28 am

I was working on these ideas just before I told to attend a company meeting over at the pub :) They are a starting point maybe...

Logo Ideas

I can continue to work on them some more if they seem like goers.

D'eux

Postby J'anim Paedet » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:09 pm

Interesting! Not bad at all -- of course, here I am posed with a difficult problem: my favorite is the more complicated of the three (centre image), but in the end, the more simplistic the better they will appear. In terms of compatibility, I would say that item one is probably my first choice, though it's difficult to completely visualize at the moment.
The one other thing I liked about the centre one is that it somewhat reflects the floor design of the Hub; different geometric shape pattern, but similar style (radiating lines, etc.)
J'anim Paedet

Postby D'eux » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:42 pm

J'anim

Thanks for the feedback. As I said, these were quick musings on the concept and if folks here like one of them particularly, I'm happy to develop it some more. Not wanting to step on anyone's toes either btw, just trying to lend a hand :)

D'eux

Postby Jonnee » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:31 am

Shorah, Age Builders! B)

What I'd like to know is:

What physics (properties) does your cones have?
Can you kick them like the URU cones? And how do you accomplish that every online user sees the same position of the cones after link-in to the age? Does the position of the cones get safed anywhere? :blink:
Jonnee

Postby D'eux » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:41 am

Jonnee,

When 'writing' the cones into Ahra Pahts (or any Age for that matter) they are marked as 'kickable'. This means that they do react like those in URU because they use the game physics engine.

However, at present, Ahra Parts is limited to being a single player experience and so therefore any cones kicked around will only be seen on your local machine. There is no multiplayer environment and therefore no storing of position or state of any items etc.

Hope this helps.

D'eux

Postby Jonnee » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:02 am

Ok, it helps a bit. ;)
I know the alcugs-turorial about kickables. Will try it later...
But (I don't want to become off topic now): Who knows how to handle the cones position for multi players? I'd really like to know that.
Jonnee

Postby mar » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:36 am

Shorah,

I likes the middle one from the three examples the most. I think in that one, you can see how the city is build on is the best. Further I find the visibility of the middle also the best.
Further it is nice that there is live again on the forum. It was a little bit silence for a moment.

Mar
mar

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:06 pm

D'eux: my favorite is the middle as well. You'll also notice that there is a hexagonal pattern in the layout of the shells; perhaps you could work that into the design somehow?

Jonnee: I don't know how to accomplish sharing the position of the cones, but if you want to pursue this, you could look into the Python scripts and possibly the SDL files for the neighborhood. [I was going to suggest the City, but it is so large and complex that I don't think you'll learn much from it - only confusion; I have no idea what half of the scripts do, quite honestly.]
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

PreviousNext

Return to Ahra Pahts