A little progress report

Moderators: Trylon, Paradox

Re: A little progress report

Postby Aloys » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:18 am

Call me dense, but this is such a radical change I'm still trying to figure out some stuff. (if you have already answered this I have missed it)
How will collision work for static objects now? With regular object properties gone I assume this is all handled by Alcscript now. (actually I guess good old properties will still be have some legacy support, but let's forget that for now).
What will be the easy and fast way to add properties to a static object? Are you working on some quickscript for that too?
Aloys

Re: A little progress report

Postby Trylon » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:22 am

Oh, logic properties an sich aren't gone - they can be useful still, for simple settings.

Summary of current physicals settings:
  • Setting physical boundaries
    To set a physical boundary, just go to the logic properties panel and click the [bounds] button.
    When it is clicked it will show a drop-down box that can be used to select the type of bounds (box,sphere,convexhull, trianglemesh)
    Once it is set, the object will have collision
  • Making an object dynamic
    In the past, making objects dynamic was associated with these objects having mass.
    In truth, if objects are dynamic, this just means that they have a coordinate interface (aka have a non-identity transformation matrix).
    So, I severed the relationship between dynamic objects and mass - even without collision, an object can have mass now.
    Just press the [actor] button in the same logic properties panel to make an object dynamic
  • Making an object kickable
    To make an object kickable, and additional step is needed.
    Once you made it an actor, a number of additional buttons appear.
    press the [Dynamic] button to make it a kickable - aka, to make it become a physical object.
    You can now use the mass setting in the panel that just appeared to set the mass.
  • Friction and elasticity
    For friction and elasticity, you can still use the good-old logic properties.
    just make a float property and call it either "rc" or "el" depending on what you want to use.

NOTE: When you don't specify friction, it is assumed to be infinite friction - and the appropriate flag that makes it frictionless to the avatar is set.
  • Physical game logic settings
    We used to have the col_flags0 property to set whether the position of a kickable object was stored, or if it was a detector object, etc.
    Now you can use the logic property "physlogic" - which should be a string.

It can havethe following properties:
    "none" - (0000) - nothing
    "storepos" - (0100) - makes kickables appear at their last known spot upon re-entering an age
    "resetpos" - (0200) - makes kickables appear at their original spot upon re-entering an age
    "detect" -(0400) - neccesary for detector regions and clickables

Now, the new pyprp does apretty good job autodetecting these settings, so you shouldn't need to bother with it
    It defaults to "resetpos" on non-dynamic objects, and to "storepos" on dynamic objects, and "detect" is set automatically when you use the quickscript to make something clickable, or if it is defined as a region
That about covers the new physical interface - more features are planned in the future, but they won't change what I just said above.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Previous

Return to Scripting Journal