Latest version - (v.0.8.9.5 - Dec. 12 2007)

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Re: Latest version - (v.0.8.9.5 - Dec. 12 2007)

Postby diafero » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:09 am

While you are messing with page numbers anyway: Please be aware that page numbers >256 will "overflow" into the next sequence prefix and the page number is just a one-Byte value. So currently, Pahts uses prefix 189 and 190, and if you get above 512, it will also use 191. For 190, the list of sequence prefixes lists "Skydan", which obviously got never released, so this is not a big deal. However, 191 is the sequence prefix of "The Maze", an age available via UAM, so you can not use page numbers above 512.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Aloys » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:10 am

I have added a wiki article to list all pages for future reference here.
diafero wrote:Please be aware that page numbers >256 will "overflow" into the next sequence prefix and the page number is just a one-Byte value. So currently, Pahts uses prefix 189 and 190, and if you get above 512, it will also use 191

Are you sure? This potential issue had never been raised before (and the Age has been using this page numbering system for a while now).
Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:14 am

I think it would be great to have a public disk share for the Pahts files, Aloys. Jennifer_P set up a box.net account for the ERC age, and it's been very handy. If you're willing to host some space, perhaps you could set up FTP access or something?

Regarding the page number issues - Paradox had brought this up back in October 2008 when he had finished his new courtyard. We came up with a proposed new page numbering scheme that we forwarded you; I'll reprint it below for your convenience:

Show Spoiler

This would keep the page numbers from overflowing into the next two age prefixes (prefixii?), but there would be a substantial amount of renumbering to do.

Since MOULagain has more bits available for the prefix, it won't be an issue when we convert the age. But for now, we can focus on at least keeping Pahts from leaking into "The Maze". As far as I know, there is only one page that exceeds 512, and that's the static portion of Marcello's shell.

[EDIT: Included shell 223 to be renumbered]
Last edited by Robert The Rebuilder on Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Aloys » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:01 am

I just digged through my PMs and I see I have totally missed that conversation back then.. :(
This underlines the fact that I need to step away from integration and focus on assets creation. The structure of the Age allows for decentralized integration. There are just a couple key decisions that needs to be taken to establish a common work base where people can participate easily.

I think it would be great to have a public disk share for the Pahts files, Aloys. Jennifer_P set up a box.net account for the ERC age, and it's been very handy. If you're willing to host some space, perhaps you could set up FTP access or something?
I took a quick look at box.net offerings, and it'll better to use my webspace. There's enough disk space on it for the project. I'll set up an FTP account and that should do the trick.

As for the numbering system: what Dox proposed look fine but I would be a bit sad to see it change because we've been using using it successfully for several years now. Especially if we know it will work with MOULa. If possible I'd rather contact the author of Skydan (Kenny) and see if he has any plan of actually ever releasing his Age. Also, obviously it would be possible to renumber existing scens but it would really be a lot of work..
Aloys

Postby Paradox » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:33 am

If we do find it necessary to change the numbering scheme, it is not necessary to have the shell builders re-export. libHSPlasma is quite capable of changing all the ids in existing files without causing problems. A script could run through them when compiling a release and make sure that everything had the right value.
Paradox

Postby diafero » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:50 am

As for the numbering system: what Dox proposed look fine but I would be a bit sad to see it change because we've been using using it successfully for several years now. Especially if we know it will work with MOULa. If possible I'd rather contact the author of Skydan (Kenny) and see if he has any plan of actually ever releasing his Age. Also, obviously it would be possible to renumber existing scens but it would really be a lot of work..
Is he still around? I'm not too much bothered with prefix 190 as that age is not released and most likely exists only on one or two PCs, if at all.
So the only page needing action would be
Code: Select all
Page=Shell129Static,1129

Which should already overflow 4 times, reaching prefix 193. That one is reserved by MercAngel, but it doesn't even mention an age name.
Of course, we don't know if other problems will arise for these pages. If for example Uru only onloads all pages with the sequence prefix of the current age when leaving, these shells will stick around in memory.
This might also be the reason why, if you play Pahts on an Alcugs Shard with a dataserver, and the age is completely downloaded while linking there, Uru crashes: It does not properly re-load the keyring of the pages with sequence prefix 190.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Aloys » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:30 pm

diafero wrote:So the only page needing action would be
Page=Shell129Static,1129

There isn't a page 1129, this look like a typo, the number should definitely be 129. :)
Aloys

Postby Paradox » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:37 pm

Aloys wrote:
diafero wrote:So the only page needing action would be
Page=Shell129Static,1129

There isn't a page 1129, this look like a typo, the number should definitely be 129. :)

That is not a typo. Due to the paging scheme, some objects had to be put into a page that was never uploaded.
(Yet another reason that I dislike the paging scheme. It's a good idea in concept, but Plasma doesn't support it well.)
Paradox

Postby Aloys » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:56 am

Is it something that has to do with a waveset loading?
Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:18 am

Exactly.

When Marcello had the problem that his wavesets were not reflecting the contents of the shell, I told him to put the wavesets into another page with the number equal to 1000 + his shell number. I added that page to the AGE file, making it static.

The proposed renumbering scheme contains allocated blocks of numbers for shell contents like wavesets that cannot be paged dynamically.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

PreviousNext

Return to Ahra Pahts