simple wateranimation

Moderator: mar

simple wateranimation

Postby mar » Sat May 10, 2008 2:12 pm

Robert you are right I am a she and BTW HAPPY BIRTHDAY

But now to the point, I have tried the wateranimation on my liquid substance in shell224 but with no result.
I have done:
I gave it a material
I gave it a texture ( UV )
I standing on frame 1 and than press key I and set Ofs
I moved the frame to 800
I moved the offset (X)to 1.00

When I look in the IPO screen and view the animation it is working.
I have export my age and looked at it in URU but there is no animation at all.

What have I did wrong or have I something forgotten ?
mar

Re: simple wateranimation

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sat May 10, 2008 7:00 pm

Thanks, mar!

Although I have never tried texture animations myself, one thing I've learned from the forums is that you need to delete the Pahts .sav file each time before trying out your shell. For some reason, the old state of the texture (before the animations) is saved to this file. Try this and see if it works.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby mar » Sun May 11, 2008 12:58 am

I have deleted the sav file and then looked in my age but it is still the same no moving in the liquid. Are there more suggestions of what I have doing wrong,
mar

Postby Jojon » Sun May 11, 2008 6:26 am

mar wrote:I have done:
I gave it a material
I gave it a texture ( UV )
I standing on frame 1 and than press key I and set Ofs
I moved the frame to 800
I moved the offset (X)to 1.00

Did you press "I" again (without moving the pointer out of the buttons window), to actually add that X=1.00 as a second keyframe at 800? I would assume so, since you suggest can see the slope in the IPO window, but still... :7
Also, the texture you pick in the UV/image window is not the texture exported, but just the one shown in Blender's real-time view. It sounds like you do have a texture showing inside URU, but if you don't, you'll have to add it in the shading/texture buttons panels (and once you do, it will pop up among the choises in the UV/image editor too, so you never have to load an image from that window).
Jojon

Postby mar » Sun May 11, 2008 3:36 pm

I am a little bit further

Did you press "I" again (without moving the pointer out of the buttons window), to actually add that X=1.00 as a second keyframe at 800? I would assume so, since you suggest can see the slope in the IPO window, but still

To press "I "after ad X=1.00. I have forgotten :oops: so now I have do that I have a nice slope in the IPO window. :P The exporting of the Blenderfile was going fine but when I look in URU no animation.
Have I forgotten more :?:

Jojon you write
the texture you pick in the UV/image window is not the texture exported, but just the one shown in Blender's real-time view.

I don't understand what you means can you explain please.
mar

Postby Jojon » Mon May 12, 2008 10:22 pm

mar wrote:To press "I "after ad X=1.00. I have forgotten :oops: so now I have do that I have a nice slope in the IPO window. :P The exporting of the Blenderfile was going fine but when I look in URU no animation.
Have I forgotten more :?:

Humm, I'm out of ideas atm, I'm afraid... Did you delete your savefile for the age, once again, after this change?

Ah! One thing: As explained further down, but you may not need to read all that, if you are familiar with it already... The texture slot must be unique for layer animation, I belive, i.e. "single user". If there is a number next to the layer name, when selected in the shading/texture buttons section; click the number to make a single user copy.

mar wrote:
the texture you pick in the UV/image window is not the texture exported, but just the one shown in Blender's real-time view.

I don't understand what you means can you explain please.

There are two places you can load a picture into Blender, for use on ebjects:

- The UV/image editor
- The Buttons window, on the shading/texture panels.

These two are not directly related.

- The the former is a the picture that you use while editing a UV-map.

It is also what is show in your Blender view windows, when they are in textured- (or "potato-" :P) mode.

- The latter is part of the material that you may attach to any object.

It will be used when you render a picture of your scene and is also what the pyPRP exporter exports to URU's file format.

The UV-map does not include any picture - it simply says: "when drawing this corner of that triangle, fetch a pixel from this and that (0.0 to 1.0, or 0% to 100%, if you like) position within -whatever picture-".

If you use UV-mapping for a material layer in question, you can use any one of potentially several UV-map attached to the material. It is the picture loaded into the layer slot that will be used and not the one picked in the UV/image editor.

If you are in shading/material (gray sphere/red sphere section) and use the "add new" option in the select button, where you can pick a texture for
the layer selected among the column of layer buttons, you will get either a blank texture entry, or a copy of the proviously selected one. You will have to go into the texture section (miscoloured leopard skin button), to load the texture.

Here you have the same column of layer "slot" buttons and this is where you assign pictures (or procedural [calculated while rendering] images - only few of these are of use to us) to the slots. You could do that in the previous panel too, but here you can actually load new pictures, rather than just picking a previously loaded one. Select a layer, "add new", name your new layer, define it as "image", to say that it's a picture to be loaded and a pair of new panels will pop up, with, amongst other things, a file pop-up box, for loading a picture file.
Any picture that you load this way, will also be available for selection in the VU/image editor, so you do not have to load it twice (once for the material and once for defining the UV-map).

I believe when you are animating a layer, it must have its own copy of the texture instance, that is not share it with other materials, or at least other layers, within the same material (the latter is probably the important one). When a texture instance is used by more than one material/layer, a number will appear next to its name. To make a single user copy; just click this number. You may want to rename it accordingly, for the sake of clarity, when you revisit your project months later. There is no need to load a second copy of the image itself - it's just the reference to it that needs to be unique.

Hope that was something... :7
Jojon

Postby mar » Thu May 15, 2008 12:21 am

Thanks Jojon for your answer. I have follow up your instruction but without result.So I give it one more.
If there is no result I let it waite for a while :evil:
Maybe my stars are then
I want thank you also for your very big answere about the textures and material. There were a few little things a
didn't snow. So I have learn this day apart from Blender. :)
mar

Return to Mar's Journal