Status

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:35 am

ShadowDude:

Would you be willing to make your blend file available for download? If so, make sure you pack the textures into it. Then we can try it out on our end and review the properties to make sure they're correct.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby ShadowDude » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:47 am

Sorry, meant to post this sooner...

Right now I'm trying a few things out to see if I can get it to work that way. If what I'm trying doesn't work, then I'll post it here for public download.
ShadowDude

Postby ShadowDude » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:21 am

Ok, I've tried everything I could think of, nothing's working <_<

Anyways, I really want this to be released, so I'm going to take Robert's suggestion and post it here for anyone to take a whack at it:

430.zip
(includes 430.blend, and the TexCache)

Problems with the file:
-None of the physical objects except the ones for the shell base will export
-Textures other than the ones that came with the shell and two others will not export

I've got no idea why the first problem is happening, but the texture problem might be a result of none of the textures being added to the TexCache except those ones that came with the shell and those two other ones (and I can't figure out why it's not adding textures to it /shrug)
ShadowDude

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:06 pm

ShadowDude:

Thanks for posting your age. I don't know if this is good news or bad news, but... it works for me! I am using Blender v2.40, and the latest version of the plugin (http://alcugs.almlys.org/shots/pyprp/al ... 062516.zip).

When I export your shell, I choose the "All as full age, per-page textures (.age)" - which is what shell authors need to do, in order to incorporate it into the city. After a half minute, it finishes. I then browse the 430_District_Shell430.prp file, and it is full of scene objects (430Grass, 430Lamp, 430LampBall, ...) and drawable spans.

So, I recommend using the same version of Blender as I am (the more recent versions are not currently supported), the same PRP Blender Plugin version, and check that the value of "game_version" in alcconfig.py is set to "tpots". Whenever you obtain the latest PRP Blender Plugin, be sure to delete all the .PYC files in your blender/scripts directory as a precaution.

That's all I can think of. Hope this helps.

EDIT: Hold on, the number of mipmaps is wrong...

OK - I see the problem with the textures. For each textured object, you have created a texture datablock for it, but the Texture Type is set to None. This will confuse the new plugin, which now has multilayer support. To fix this, you can either do one of two things:

1) Delete the link to that texture datablock (click the X in the Textures panel); or

2) Set Texture Type to Image; then in the Image panel, click the choice button above the Load Image button to select the texture you want to use.

That will make sure your object's textures are exported as well.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby ShadowDude » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:21 pm

Thanks for looking at it Robert, I think you might be right about using v2.40 (I was using v2.42a). I'm reinstalling the older version now, and with any luck, that will have been the only problem (other than the textures which you've pointed out ;) )

edit: typo
ShadowDude

Postby ShadowDude » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:48 pm

Ok, one last *small* problem.

Apparently, with Blender v2.40, I can't export anything because when I do, the program crashes. This I'm sure is because I'm using Vista (I've had similar problems with some other applications), so the only thing I can really do is ask somebody else to do it...

...anybody wanna be really nice and export it, and then post the files here for me? :D
ShadowDude

Postby Tylinol » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:42 pm

I was (up until 5 minutes ago) having the same sluggishness problem with Vista, but it's fixed now! The issue is that the default graphics drivers that come with vista only include limited openGL support (basically it's stuck at opengl 1.4 AND it has to layer over DirectX). The solution is to install (if you're using an nvidia card) the 96.33 drivers. They include the openGL ICDs for vista. I just fired up blender and it works perfectly!
Tylinol

Postby Aloys » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:53 pm

Using an OS in beta version is a *bad* idea. ;)
I know it is near final, and this is even worrying, because that might mean that when it will go final Blender will still not export correctly and you'll be out of luck.
I suggest coming back to XP (or whatever you were using before).. :)
Aloys

Postby Tylinol » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:46 pm

But it's so preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeety :ph34r:

Just kidding! The main reason I'm using Vista is that my new computer can't seem to keep an install of XP for more than a few weeks. First it randomly restarts, then, whoosh. It won't work at all. Vista has so far been stable.
Tylinol

Postby ShadowDude » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:10 pm

Had a bit of a hectic past few days... but I'm still here (and currently enjoying a four-day weekend, /cheer! :D)

[quote="Aloys"]Using an OS in beta version is a *bad* idea. ;)

Yeah, I see this now (but it IS pretty... :ph34r:)

Actually, the main reason I decided to start testing this was because the registry keys on my XP install got all screwed up from a program I was beta testing (no, not Uru Live, something entirely unrelated actually :P). Anyways, it was giving me a heck of a bunch of problems so I just plunged in and did it as an excuse to wipe and reformat the hard drive.

(plus I wanted to try out the Flip-3D :ph34r:)

QUOTE (Trylon)
I was (up until 5 minutes ago) having the same sluggishness problem with Vista, but it's fixed now! The issue is that the default graphics drivers that come with vista only include limited openGL support (basically it's stuck at opengl 1.4 AND it has to layer over DirectX). The solution is to install (if you're using an nvidia card) the 96.33 drivers. They include the openGL ICDs for vista. I just fired up blender and it works perfectly![/quote]

Ah, glad you got it working correctly! :)

Unfortunetly, when I looked for a similar driver for my RADEON X300 card, I found that apparently ATI hasn't made a Vista driver that supports openGL quite yet. Sometimes I think the whole world is against me <_<

But, at the very least, Microsoft just started publishing the final release of Vista, so whenever it comes out for the public to buy (sometime later in November they say), I'll try to snag a copy that *SHOULD* be more stable (and ATI said that they'll have a driver available by then).
ShadowDude

Previous

Return to ShadowDude's Journal