[OOC] Prin Pahts

Re: Prin Pahts

Postby Paradox » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:43 pm

I guess that this seems to be the best place to make a suggestion. The friction on the nexus floor in a bit too low, and it can be very difficult to stop in front of a specific book.

If I manage to get responders and a few other things working, might we consider implementing the books the same way that Cyan does (avatar animations, seek points, porper alignment of the avatar, etc.)?
Paradox

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:11 am

Paradox wrote:I guess that this seems to be the best place to make a suggestion. The friction on the nexus floor in a bit too low, and it can be very difficult to stop in front of a specific book.

One of the Maintainers, Jishin, had said the same thing on their Ahra Pahts inspection thread. To be clear, we're talking about the skidding that occurs after running, right? Because when you're walking, you come to an immediate stop. Anyway, I had cranked the friction to 50(!), but it still results in skidding when you stop running. So, at this point, I don't know how to fix this - but it is a problem for all surfaces.

Paradox wrote:If I manage to get responders and a few other things working, might we consider implementing the books the same way that Cyan does (avatar animations, seek points, porper alignment of the avatar, etc.)?

That would be great, Paradox!
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Nadnerb » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:46 am

Robert The Rebuilder wrote:To be clear, we're talking about the skidding that occurs after running, right? Because when you're walking, you come to an immediate stop. Anyway, I had cranked the friction to 50(!), but it still results in skidding when you stop running. So, at this point, I don't know how to fix this - but it is a problem for all surfaces.

I might point out that BobLishman posted a solution to this earlier. Apparently if you set all of these collision flags, you will be able to get rid of the skidding. I've tested it, and it works. http://forum.guildofwriters.com/viewtopic.php?p=1230#p1230
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:32 am

Thanks, Nadnerb! Setting that col_flags5 "disable friction" bit eliminated the sliding entirely. Look for the fix in a future update to Ahra Pahts.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:52 am

I've ported Prin Pahts to the new plugin. To make it easier to navigate, I added Arabic numerals alongside their D'ni counterparts. No more modulus 25 mathematics!

I also incorporated Ghostwriter's excellent atmospheric music that triggers when you link in.

Here's some pictures:

That will probably be the last modifications I make for a while, until I can figure out how to use seek points and trigger linking animations.

Hopefully you all can get a chance to see/hear this in the next Ahra Pahts update.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Grogyan » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:16 am

I downloaded your Shell, which included the music for Prin, can't imagine any more can be done with it, it looks and sounds awesome, a real treat :)
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:14 am

Thanks, Grogyan! I take it that you used the link I gave to the maintainers?

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Grogyan » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:23 pm

I did, yes.
I wantd to have a closer look at you implemented puzzles, and look at the coding (naughty I know) cause in my shell I have 2 moving objects, one that will have to be coded with that physics warp and the other is just straight physics, but need to code in if its moving or not.

I also wanted to see how with your puzzle locks how you managed to have several clickable buttons in a small space, as I will have a similar poblem in my shell too.

Well done with your shell, and even with reading the code, I couoldn't work out the combination to the locks :)
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Previous

Return to Robert's Journal