Ahra Pahts weekly update #10 Version 1 slightly delayed

A community Age for Uru.

Moderator: Aloys

Re: Ahra Pahts weekly update #10 Version 1 slightly delayed

Postby Aloys » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:48 am

Ok I was worried. ;)
I have a computer that's above Uru's system requirements, so it's not always easy for me to judge performance and loading times objectively..
But yes the Age definitely take quite a bit of time to load, but there's nothing I can do about that. (and unfortunately it's not getting any better with the next version as I have added quite a bit of content)
Aloys

Postby MustardJeep » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:31 am

Hehehe Always fun to worry a Age's Writer. :lol:

In the interest of fair play the final version of my Shell's rooftop Garden Terrain will probably have a significantly lower poly-count then it currently does. I like doing my height map sketch's in planetary scale. :lol:

Actually the memory needed for Ahra Pahts has always been something of a concern ever since I first saw the Age. I assume once the shells start filling up it will become much much worse. Out of curiosity if the memory requirements get really bad will you fracture the city by district into separate Age files stitched together by the hub?
MustardJeep

Postby Tweek » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:22 am

Although it isn't going to change it seriously needs to be something to bear in mind when Age building. From a personal perspective the long an Age takes to load the less likely I am to visit it (which is why Minkata and Gahreesen are seldom visited by me).
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby Aloys » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:47 am

The future of the Age past version 1 will totally depend of the evolution of the tools. Right now I'm working on the performance is passable at best on my computer, and indeed it will only get worse as shells are added. In the future if some features are added to PyPRP to help that then the Age will keep beeing updated. If not then it'll be in trouble, that's for sure.. Because sooner or later it will reach a point where load times and performance will become unbearable and people will loose interest in the Age because of that. :(

Dividing the city in several Ages according to the the districts would probably work, although it would be far from perfect..
Aloys

Previous

Return to Ahra Pahts