Texturing

Moderator: Marein

Postby Marein » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:38 pm

So here I am, writing a journal about building my shell (#223). It's located in the red district and it's a residential shell.

It's going to be a plain home, desert style. Not using Blender but Cybermotion.

So I started constructing it, and ended up with this:

Turned out that was crap because the booleans for making the windows and hollowing the inside (it's a solid object, that thing in the picture) created far too many new polys.
So then I had this plan of creating a map of the walls, and using an option in Cybermotion to turn that into a mesh.

So then I had this:

And I started working further on that:

I made a cloth to hang over the beams on the balcony:

But that was too highpoly so I had to make it over >_>

So at about that point I had this:

Marein

Postby Marein » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:50 pm

(no more thumbnails for now because I switched to another host *bites thumbnail*)

Then I added some ladders and stuff:

Click.

Then I wanted to make windows, because I had been so stupid to only make doors with my map! So I made all the little pieces of wall that were seperated by the windows, then copied the initial doors-only thing and made a high and a low one for each floor, to build the walls underneath and above the windows. (uh, yeah!)

Click.
Click.

And then I started making the texture for the ground of the first floor. I took top-view wireframe and started filling it with textures in paint, ending up with this:

(yay for thumbnails!)

Applying that to the floor and adding doorstepthingies, I ended up with this:

Oh yeah, I also added a staircase at some point (in the left 'wing'), but you can't see that anywhere.

So that's where I am now!

edit: Wait a minute this topic isn't about texturing at all except for the last part! *sigh*
Marein

Postby Aloys » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:40 pm

Looking good, it's quite different from all we've seen so far in D'ni Ages, I'm curious to see how this goes.

Couple pieces of advice: ladders in Uru needs to respect some strict (some might say a bit contraining) rules. First they must be set straight, totally vertical (I may be wrong but lloking at your shoots its looks like they're not). Second they can have any height. The whole detail of this is a bit complex so I'll direct you to this page.
Aloys

Postby Marein » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:08 pm

I know. Those ladders weren't meant to be climbed, but I might change that.
Thanks for the comment! :D
Marein

Return to Marein's Journal