Ahra Pahts weekly update #3

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Ahra Pahts weekly update #3

Postby Aloys » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:42 pm

The good news of the day is that a new version is almost ready. The bad news of the day is that it's *almost* ready; and will only be available tomorrow.
I somehow lost my day doing many things but not updating Ahra Pahts. :(

To help sooth the agonizing wait here are the release notes:

-----

Ahra Pahts v 0.8.8

New content:
- All shells now have a unique ID number plaque above the door.
- Signs have been put in front of reserved shells. (the text on them is just some temporary OOC fun)
- Maps have been added in the large courtyards
- Direction signs have been added in courtyards
- A temporary large light beacon has been placed in the spot of the currently-missing hub to further help orientation
- Missing light flares have been added in all shell courtyards
- Light flares have been added on the large lamps on top of the district walls (soon we'll need to rename the Age the city of lights...)
- There is an updated courtyard somewhere in the blue district. (I'll let you explore to find it..)

Fixed issues:
- Fixed collision issue on the floor of some shells where you could fall through the floor
- The linking time to Prin Pahts nexus should now be very short even when linking in third person
- Missing collisions have been added to the rivers railings
- PRP textures file is much smaller so the Age will be faster to download (I had forgotten to enable texture compression on previous versions, 'oops')
- Minor tweak on some light flares who were not in the correct position
Aloys

Re: Ahra Pahts weekly update #3

Postby Aloys » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:37 am

A quick update about the status of the current version: it's hasn't been released yet because a series of new collision bugs has appeared and right now I have no idea how to fix them.. I don't understand because they appear on some of the main collision meshes that I haven't touched in months and they worked perfectly so far. I will see if by tonight I haven't been able to fix it I will release it as it is because it's already long overdue; but that'd be disappointing. :(
Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:38 am

Is there some way we can help, Aloys? What is the nature of the bug: the collision meshes no longer collide with the avatar?
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Aloys » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:34 am

This is extremely weird. I had several collision meshes (regular objects and colliders) that I made months ago that worked perfectly; I didn't touch them at all but for some reason at some point monday they stopped working.. They were exported correctly, but ingame their were no collisions at all with those objects. Next thing you know, I exported the Age again, without changing those objects and they worked. I exported again a bit later (again I didn't changed anything related to those objects) and now they won't work anymore!..
I litteraly spent the whole night yesterday trying to understand what could be wrong, but I don't have a clue; it seems totally random. The only way I could fix it is by deleting some objects and then duplicate some other objects to fill in. But that kinda defeats the purpose of instances.. (as oposed to duplicates)

I am 100% certain I haven't changed these objects in months.. Said objects are: the main collision mesh for the green district streets, and a couple of the courtyards meshes (the mid sized ones with the grass).. What is even stranger is that the courtyards meshes are all identical, they are actuall instances in Blender. Yet, some work and some don't. But I have seen that behavior before: the collisions for the shells grounds did the same thing. Only some of them would work although they were all instances... I had to end up creating separate colliders for those.

That doesn't make sense to me, how is it possible that some instances work and some don't?
Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:43 pm

Is it the case where the instances that do not work are rotated? In other words, are the only working collision instances the ones that do not have any rotation in their transforms? If that's the case, then it looks like you'll need duplicate collision objects for the rotated ones. That does defeat the purpose of instances, of course - and it should be reported as a bug in the exporter.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Aloys » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:34 pm

That might be part of the issue but that's not the full answer. The problem is that only part of the meshes don't work. For instance I can walk on most of the mesh but then when I got over one specific triangle I'll fall right through it..
But again, what I don't understand is that all these meshes worked fine just a couple days ago.. I haven't changed anything since, I haven't even updated PyPR. I'm sure there must be some logical explanation I just fail to see it now.
I am able to fix most of these though by either duplicating other meshes or recreating them from scratch. So that solution will do for today. I'll leave it at that for this version and I'll look deeper into it later.
Aloys

Postby Paradox » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:24 pm

I don't even think that it matters with collision meshes, but it doesn't hurt to check: are the normals facing the right way?
Paradox

Postby Aloys » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Yes. (I don't think it matters either, but just to be safe I always set them correctly)
Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:23 am

Aloys wrote:That might be part of the issue but that's not the full answer. The problem is that only part of the meshes don't work. For instance I can walk on most of the mesh but then when I got over one specific triangle I'll fall right through it..

Again, that might be due to the rotation. Imagine if the mesh was not rotated and you're standing on it. Do you fall through on the places where the unrotated mesh does not exist?

[It's probably too late to investigate this, since you've made the duplicates. But I am curious about this issue.]

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Chacal » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:27 am

This instancing is only in Blender, right?
When the Age is exported there are copies in the prp, not instances?
Then this could be an export problem.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Next

Return to Ahra Pahts