2-26-07

Postby Kedri » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:01 am

I've become uncertain of what I'll do with The age of the lone tower. CC's age building role is being diminished and replaced with, as of yet, nothing. We're all waiting for the Live age building tools. In short, here are my choices:

1. Continue with my current model. Possibly the hardest, considering the inefficient start.

2. Restart modelling from scratch. Possibly what I'm leaning towards. Maybe make a single "Tower segment", so I could copy+paste that.

3. Wait until age building tools come to Live, and work with those. This one is the hard one. On one hand, I'll get better tools, on the other hand, it could be a while.

So...what do you think?
Kedri: Modeller and writer. KI# 72427
ImageImageImage
NaNoWriMo '07!
Kedri

Postby Trylon » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:58 am

Personally I think you should continue....
We're not dead yet - I'm currently working on making it very easy to share and upload ages through ULM - I expect to have the planned functionality ready within about a month.

If we stop now, it might be a lot harder to pick up the pace again.... The age building tools will certainly not be available for about 6 months, and it would be cool if we can have something beutiful available when it happens.

Also, I'm not so sure what kind of signal it would send to cyan if we simply abandon everything until they are ready. We may want to show that we are ready - now - so that they can jump in at any moment.

Just my thoughts...
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Aloys » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:46 am

Trylon is absolutely right. Even though the official support for Ages in Live and the associated tools may still be a bit far away that doesn't mean we should stop working. Quite the opposite.

However what is really frustrating, and even quite a show stopper, is that we still have no idea about the story integration of the custom Ages in Live. Will we be allowed to do actual D'ni Ages or will they be explorer-created Ages?... That in itself changes a lot of things. And it is fundamentally necessary to know that ASAP. Because I have the feeling some people will be creating whole Ages they will need to scrap when this info will be revealed.. :(
Aloys

Postby Tweek » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:53 am

Definatly, I still play the offline Uru so having fan ages for that is still something I am interested in.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby Kedri » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:31 pm

Hm, ok, then. I'll continue. Maybe I'll restart, though. Along with the inefficientness, I realized that my main tower had canon issues(No living space. :rolleyes: ), so I'll rebuild a bit. I think I got a bit ahead of myself with the IC, I don't know. Anyways, I'll do those.

TO DO LIST:

1. Re-install CC. I need a clean working space. There are modifications to this install that I can't even remember doing.

2. Install ULM(It's ready, right? :unsure: )

3. Rebuild age from near-scratch. I'll be using the same layout and concept, as well as the textures. Still looking for better ones, though...

4. Rework storyline to be capable of being switched to D'ni written if neccisary. This will be the easiest. My writing does play an important part in what happens in the age, but I'll think of a workaround.
Kedri: Modeller and writer. KI# 72427
ImageImageImage
NaNoWriMo '07!
Kedri

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:33 pm

The ending has not yet been coded.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby zib_redlektab » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:31 pm

[quote="Kedri"] I realized that my main tower had canon issues(No living space. :rolleyes: )

*cough*myst island*cough cough*

:P

Yeah I'm thinking that I'll start over once we get our Live tools...I don't even have an offline install of uru anymore to test an age on...
Lurker extraordinaire!
http://www.zibland.com
zib_redlektab

Postby Besharen » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:09 pm

I too am waiting for tools for Live before I do anymore age creation work myself. I don't even have any version of Uru at the moment, offline or online!
Besharen

Postby Aloys » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:05 am

I have decided that since the official tools (whatever they'll end up being) are sooo far away that until new info comes up I'll keep working with what we have and I'll see later if any adjustment need to be made.. It is clear that with Cyan's agenda these days we have to push Age building ourselves or it won't go any further.

QUOTE (Adam)
The ending has not yet been coded.[/quote]
:P

[quote="Zib"]I realized that my main tower had canon issues(No living space.  :rolleyes:  )
*cough*myst island*cough cough*[/quote]
Hehe.. the whole 'canon' concept has been so twisted in every sense over the years I'm not sure anymore what it really means.. ;)

QUOTE (Tweek)
Definatly, I still play the offline Uru so having fan ages for that is still something I am interested in. [/quote]It's nice to know there are still people interested in this. :)
Aloys

Return to Kedri's Journal