Sound Development

Re: Sound Development

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:46 am

That's what I was going to say - try reversing the normals. When I was developing the plugin's soft volumes for lighting, I had found that I needed to invert the normals from what I thought was intuitive.

I wonder if the visibility-related soft volumes also need to be reversed...
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Paradox » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:55 pm

I have to say... I looked at the softvolume code, blinked a few times, tried to see what on earth was going on, and quickly closed that file with a "DO NOT TOUCH" notice on it :P

What's with the whole "multiple the normals by -1 and do something involving (1-e)"? :shock:
Paradox

Postby Chacal » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:16 pm

This would be a good time for Cyan to step in: "Hi! Here are the specs for all Plasma-related objects and code!"
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Paradox » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:39 pm

Uhm, yeah...

Inverting the normals didn't help either.
Paradox

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:05 am

Paradox wrote:I have to say... I looked at the softvolume code, blinked a few times, tried to see what on earth was going on, and quickly closed that file with a "DO NOT TOUCH" notice on it :P

What's with the whole "multiple the normals by -1 and do something involving (1-e)"? :shock:

:lol: Welcome to the confusing world of soft volumes!

Since the SV plane's vectors in Blender space seem to be opposite from the URU plane vectors, the normals are multiplied by -1. This is done right after importing or right before exporting, so that what you see in Blender is intuitive to what you expect: the normals point towards the inside of the soft volume.

The plConvexPlane contains the fields ScaledNormal and ScaledDistance, which uses (1-e) times the normal. The value of (1-e) = .998047 is the observed value from various URU SV plane scaled normals. As for why they need these scaled normals, I have no clue.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Aloys » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:20 am

Robert The Rebuilder wrote:so that what you see in Blender is intuitive to what you expect

This is the correct way of thinking when developping PyPRP (or anything else for that matter) ;)
Aloys

Postby Trylon » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:27 pm

it was the basic design principle behind the refactoring of the drawable code as well.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Previous

Return to Paradox's Journal