Sound Development

Sound Development

Postby Paradox » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:25 pm

Wow... lots of complicated stuff happening in the past few months. :shock:

One of my goals has always been to get sound working in fan-Ages, because we have so many talented composers, and the music helps to paint a vivid picture of an area and control the mood. Unfortunately, sound is one of the more complicated aspects of Plasma, requiring 5 objects to play even the simplest of sounds, and many more to control the sound in any way.

I started adding stuff to the PyPRP plugin around the same time that Trylon started his Material rewrite. I added support for a point object defined as a sound emitter, and some export support for Blender sound objects.

Currently, the plugin generates the following:
plSceneObject (the emission point object)
plAudioInterface (a link between the object and an audible source)
plWinAudible (a link to a plSound* array (currently an empty array is exported))
plSoundBuffer (a link to the actual sound file)

What needs to be implemented is the plSound object, which controls flags, EAX Settings, and a handful of other things, as well as a reference to the plSoundBuffer. At this point, I've been managing the plSound stuff by hand with a hacked copy of PRPExplorer and a hex editor... but that got really messy and ugly.
The main problem is that the sheer amount of information stored in a plSound object can't be fit into the Blender GUI without a tonne of text properties. I think we all know how fun it is to have 100+ text properties attached to an object *yech*.
I might generate a default plSound object which does the bare minimum of playing the sound, looping, without a defined 3D location; then allow people to edit the properties further with PRPExplorer/HuruStudio.

Anyways, I'm hoping to have sounds implemented in the near future, I'll keep you up-to-date about what happens with them :)
Paradox

Re: Sound Development

Postby Aloys » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:25 pm

I only understand about half of what you just wrote but I agree about two things:
- Any progress that can be made to include sound in our toolset is a good thing
- The simpler it can be to use it the better. :)
Aloys

Postby Chacal » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:04 pm

Yay!
I was about to beg you to release details on how you had done it previously.
Sound is so important to me that I will not start working on an Age until I can get an environment sound in it.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Trylon » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:15 am

Paradox wrote:The main problem is that the sheer amount of information stored in a plSound object can't be fit into the Blender GUI without a tonne of text properties. I think we all know how fun it is to have 100+ text properties attached to an object *yech*.
I might generate a default plSound object which does the bare minimum of playing the sound, looping, without a defined 3D location; then allow people to edit the properties further with PRPExplorer/HuruStudio.

Can't we use AlcScript? (At the very least it's easier to edit)
Without AlcScript properties, the plSound object would export to bare minimum, and with added AlcScript properties, functionalitity could increade.

(Ok, I know I really should do an AlcScript tutorial, and implement more features using AlcScript ;) )
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Paradox » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:30 pm

In the most vague sense of the term: It works! :D

Once the drawable support is completely bug-free, the branch will be merged into the trunk and appear in the snapshots.
Paradox

Postby Whilyam » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:52 pm

Paradox wrote:In the most vague sense of the term: It works! :D

Once the drawable support is completely bug-free, the branch will be merged into the trunk and appear in the snapshots.

For the uninitiated I'm assuming this means "once the code is bug-free, it will be added to the program and appear in a new release"?
Whilyam

Postby Trylon » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:56 pm

Not entirely accurate, but close enough ;)
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Erik » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:46 am

I can't wait! :D
This would really bring user-created Ages to life!
Erik

Postby Paradox » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:58 pm

SoftVolumes...

The idea of volumes is to confine something to a certain space. Usually used for lights and sounds, it's especially useful in an Age like Ahra Pahts where you want to confine something to your specific shell.

Now, I can get a basic sound to export and play, no problems there. As soon as I try to confine it to a specific area it never gets played, even when I'm within the bounds of the volume.
Zrax suggested that perhaps the softVolume works in reverse, muting the sound when you are within the volume, but that didn't make a difference either.

Interestingly, Cyan usually doesn't use softvolumes to confine sounds, instead they prefer to use regions to start/stop the sound and only play it for the local avatar (so everyone in the city doesn't hear the Hall of Kings music when you run past, only you hear it). Unfortunately, using regions requires messages and complicated responderModifier objects that give me bad headaches when I think about them for any length of time... so that's (hopefully) not an option right now.

So, if anyone knows anything about SoftVolumes, please let me know so that I can stop tearing my hair out. ;)
Paradox

Postby Jojon » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:09 am

Paradox wrote:So, if anyone knows anything about SoftVolumes, please let me know so that I can stop tearing my hair out. ;)

No idea, but I suppose it couldn't be a simple matter of normals direction, could it?
Jojon

Next

Return to Paradox's Journal