Busy

Moderator: Marein

Postby Durane » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:03 pm

Yeah, I've never been able to figure those things out either. I can get it looking vaguely 3D, but then my eyes start to hurt and my contacts get stuck.
Is CyberMotion any easier to use than Blender, by the way? I've been working on a house like you are and was wondering which would be better (doing it in Blender has been tedious to say the least, but then again I've only known how to use the thing for about a week).
Durane

Postby Marein » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:00 pm

I personally think Cybermotion is a lot easier to use than Blender. The interface is 1000 times easier for a start... You can easily do stuff that takes (me, at least) ages in Blender, like texturing.
Cybermotion has a lot less options than Blender though, and some things are more easy to do in Blender or impossible to do in Cybermotion.
I guess it's just what you 'grew up with' :) I've been working with Cybermotion for a few years now and never used Blender before, but maybe someone who never used Cybermotion and always used Blender thinks Blender is easier to use.

By the way, for those who can't see it, it's just a picture of my house like the ones you can see elsewhere in my journal... You're not missing anything :P
Marein

Postby Aloys » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:25 am

I don't like Blender, because of the interface. It's cumbersome and counter- intuitive at times. (At first I couldn't believe they use ctrl-W as the 'save' shortcut.. It's used in 99% of the software out there as the 'close' shortcut. You have no idea how many files I lost because of that.. Doing a random test, being unhappy with it, trying to close the file with ctr-W only to save it! :angry: )
I could also argue that it's lacking a number of features, and its UV mapping tools are terrible, but it's a free product so I can't really complain either. :)
That said I've grown used to it.
I first heard of it year ago and heard more complains that anything about it so I never tried it. But last year as Age building really took off we had not much choice so I tried it, got my way through a number of tutorials and the official documentation and within a couple weeks I was at ease with it, at least for what I need to do with it. (Though even today I still occasionaly get baffled by the odd interface 'feature').
I've never been 'deep' into 3d (just spend too much time in 2d), but I've tried pretty much every major 3D software through the years and I usually don't have much problems to learn software, and it's always usefull to know a new tool. Essentially most 3d softwares aren't really different, you just got to get past the interface and some of the workflow.
Beside as I've already said, sometime for some basic stuff it's just much quicker and less trouble to do it in one single software. Now there are things I could never see myself doing Blender, but for most stuff it's ok.
Aloys

Postby Branan » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:19 am

ctrl-W would be "write" I think... It's left over from god knows when.

The devs are working on bringing shortcuts up to current "standards", but a lot of the normal shortcuts are already taken by some tool or other. ctrl-Z wasn't undo until just a few versions ago...
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Aloys » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:03 am

[quote="PaladinOfKaos"] ctrl-Z wasn't undo until just a few versions ago...

:blink: Oh my...
Some of their shortcuts just don't make sense. Really makes me wonder what they had in mind at times.
For instance why is Ctrl-O 're-open last' when it is just 'open' in every other single sofware (3d or not)? And in turn why is F1 'Open' when in all other software it is the Help function?.. And the 'New' function is.. Ctrl-X. :blink: ok..
Some things in this software don't make sense to me.
Aloys

Postby Branan » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:11 am

ctrl-x is actually "delete all", which just so happens to create a new file...

I know that in edit mode, ctrl-n recalculates normals, I don't know what it does in object mode.

As for F1... that's a Windows thing. The Function keys didn't always have these 'standards' that we're used to. Changing Blender just because most of the world switched to Windows makes about as much sense as some of blender's hotkeys.
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Aloys » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:40 am

I agree it isn't a 'real' standard (much like many things in computer software) but it's a 'de facto' standard, as it's what most developpers have been using for the last 15 years or so.. So it's always annyoing as a user to have to unlearn those for a new software.
Now, I don't know Blender's history, so if it has been first developped for Mac or Linux that would explain some things.
Aloys

Postby Branan » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:05 am

I think it was originally for SGI graphics workstations... though I'm not 100% sure on that.
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:49 am

When you import a file from CyberMotion into Blender, does texturing stay or does it have to be redone? I'm assuming the latter, but I'd love it if I didn't have to use Blender's annoying UV mapping system.

Postby Durane » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:50 am

[quote="Guest"] When you import a file from CyberMotion into Blender, does texturing stay or does it have to be redone? I'm assuming the latter, but I'd love it if I didn't have to use Blender's annoying UV mapping system.

This was me, sorry. Forgot to log in.
Durane

PreviousNext

Return to Marein's Journal