Ahra Pahts weekly update #6

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Ahra Pahts weekly update #6

Postby Aloys » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:16 pm

I am presently in the middle of the countryside, stuck for the whole week end in the middle of a family reunion I wasn't supposed to take part in; and although I've been enjoying it a lot (got to see a lot of people I hadn't seen in years) I haven't been able to spent time working on Ahra Pahts (or anything for that matter; I really need a laptop). I am glad I was able to find a computer with a net access.. Tomorrow when I get back home I will release the fix for the Prin Pahts nexus linking panel bug. For now here are just a couple of assorted thoughts and news:

First of all I want to thank the people involved in the great response over the need for a sound designer. I'm not able to properly listen here to what was posted (or even to take the time to answer everything), I can't wait to be able to listen to all this tomorrow and take time to discuss it. Since I am not much of a sound guy (no pun intended) I don't get to hear much about what the great sound & music people from our community can produce; so I was quite impressed by the little I could hear today. First reaction: wow, the sound atmosphere and the music in the Ages should be really great! :)

Progress on v1 is coming along OK. I got around to replace the canal railings which is a decent improvement. While testing those I found a new collision issue that plagues some courtyards.. Those seem to be so random at times.. I am pulling my hair over the new textures, and how they reflect the backstory of this peculiar Age. I recently heard a couple comments about how the Age looks 'new' compared to most Uru & D'ni Ages.. For now the only answer I can give is that this is not a D'ni Age, it was not abandonned 200 years ago during the Fall of D'ni; so that explains at least some of it. Any further details about the story of the city (and the Age as a whole) will come when version 1 is released. At any rate, these days I am pulling my hair about how to properly reflect that in the textures.. (and so are Robert and J'anim actually)

Also of concern are the courtyards that will be customized. I will need to do those at the very last minute when all the rest of the Age is done and stable (especially the textures which I will need). I will have to make sure over the next week that my blueprints are ready to the tiniest details. I foresee a couple of very intense modelling sessions..

I'm sure there are tons of things I wanted to talk about but I'm forgetting right now, and I don't have the time for more.

The more I type, the more I realize how this version 1 will be very different from all the previous versions that were realized (but in a good way I hope); so many changes and improvement in a single version. This will actually be the first 'true' version of the city, following numerous drafts. It is essentially the version I 'had in my head all along' but only got around to do now. I can't wait until it's complete so we can all check if it was just a dream or not..
Aloys

Re: Ahra Pahts weekly update #6

Postby Chacal » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:43 pm

You mentioned you wanted to include sound around the end of the month. How exactly are you going to do that (PrpExplorer, etc), or is someone going to do it for you?
I'd like the procedure to be posted if possible.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Aloys » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:27 pm

The new version including the bug fix for the missing linking panel as well as an update to Robert's shell (shell #111) is now online. (see the 'latest version' thread)

You mentioned you wanted to include sound around the end of the month. How exactly are you going to do that (PrpExplorer, etc),
I will do that myself (although I still have a couple things to figure out -- which is why I can't post instructions just yet). I am using the beta 1 version of the new PRP Explorer 7 by Hoikas; it is very much a beta, with its accompanying problems (I corrupted a good deal of PRPs..) I'm sure when he will feel confident to release a new beta publicly he will tell us.
Aloys

Postby Chacal » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:36 pm

Does this beta PRPexplorer version have new functionality for sound, or would it be possible to do it using 6.0?
Chacal

-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Paradox » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:02 pm

It's really personal preference. Adding sound was possible as far back as version 0.4, but all of the objects had to be edited with a hex editor.

PRPExplorer 0.7β contains editors for most of the sound objects, and will generally make for a much more pleasant experience. (I've done the hex editing way, PRPEx make it a lot more pleasant ;) )
Paradox

Postby Chacal » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:14 pm

Tell me about it. I spent last night poring over the wiki and editing objects in hex. I have some suggestions for you and Hoikas.
Chacal

-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Return to Ahra Pahts