[OOC] Prin Pahts

Postby zib_redlektab » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:33 pm

Oooh looking very nice.
Lurker extraordinaire!
http://www.zibland.com
zib_redlektab

Postby Aloys » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:04 pm

Hoo that nexus has changed quite a bit over the last two weeks :) I especially like the crystals, that gives it a bit of identity.
There is one thing that bothers me though. The place looks a bit too large to me. I agree it is still much smaller than the city (of course) but that still looks quite large. I might be wrong though, it is hard to judge distances just from pictures.

I was going to cover up the middle of the central district map image with a triangular "dias" which would contain the structure that has the hub's two linking books. That way, the same generic district texture can be used for all four districts on the map room floor.

That wouldn't be perfect because the courtyards aren't in the same spots in the central district. But it's a good idea, that and the other techniques you suggest should help.
I'll give it some thinking and I'll get back to you this week end. :)

I had totally forgotten this! :ph34r: This is indeed something that needs to be solved. Tell me when you'll get to this part and we'll work on this together if you want. :)
Aloys

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:27 pm

[quote="Aloys"]There is one thing that bothers me though. The place looks a bit too large to me. I agree it is still much smaller than the city (of course) but that still looks quite large. I might be wrong though, it is hard to judge distances just from pictures.

You are right - the room is very spacious. The floor map, just by itself, is not really that big. So, if someone wanted just to walk from one pedestal to the other, it is a short trip. The floor is just big enough to support having pedestals in neighboring courtyards with just enough spacing in between. The reason that the room itself looks huge is that the walls first slope outwards from the three sides of the map at a very shallow angle; this is required for the avatar to look like it is climbing the stairs properly. Once you reach the ledge, it then slopes back towards the center.

It would be nice to disable the fog while being in this room; don't know if that makes the room look larger than it is.

[quote="Aloys @ Sep 26 2006"]
I had totally forgotten this! :ph34r: This is indeed something that needs to be solved. Tell me when you'll get to this part and we'll work on this together if you want. :)

I plan on doing the floor last. So, if you're willing, what I'll need are two 1024x1024 greyscale textures for the map:
  • One reusable texture for the three outer districts
  • One unique texture for the center district
The lights will take care of coloring the districts automatically, so we don't need the color in the texture. And these textures will not need the numbers; I'll add them as separate "decal" geometry to the floor.

General note to everyone: if anyone has a texture of the 25 D'ni digits that they're willing to share, let me know.

Also, I seem to recall that you had mentioned that you had textured one of Besharen's pedestals in Blender. Is that true? If so, would you mind sending me the Blend file containing the pedestal? I'll then use that in Prin Pahts.

Again - thank you for your help, Aloys. Once Prin Pahts is finished, I'll be glad to help you with its incorporation into Ahra Pahts: how to add the city level clickable books, incorporating the Python scripts, submitting the PRP file, etc.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Aloys » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:40 pm

You are right - the room is very spacious. The floor map, just by itself, is not really that big. So, if someone wanted just to walk from one pedestal to the other, it is a short trip.
Good then. :)
Removing the fog (or diminishing it a lot) might indeed be a good idea though.

So, if you're willing, what I'll need are two 1024x1024 greyscale textures for the map:
One reusable texture for the three outer districts
One unique texture for the center district

Ok I'll do that then.

Also, I seem to recall that you had mentioned that you had textured one of Besharen's pedestals in Blender. Is that true? If so, would you mind sending me the Blend file containing the pedestal? I'll then use that in Prin Pahts.

Yes I had; for this screenshot. However I was worried about the size; they aren't large enough (the book in that screenshot is much smaller than a Relto book). I haven't heard back from Besharen since though.
Aloys

Postby T_S_Kimball » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:25 am

[quote="Robert The Rebuilder"]General note to everyone: if anyone has a texture of the 25 D'ni digits that they're willing to share, let me know.

I may be able to make one easily enough in PSP (I recently collected enough resources so I could add a D'ni numeral 60 for a special texture). Any specific requirements re size and spacing (to make the texture mapping easier)?

I'll look at doing this tomorrow.

--TSK
Timothy S. Kimball | The Kind Healer -- http://sungak.net
Pahts Shells 420 {Basic layout - 70%; Text for books - 20%}
T_S_Kimball

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:09 am

QUOTE (Aloys)
Ok I'll do that then.[/quote]
Terrific, Aloys! Thank you for your help.

QUOTE (Aloys)
Yes I had; for this screenshot. However I was worried about the size; they aren't large enough (the book in that screenshot is much smaller than a Relto book). [/quote]
You are right - they are too small. But that's okay: I'll take the model you have and correct the size. Scaling is easy for me; texturing is the difficult part! :unsure:

QUOTE (T_S_Kimball)
I may be able to make one easily enough in PSP (I recently collected enough resources so I could add a D'ni numeral 60 for a special texture). Any specific requirements re size and spacing (to make the texture mapping easier)?[/quote]

That would be wonderful, TSK! Here's what I'm looking for:
  • Texture size: 256x256
  • D'ni numbers arranged in a 5x5 grid, starting with 0 at the top-left corner and 4 at the top-right corner, ending with 24 at the bottom-right corner
  • Each D'ni number should occupy no more than a 48x48 pixel square
  • In-between each D'ni number, leave 3 pixels of space
  • In-between the D'ni number and the texture border, leave 2 pixels of space (i.e. the margin)
  • Each D'ni number should be white with a black border
  • The background of the texture should have its alpha channel set to 0, while the D'ni numbers should have an alpha value of 255
To further clarify, here's how the horizontal spacing would be on this texture:

|---2--|--48--|--3--|--48--|--3--|--48--|--3--|--48--|--3--|--48--|---2--|
|margin|number|space|number|space|number|space|number|space|number|margin

Thanks again for your help!

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby T_S_Kimball » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:59 pm

First approximation here:

http://sungak.net/av/pics/uru_pics/dnipanel1.tga

I can't seen to get a png saved with alpha under PSP, like I can with a tga (which is the only format I've actually worked with, since SL heavily relies on that for its alphas). Suggestions on other format conversions welcome.

--TSK
T_S_Kimball

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:07 pm

Yes - that's what I was looking for. I can always use Photoshop to convert TGA to PNG, so that's no problem.

Note: the numbers 22, 23 and 24 are switched around - see this link for a reference:

http://www.dnidesk.com/numberchart.jpg

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby T_S_Kimball » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:14 am

Figures, the mapping for the font I'm using is wrong then. :P

Anyway, I've updated it correctly now, same link.

--TSK
T_S_Kimball

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:07 pm

Update:

I textured the bridges, the mini-hub, the steps and the dias.

[Side note about steps: I discovered how difficult it is to properly texture long, wide staircases. Just applying a repeating texture makes it look too fake, like a striped tablecloth was draped over the steps. So, I used all sorts of techniques to vary the texture coordinates while still using the same texture: alternate between regular and mirror-image; offsetting the U coordinates by a random amount; etc. The extra effort was quite worth it, IMHO.]

I removed the fog, which vastly improved the color and contrast.

I replaced the simplistic spot light fixture with an enormous combination stalactite-geode that has a slight glare eminating from its open end. You need to see it to understand what I'm talking about.

I added a detail texture to the floor which gives it a hexagonal tiled appearance.

[Side note about detail textures: an artist friend had once told me, "Make sure your detail textures mipmap to grey." So, I adjusted the levels in Photoshop so that the bell curve was centered (in all four channels). And he was right - the tile pattern fades into nothing in the distance. If you don't enable mipmaps on your detail textures, it will appear grainy in the distance.]

I brightened the crystal texture so that it actually looks like it can be a credible light source.

I also softened the lighting, using the Quad1 parameter.

Pictures:
TODO:
  • Texture Besharen's pedestals
  • Incorporate Aloys' Ahra Pahts city map textures (when it becomes available)
  • Incorporate T.S. Kimball's final D'ni numeral texture (when it becomes available) as decals applied to the floor. NOTE: need to do research on how Plasma does decals...
  • Apply detail texture to cavern walls
  • Add footstep regions
  • Add a carving of a stylized image of the actual Hub on the dias and the upper level. This would be in lieu of a D'ni numeral, since the Hub doesn't have a shell number.
  • Modify script to display a close-up of linking book when it is touched
...and then it will be complete!

NOTE: As always, you can download and explore Prin Pahts; see the initial post in this topic.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

PreviousNext

Return to Robert's Journal