[RAD] Pahts, Shell 201

[RAD] Pahts, Shell 201

Postby Paradox » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:36 pm

So, I requested Shell 201 a long while back, tossed a cylinder into it, and forgot about it. Since I'm waiting to figure out what I can do with Shell 410, I decided that I might as well start fresh with 201 and do something useful.

The goal is based loosely on my Snow Age from a while back (the thread is here in my journal). I have no idea if that Age will ever see the light of day, but it was fun to build and play with. Currently, I've warped the landscape of Shell 201, textured it, and added some lamps.

Really interesting side effect that I do not understand: when I stand on the terrain and turn, or run, the lamps randomly light different faces. So the ground seems to shimmer different colours based on where you stand and rotate. No logical reason for this to happen, but it's pretty amazingly cool to see :D
Paradox

Re: [RAD] Pahts, Shell 201

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:47 pm

Interesting. What are the specular settings for the ground?
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Paradox » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:49 pm

Whatever the default Blender ones are. I rarely change colour settings.
Paradox

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:52 am

By default, specular color is white; this causes the new plugin to enable specular highlights.

To disable it, set the ground material's specular color to black. Then, on the Shaders tab in the Material panels, change "Spec" from 0.5 to 0.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Paradox » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:28 pm

I've submitted my shell to Aloys for the RAD competition, but there is one issue that's bothering me.

My footstep regions seem to stop working once the avatar is a certain height. I've properly scaled the regions, but it just doesn't seem to make any difference. o.o
Has anyone encountered a bug like this in the past? Does anyone know what might be causing the issue?
Paradox

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:36 am

I've had very frustrating moments when dealing with footstep regions for my shell, as well. I've learned a couple things though. One is that I need to apply the scale and rotations to the vertices. Another is that the edges of adjacent regions should not overlap (see picture):

FootstepRegions111.jpg
FootstepRegions111.jpg (18.96 KiB) Viewed 5910 times

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Grogyan » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:35 am

I'm having similar problems myself with my shell.

In one case I have a camera, ladder, ladder footstep and another footstep on the ground (came with the shell) so when You come to climb the ladder all is fine till the avatar passes through a non existant footstep region then the footstep sound changes for a short while before going back, when nearing the top the sound changes again when the avatar passes through a non rectangular region.
The top has an incomplete coverage zone even though the region covers it.
The bottom ladder region rotation doesn't match what is seen in game.
Similar thing for my journal the mesh is the right size and rotation in Blender but in game its 3 times larger and rotated, however the click region is the correct size of that of the actual model.

Changing the bounds of the regions may work, i'll have to revert my plugin back to 1.2.1 so that the cam regions work properly
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby Paradox » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:02 pm

I have completely finished this shell, and I'm passing it along to the maintainers for examination. Not too sure how to best distribute a shell, but I will definitely find a good way to make it available once the GoMa has passed along their suggestions. :D
Paradox

Postby Aloys » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:15 pm

Seing how the Age isn't available on ULM, either you distribute it on your own or you wait til I complete the next version and I distribute it with it. Depends whether you're in a hurry or not.. ;)
Aloys

Return to Paradox's Journal