Latest version - (v.0.8.9.5 - Dec. 12 2007)

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Re: Latest version - (v.0.8.9.5 - Dec. 12 2007)

Postby andylegate » Mon May 17, 2010 11:26 am

"How I Made My Shell In Max And Put It In Pahts" -- a long, drawn out story that will put you to sleep, guaranteed!

I took the shell in Blender and selected everything, then exported it using .FBX as the export format. I then used GPNMilano's way of getting something from Blender to Max, in a thread that I now can't find grrr, we really need to get this info up on the wiki, and I need to make a tutorial for it.

Anyway, there is a program you use called FBX Converter. The FBX version that Blender 2.49a puts out is not compatible with Max 7, and you'll get an error trying to import it. FBX Converter allows you to convert it to a version that Max 7 understands.

Once I've converted the FBX file to a FBX version that Max 7 likes, I import the shell.

Now the neat thing about this is: I love building in Blender, but I HATE building in Max. This way I can build my objects in Blender and import them into Max.

There are a few other ways to do this too: you can export your objects one at a time from Blender in OBJ format and import them one at a time into Max is another way.

Once I had the objects in Max, I then had to give them each materials and textures, and assign the plasma components (ALCScripting in Blender will not be exported and is not used by Cyan's Plugin).

I had a spawn point in the shell itself so I could test it by itself, and when ready, exported the shell from Max. At this point it's MOUL:a ready....meaning it won't do anybody any good! hehehehe.

So out comes Drizzle, and we convert my MOUL:a ready shell to Uru:CC/POTS ready. Link in and test.

It's not something you do in just a few minutes, but I wanted to use a few things in my shell that Cyan's plugin has, but the GoW Plugin does not: Particle Flocking (the kemo bugs), and the Distributor Tool (all the ferns you see are actually one one fern I made...the tool then distributes them throughout the shell floor. This is how all those bushes you see int he desert in the Cleft got there, ;) )

While I could have most likely achieved the same effect for the bugs by hacking into the prp file, I wanted to keep the building process in the 3D program. Prp hacking is not for everyone (see my signature about the plKey for "Crud" ), and what little I know about prp files makes me more dangerous than helpful when using prp editing programs like PrpShop. :D

Edit: just saw Aloys post, here's a video shot I use in my tutorial for Particle Flocks. I used my shell as the tutorial example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_YaAfF_fQg
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Aloys » Mon May 17, 2010 12:02 pm

andylegate wrote:here's a video shot I use in my tutorial for Particle Flocks. I used my shell as the tutorial example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_YaAfF_fQg

Nice!
Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon May 17, 2010 5:24 pm

Thanks for the write-up, Andy!

Regarding the download link - I forgot to upload it to ahrapahts.com when I modified the link. However, I'm currently unable to upload to that site; I keep timing out. Instead, I have it at the previous site: AhraPahts08J.zip. [And yes - this time I checked the link before posting it. :oops: ]
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Aloys » Tue May 18, 2010 2:50 am

Thanks for the new link Robert.
Robert The Rebuilder wrote:Regarding the download link - I forgot to upload it to ahrapahts.com when I modified the link. However, I'm currently unable to upload to that site; I keep timing out.

This is weird, I use this server daily and I have no problem. I'm afraid I don't know how to fix that issue. :/
Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed May 19, 2010 9:52 am

I found a workaround, Aloys - I need to upload from my work computer. When I'm at home, the FTP session times out before it finishes. But at work, it goes quicker.

So, now the latest version can be found at the Ahra Pahts website: AhraPahts08J.zip
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby ddb174 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:11 am

Okay, it's on UAM now! And will shortly be explored by me^^
ddb174

Postby GregW11 » Thu May 20, 2010 12:54 pm

Time to load up Uru again... This is one Age that needs to get put in MOUL:a (possibly expanded if possible if fans want to contribute), provided it doesn't completely destroy the servers.
GregW11

Postby Jojon » Thu May 20, 2010 1:03 pm

Soap bubble!!! =:D
Jojon

Postby andylegate » Fri May 21, 2010 4:46 pm

Jojon wrote:Soap bubble!!! =:D

"No, no!
It's a priceless, rare artifact that-"

*POP!*

er.......okay, yah...it was a soap bubble.........

*wanders off looking for his bubble mix.......*
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Jojon » Sat May 22, 2010 2:49 pm

Heh.:)
Jojon

PreviousNext

Return to Ahra Pahts