Spawn point naming convention

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:35 pm

Aloys:

To facilitate the nexus/prin pahts transport mechanism, the city (and the nexus/prin pahts) will require several linking points to be added. As we agreed in this other thread, we don't need a linking point (and pedestal) for each thread, only for the courtyards.

I took the liberty of numbering the courtyards, as shown in the diagram below:

The courtyard numbers have a hundreds digit that matches the district number. The courtyard numbers increase in the same order of traversal as the shells do, per district.

Note: the central courtyard containing the hub has two "courtyards": one for the lower level of the hub, and one for the upper level.

So, I propose that the linking points in the city each have follow the naming convention: lpcNNN, where lpc stands for "linking point city" and NNN is the courtyard number. These linking points are placed in each courtyard.

Similarly, in the nexus/prin pahts, linking points will be placed on top of the map on the floor in similar locations, except they will have the following naming convention: lpnNNN, where lpn stands for "linking point nexus".

Next to each of these linking points will be a pedestal and a linking book. They too can follow a similar convention: pedcNNN and pednNNN for the pedestals, and bookcNNN and booknNNN for the linking books.

[EDIT] With the clickables support now available in Blender, clickable regions must be added to enable the clicking of the books. So, each clickable region for the city and for Prin Pahts/nexus would have the following naming convention: crcNNN and crnNNN

The main reason for the naming convention is so that it makes writing the script easier. If the pedestals/books use the same convention as the corresponding linking points, then the script code can use loops and generate the names automatically, making it more compact and less buggy.

What do you think?

Note: we don't have to add all the linking points/pedestals/books right away; we can just add the district center ones for now.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Aloys » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:35 am

Oh; good work. I thought we had to do that at some point, just didn't get around to do it, well done. :)

Your naming convention looks good to me. Except maybe I'd change 'spawn point' to 'linking spot' (ie LP instead of SP). But that's just me.

For this week I'll be busy trying to fix some of the bugs in the city and release a new version. But after that I'll start adding simple placeholder pedestals around, so that when Besharen release the final version of those we'll just have to replace them.

Nitpick: on your map I think your wrote 419 in place of 409. :)
Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:05 am

Aloys:

Thanks for catching the incorrect number; I fixed it on the image.

I've also replaced "spawn point" with "linking point"; the term spawn comes from the Plasma class plSpawnModifier (i.e. the representation of the linking point in the scene), but "linking point" is what we're all familiar with.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:27 pm

The naming convention paid off! In the sample Prin Pahts thread, I've posted a link to the new sample age which uses clickables. The result is that the script for handling the linking books is very compact. No long, unwieldy if-else cases for each linking point/book city-side/nexus-side combination. Through the use of Python "dictionary" collections, the lookup is instantaneous.

*Robert notices non-programmer types quickly falling asleep*

Anyway, if this convention is used in Ahra Pahts, then I can use the sample Python script as-is.

Now we just need an improved Prin Pahts room model, and we're done!

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Return to Ahra Pahts