Ahra Pahts Shell 410

Re: Ahra Pahts Shell 410

Postby Chacal » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:06 am

Add 600 faces and animations for each squirrel.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Aloys » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:42 am

Haha. 600 face for something so small I would refuse the shell. ;)

3300 face may sound high for a tree, but currently that fits decently with the number of polygons for the rest of the Age. (plus it's a nice looking tree. :) )

It's difficult to properly estimated a ressource (polygon/textures) budget for a shell, essentially because right now all of the Age is being rendered at the same time. We have no rendering optimisation of any kind: no occlusion, no level of detail, no dynamic loading of pages etc.. So right now there's roughly 50000 polygons being renderedd at any time just for the city structure, if you add the Hub, the Nexus (yes it is calculated too :( ), the shells etc, the polycount goes throught the roof very quickly.. (and that's not even counting the textures).
But that might change in the future as PyPRP progress (at least I hope. :shock: ). At which point, ressources allocation will be calculated differently. So how many polygons and textures should go in a shell? It's not possible to give a precise number, the lesser the better of course, but that doesn't really help us either.
This not much of a problem for now, but as more shells will start to come in this will become one. :(
Aloys

Postby Chacal » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:10 am

Has anyone found out how vis regions work for uru?
Chacal

-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Aloys » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:33 am

I remember someone saying long ago that they would be quite easy to implement (or was that for relevance regions?), but because I'd probably be the only one to actually use them I didn't try to push that up on the development priority list.. :(
Aloys

Postby mar » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:04 pm

What are vis regions :?: :?: :?:
mar

Postby Chacal » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:47 pm

It's a device for getting a better performance at rendering time.

Let's say you are in a cave, obviously you shouldn't be able to see what's outside the cave, so it makes no sense for the game engine to render the outside. By using vis regions, it is possible for the builder to tell the game engine: "if the player is here, render only this".

I used to build levels for the Quake engine, and the building tool automatically calculated vis (visible) information at export time (along with baking the lights, etc). I have no idea how this would work for the Plasma engine.
Chacal

-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Trylon » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:11 pm

I looked into it a bit, and it should be easily possible. If the soft volumes are implemented correctly that is....
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby mar » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:32 pm

Thanks for the explanation
mar

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:34 pm

Aloys wrote:I remember someone saying long ago that they would be quite easy to implement (or was that for relevance regions?), but because I'd probably be the only one to actually use them I didn't try to push that up on the development priority list.. :(

I was talking about Relevance Regions ;)
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Aloys » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:05 pm

Well, honnestly given the ever-decreasing performance and ever increasing load times in Ahra Pahts, I'll take anything at this point: relevance regions,vis regions, anything.. :)
Aloys

PreviousNext

Return to Paradox's Journal