Shell Memory Limit

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Re: Shell Memory Limit

Postby Trylon » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:28 am

Paradox wrote:Actually, I just looked through Trylon's work both in the branch, and the latest version in the trunk. I'm not seeing anywhere that the "noCompress" string appears.

It's also not entirely clear where the texture compression is set, but we have a "UseAlpha" and a "MipMap" button that don't currently serve a purpose.

Uh, yeah, I threw that all out, expecting to find a better solution in the near future.

I propose the following:
- Any texture using any form of Alpha must specify the USEALPHA flag. This will ensure that such textures are stored with the proper DXT Compression level.
- Any texture needing to be mipmapped and compressed must specify the MIPMAP flag.
- Any textures not specifying these flags will be exported as uncompressed data or with jpeg image compression.

There is just one caveat with this - multiple texture layers can use the same image.... What if one texture layer sets alpha an another not? Or mipmap for that matter....

A few notes:
- Both DXT1 and DXT5 (the most commonly used compression types) support Alpha, but different types. "on-off" alpha is supported by DXT1; but full alpha must use DXT5. We might possibly use a different flag to distinguish between the two.

Indeed - it will be a lot easier to implement with the recent texture updates..

- Linking panels and GUI images should be JPEG compressed. If that isn't possible, then they should remain uncompressed.

True
- The option to disable mipmapping or texture resizing is a complete waste of time IMO. All textures that are compressed should specify mipmap levels, and all textures should be resized to a power of 2.

Yeah well, I threw that out anyway in the last update :P
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:53 am

FYI: The update to the stable plugin (containing the size reduction fixes) is now available; seethis post.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Aloys » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:40 pm

Ok with your help I have mananged to fix it but now we're left with a large white border where the PNG should be transparent over the Book GUI.. :)
Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:20 am

Aloys: I just emailed you the texture I've successfully used in my copy of Ahra Pahts (i.e. it appears with no border). Let me know how it works for you.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby boblishman » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:50 pm

Aloys wrote: ....so I would put the non-compressed texture cache file put it in my regular export cache folder and then re-export to end with a textures PRP with all my textures dully compressed except for the sky textures..

Great idea....and it works for the Journal sketches too!! ... Thanks Alloy, great lateral thinking! ... :)

Accordingly I have again ammended my post (and subseqently the tutorial) about Creating Journals with 'sketches' - Help for new creators to include this great idea!
when it comes to Age creation ... "DOH" seems to be my middle name...
boblishman

Previous

Return to Ahra Pahts