Status

Postby ShadowDude » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm

:D

/wave

Figured I should post something since, well... I haven't in about a month :P

As much as I've enjoyed Age Building, I've been finding that I don't really have any time to do it now that my classes have started back up again (remind me not to take all Honors classes next year <_< ). And that's partially to blame for my lack of involvment recently here in on Age Builders, as well as the lack of progress I've accomplished on Ri'achi and my shell.

Sadly, on those ultra rare occasions where I have enough time to do more than just browse through some recent topics, I'm faced with a performance issue involving Windows Vista (I'm beta testing it). I don't know what the heck Microsoft was thinking, but Vista's using a little under half a gig of RAM just for idle processes <_<

Normally I'd have enough RAM to make up for this (1.5 GB), but during the installation of Vista on my computer one of my 512 sticks of RAM *somehow* died, and I have yet to replace it (lifetime warranty, right... :rolleyes: )

So now I'm running with a single gig, half of which is occupied by the system idle processes (even turning off the super kewl transparency effect doesn't seem to lower this), so essentially it's half a gig for me, granted it doesn't run as smooth as half a gig should.

In terms of Blender, it's running horribly. Trying to edit Ri'achi turned into, well, you don't really want to know. I'm able to just barely do active work on my shell (which was thankfully near completion before I switched to Vista, btw), however I can only use the textured view when looking at individual objects (not useful when you're trying to get everything to match up. And then there's vertex paint... ah, it's a big mess :P). With any luck I might be able to squeeze out an "ok" looking release within a week or so :), but I don't think I'll be able to make it look exactly how I'd invisioned it now :(

Some advice from me: do NOT upgrade to Vista if you plan on Age Building (well, unless you have a freakishly good system anyways)
ShadowDude

Postby Paradox » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:26 am

Good to hear from you ShadowDude.

Hope you get that RAM issue figured out soon.
Paradox

Postby Aloys » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:38 am

I heard a lot recently about the Vista 'RAM issue', and it appears to be perfectly normal. It is part of Vista's new method of memory managment, and shouldn't affect most softwares, if anything it should speed up most of then. It just so happens that there are a couple specific applications that don't deal well with this new system. As always when a new version of Windows comes out we'll need to wait for new versions of our favorite applications to fully use it and eliminate such troubles.

That's too bad Blender is part of the lot. It's probably a shot in the dark, but have you updated you graphic drivers recently? I hear Vista depends a lot on those and some card manufacturers have been updating their drivers specifically for Vista lately.

I'm glad you made some progress on your shell, I'm curious to see it. If you indeed release it next week that'll be the first shell to open :D
Aloys

Postby Branan » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:45 am

Yeah. Make sure you have the latest drivers.

Also, Blender draws its entire interface with OpenGL, so it might not run nicely in a window on the DirectX-based Vista desktop. Try forcing it to full-screen, and see what that does - I believe the switch is /W, though I could be wrong about that.
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby ShadowDude » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:09 pm

Ok, here's where I am right now.

The shell is complete from a modelling and texture viewpoint ( B) ), the only thing left for me to do is to double check that every object follows the naming conventions, and then I have to export it successfully to see if it's working.

So, unless something explodes, I can't see why I won't have a release by the end of the week :)

-----

As far as the RAM issue -- I'm going to try to get that replacement ASAP.

I tried running it in fullscreen but that didn't really do anything either :(

I'm going to take a peek at the video drivers a little later on, I certainly wouldn't rule them out.

Aloys wrote: I heard a lot recently about the Vista 'RAM issue', and it appears to be perfectly normal. It is part of Vista's new method of memory managment, and shouldn't affect most softwares, if anything it should speed up most of then. It just so happens that there are a couple specific applications that don't deal well with this new system.

That's interesting. I don't really know too much about the inner workings of Vista yet, but this has got me curious.

Oh, and thanks for the suggestions guys! :)
ShadowDude

Postby ShadowDude » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:43 pm

(sorry, double post!)

:ph34r:

Okay... having some slight export problems (sigh...)

It seems that whenever I'm exporting the age, it well... doesn't export anything in the age :P

Looking through the produced PRP files it only exported the stuff that was in the shell by default (ie the stuff I received from the Pahts dev team), as well as two textures I used in the shell (I've used more than that).

I'm a little confused as to why I'm seeing this, I've done nothing different with this shell than I have with Ri'achi and that exported just fine... granted the last time I exported something was in August :rolleyes:

Anyways, I figured I'd ask the guys who wrote the code rather than go through each individual thing looking for an answer ;)
ShadowDude

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:09 pm

ShadowDude:

Your region properties may be out of date. For an explanation (and an easy fix), see the following Alcugs Wiki page:

http://alcugs.almlys.org/wiki/index.php/NewStyleRegions
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Trylon » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:22 pm

And as to the textures - check that your age confirms to the new texture implementation. (Which should be fully backwards comaptible, granted, but still....)

This wiki page has more info:
http://alcugs.almlys.org/wiki/index.php/AgeTexture
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Aloys » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:47 am

Couple things to check:

- When you export the Age look at the Blender console and see if you can see your objects being mentionned. If none is there something is wrong
- Do all your objects have the right page number property? (though even if they don't they should still export and appear in Uru..)
- Do you objects follow the naming convention? (make sure to add the shell number at the beginning of each objects' name)

If all else fails, post the Pahts.age.log file that should be in your Uru/Dat folder.
Aloys

Postby ShadowDude » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:54 pm

Well, I'd hoped to have this done by now, sadly I've just had no significant amount of time to myself in recent days.

I tried the things you guys mentioned above just now, but no luck :(

All the pages are set to 430, the properties have all been updated with that script, etc.

Looking at the Log file, it just seems that the objects that are supposed to go into the shell just aren't exported... there's no mention of them or, well, anything. :blink:

I'm kinda baffled here...

Edit: typo
ShadowDude

Next

Return to ShadowDude's Journal