Let's make a Volcano!

Postby electroglyph » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:43 pm

Click and drag on the erode button below the fractal button. The more you pull to the right the more the slope smears like a washed out riverbed. Now instead of blobs you have a slope. Use the bottom clipping tool to chop off the square edge. When you are happy with how the terrain looks click the round check button on the bottom right of the screen to return for a moment to the Bryce main window.
electroglyph

Postby electroglyph » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 pm

You should be back to the wireframe view on the main window. Click on the M (material) button and the Materials Lab window will come up.

You will see a window on the top left with a gray sphere in it. On the right side of this window is a right pointing arrow. Click on this to make the materials window come up. This window opens up to show a bunch of boxes with different material designs in each. Along the bottom is a gray edge. In the image shown is the word terrain and a down arrow. Click on the arrow to make a menu with all the different types of materials appear. There are clouds, water, rocks, etc. but the terrains are the ones you want now. If there is more than one type of terrain a list of names will appear under the gray ball window. There are several good desert type materials, granites; I chose one called volcano heart but try several. Click on square and the gray ball will change and take on the material of the clicked window. When you are satisfied click the check on the gray edge and the materials window will close. Click on the second check button on the Materials Lab window and this window will also close and you will be back in the wireframe view.
electroglyph

Postby electroglyph » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:47 pm

Click on the E button to go back into the terrain editor. Click on the down arrow on the terrain canvas and select export.

A window will pop up with the words “Save As” on the top this is a standard save window and you can do the same things like change directory create folders etc. The file name will default to terrain 1. You can change this to volcano1 or whatever you want.

There are save as types for export including 3ds dxf. The best type for the game is to use wavefront obj. When these selections are made press the save button to the right.
electroglyph

Postby electroglyph » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:51 pm

The export terrain window will pop up showing the mesh to be exported. The slider at the bottom can be moved to increase or decrease the polygons. Too much of an increase will lock the program. Try not to go above 10000

The exporter will also create texture maps. Diffusion ambient color, reflection, transparency, and bump components are available. The size refers to pixel size of the image textures. The format allows for bmp, jpg or other image types. To change each click on the down arrows and select from the menus. Once everything is selected click on the check button on the bottom right of the window. The mesh and images will be generated and the progress bar will appear. Then the window will close and leave you back in the terrain editor again.

Click the check button on the terrain editor to exit to the Bryce main window. Move the mouse to the top and click on the windows bar that appears. Click the word file and pull all the way down to the word quit. Save the Bryce file if you want then exit the program.
electroglyph

Postby electroglyph » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:55 pm

Look in the folder where you saved the object and you will see the mesh and textures you created.

All types of textured hills can be created in minutes with a little practice.
electroglyph

Postby J'anim Paedet » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:15 am

Ah yes... Bryce 3D. I've used it oft, I've used it well.
Great tutorial, electroglyph! Couldn't have explained it better myself ;)

On behalf of everyone who has ever wondered how to make a good terrain, I thank you for this demonstration. :)
J'anim Paedet

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:12 am

Excellent work, Electroglyph!

psst, mar: you were asking about a volcano before for your shell. Give this a try!
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:19 pm

Yes I think that is a good try. I like do that with so a good manual, but I will first finished some nature things I have done. I have started with a moss-age but I think that I can use it also in a shell of Ahra Paths.
I was inspired of all that moss what is start to flowered in my garden and than I think I can make a wood of it and so I start.
Soon I shall show some screenshot in my forum!!!!

Postby mar » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:22 pm

Sorry for posting as guest, but I was forgotten to log in.
mar

Previous

Return to Electroglyph's Journal