A little progress report

Moderators: Trylon, Paradox

A little progress report

Postby Trylon » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:34 am

A little report on the progress of pyprp's new upgrade...

Two days ago, I finally was able to get all my changes to actually run. It's amazing how many slight typo's and stupid omissions one can get when writing code :)

Anyways, when I was finalyl able to run the exporter, my age crashed. Yesterday I was able to figure out that this was due to the physical objects, where I probably have made a few tiny errors...
Anyway, when that was out of the way I could safely link into my age, though I was still greetes with a large blackness, that was only disturb ed by my brightly lit avatar :)
Turns out after inspection that all the vertices were there, but somehow th faces were missing - another thing to fix.

On the bright side, I can report that full implementation of AlcScript has been going quite smoothly. You can expect to do quite some settings there, instead of in those annoying logic properties in the future. Logic properties are going to disappear for the most part (yes, that's actuaslly a good thing :P)
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Re: A little progress report

Postby Trylon » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:47 am

Okay, things are looking way better now - the physics are working pretty well now, and the visuals are working fine again.

Next stop is the importer, getting that right again, and then it's off to rewrite some other stuff like logicals and the sort.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Trylon » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:33 am

And as an added bonus:
paradox is working on finally implenting sound in PyPRP :)
Currently we're as far as being able to play ambient sounds in a test-age, with all objects being entirely PyPRP generated.
Trylon

Postby Marcello » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:17 pm

You guys are amazing! Can't wait!
Marcello

Postby Trylon » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:29 pm

Add to that that the importer is making good progress...

Importing of Drawables and Physicals works excellent with the new style.
The new Drawable importer also combines all the objects in which plasma stores a drawable back into one object, with support for multiple materials.

And the new exporter also doesnt generate spearate vertices for each face anymore, it does so only when neccesary (e.g. if two adjacent faces don't have an adjacent uv mapping). This should save up to 75% in vertex usage.
Oh, it also supports apha vertex painting now.

Ofcourse, there are still quite a few bugs to squash and previous functonality to re-implement, but it should be releasable withing the week...
Trylon

Postby Marcello » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:43 am

Alpha vertext painting? Does this means we can use vertex painting to blend textures? If so does the new (highy anticipated ;) ) plugin also support multiple UV maps per mesh/object?
Marcello

Postby Trylon » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:52 am

It does, my friend :)

However, I haven't yet done the part where you can choose in the layer which uv/map is used...
Trylon

Postby Nadnerb » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:10 am

I too, have been greatly anticipating alpha paint. It should be much easier to integrate into blender now that it supports multiple layers of vertex coloring, as well as multiple uv layers.

I await the new version with great anticipation. :D
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Marcello » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:42 pm

I wish you could see me do the happy dance I'm doing right now Trylon!! :D :lol:
Marcello

Postby Trylon » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:54 am

I know, I keep letting you wait...

Thing is, once you start to rework something, you discover all sorts of things that depended on the old way of doing things.

e.g. ladder regions, swimregions, clickregions and soundregions.

I rewrote the ladder and swim classes, and for some reason now they aren't working properly.
I spent about two days on that, and decided to continue with the other major part - clickregions and soundregions.

As you may or may not know, clickregions and sound regions have been kind of a static hack until now.
That is, while it did use the logic classes that uru has, it basically manually defined a lot of classes in one way, to only support one way of doing stuff. A big shortcoming. With the new AlcScript system, it is relatively easy to define a way to "script" the logic objects yourself - allowing for as much flexiblilty as is reasonably possible.

I know, this sounds all a bit abstract. So lets just give the know-how version for those who understand it:
Wich alcscript you can customize the logic objects on objects. Beginning with setting DetectorModifiers, ConditionalObjects, and ending with fully customized Python File mods and ResponderModifiers.

It's a bit limited at first ofcourse, since we are still lacking the implementation of a number of logic classes, and way more message types but once it's in place it shoudl be easily extensible....

On the other subject, please tell me if you want to have the new version in the trunk before or after I fixed the swimming, climbing and (if needed, as I didn't test it yet) camera's
Trylon

Next

Return to Scripting Journal