Progress on the Hub

Postby J'anim Paedet » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:03 pm

Now then: about Ahra Pahts development.
Recently, I've been making large strides in terms of texturing techniques. I was having a very large amount of trouble getting the form of the hub textured evenly on all sides, but I can now edit each side individually, thus eliminating the problem. Another benefit of this technique is that even if I decide to discard the texture I'm using at the moment, the template will remain and I will not have to re-apply the uv wrapping.

A picture to demonstrate:

Clearly, the lighting still is causing me some trouble. I've no idea why, and I'm probably going to leave that to Aloys (because he isn't here right now to protest ;))

Also, I'm working on getting the upper section of the structure ready for the next release. I've applied some textures to the archways (which I'm probably not going to keep), and I'm going to do what I'm doing for the Shore in terms of doorways and windows: frames. This way, I'll be able to eliminate the graphics anomalies I've been experiencing with boolean operations without re-doing anything.

Here:
In the four spaces left on the walls I'll be putting pictures, maps, plaques, etc. Also (and I'm not sure why it isn't in this picture) there is a hexagonal wood floor centred around the partially-finished centerpiece (which I'm thinking of making into a fountain? Maybe?)

Anyhow, there's my latest on Rehkh's Hub. When Aloys gets back, I'll have to ask him about what he's doing about the stairs.
J'anim Paedet

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:45 am

Wonderful job, J'anim! The texturing of the stonework looks superb.

Regarding the stairs: there is a possibility that we can avoid having any stairs/ramps to the upper level of the hub. To get to the upper level, explorers can use the Prin Pahts/nexus; there are linking books to both levels of the hood. The current
Prin Pahts/nexus prototype has this mechanism, if you'd like to try it out and judge for yourself.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby J'anim Paedet » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:39 am

Thanks Robert

I just linked to your nexus. It should work perfectly; all we would need to add is some sort of marker indicating which Book leads to which level, and then I could think about getting rid of those hateful stairs entirely.

And I must say, I like your rendering of the Hub. It's very... abstract. ;)
J'anim Paedet

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:21 am

For differentiating the linking books between the Hub levels in Prin Pahts/nexus, I was thinking about adding a small platform that you can climb (via ladder or stairs, haven't decided), where the platform would contain the link to the upper level.

Oh - and about my bare-bones Hub: yeah, it was quick and dirty. Thought about adding a large rotating monkey head to dress it up a little, but then thought better against it.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby The Enlightened » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:36 am

It's very good. My only suggestion is that you blend color of the arches with the stone a bit.
The Enlightened

Postby J'anim Paedet » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:46 pm

[quote="The Enlightened"] It's very good. My only suggestion is that you blend color of the arches with the stone a bit.

Oh believe me, that archway texture is not going to stay. I'm working on a replacement in Photoshop, which should be done in a few days.
J'anim Paedet

Postby The Enlightened » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:03 pm

That's good. By no means was I assuming they were, your work here has been nothing short of exellent.
The Enlightened

Return to J'anim's Journal