[IC] Shell 111

Re: Shell 111

Postby Chacal » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:58 pm

It definitely gives me that "Rendez-vous with Rama" feeling.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:04 pm

...I came across several colorful geodes.

You're killing me Robert!

But anyway, I'm pretty impressed by how well your shell is coming along! The exterior view looks well done, and the mere fact that you have a security panel at all is downright awesome. It really works and opens the door? Wow! On the minus side, I have to admit that your obelisk reminds me of a giant domino. :) But does it increase your intelligence?--that's the real question. If it does, can I borrow it for my finals? :D
Jennifer_P

Postby pappou » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:42 am

Very impressive street atmosphere, Robert. Most surprising to me is that the street retains its ambiance even with the '50s glass facade flying above it. And i am wondering why the street scene remains relatively unaffected by what in most accounts would be called an 'ugly facade'.

One saving grace may be the nice curve you give to the flowing silhouette of the glass wall.

But anything else, i think, must be due to the power of the street level itself. One thing that seems to help move the glass wall out of conflict is that the one story high street scene is set at the same height all around. By not varying that height (by resisting the impulse toward cute variations and strange height irregularities) you have set a ceiling over the street volumes – it is a glass ceiling, to be sure, but its perceptual presence is quite strong and, in this case, very helpful. To me, it works to keep the curvy glass wall from seeming as out of place as (in retrospect) i really think it should be.

1. Now i am really wondering how 'crystal palace' above the street level is going to affect your decisions on the interior – esp. as you climb up into the (architectural) structure.

2. Earlier you had some of those '50s aluminum mullions from above dropping down into the entry; but since adding the control panel, that '50s storefront stuff is gone, and i think for the better. So, i am wondering what goes back in its place: Surely something more in keeping with ground level motifs?

3. The big light pedestal in the piazzetta in front is a very nice design.

4. Do you have a site plan for this area, which you can show us?

5. I also enjoy the skinny columns on either side of the big entry door, which have the nice Egyptian fans at top -- this causes them to act as both capital and freeze decoration.

6. I am less keen about the double cols you use in the courtyard shot, where even as mere decoration it is contrary to man and nature to let columns run to the key stone of an arch.

Again, the feeling of the textures and (perhaps exuberant) decorations at the street level is so strong that it overcomes all these nit-picky objections. I am most anxious to see more still screen shots. This is really a nice street.
pappou
pappou

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:53 am

You should know, pappou, that the street, walls, lampposts and courtyards are done by aloys. All I've worked on are the contents of the shell. But thank you for your wonderful comments! And if you haven't done so already, I encourage you to visit the city of Ahra Pahts and explore its wonderful streets.

Since this is going to be a puzzle once I'm finished, I'm afraid I cannot be forthcoming with layout diagrams or explanations of design choices.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:47 pm

Work is going very well on this shell. I've just completed the observation deck atop the central structure. The banner fabric finally arrived, and I've attached it to the railings. They're difficult to see from the ground level, but they sure are beautiful up close. I've also made large tapestries to cover three of the structure's sides, to add some much needed color.

I no longer need the construction frames, so I've taken them down and returned them - along with all the rock cutting and heavy lifting equipment. Just need to do some final checks and tests this weekend, and I'll open it up to the general public.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Chacal » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:57 pm

Oh! It was a construction frame!
:o

I thought it was some kind of permanent wire fence.
It looks much better this way.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:42 am

CRAP!!! Why in the world didn't I do something about this earlier...

So, this morning I visited my shell for a final inspection before releasing it to the public. And that's when I discovered this mess:

Looks like that "hairline crack" I discovered in that obelisk weeks ago went deeper than it seemed. That hunk of marble must have had more impurities than I thought. And because I was in such a hurry to finish this up, I didn't bother replacing it. Now look what happened: it split in half, crashed against the shell wall (causing substantial damage) and split again.

There's no time to fix all this. All I can do is put up a fence to prevent that huge chunk on the roof from crushing anyone, then let people in. If you visit my shell, please don't get too close to this - keep your distance! I don't want anyone to get hurt.

This makes it harder for people to discover how to get to the top - much harder. But not impossible.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby pappou » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:16 am

That chunk on the ledge looks pretty precariously balanced, Robert. I would't walk under it.

But HEY! The lights are still on. And no conduit comes out of the broken marble. How do they work?
pappou
pappou

Postby Trylon » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:49 am

probably several nuclear batteries :P
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby RedSoxFan » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:45 pm

Today I finally made my way to Alpha Pahts. Thanks to many years of travel on the Boston subway (Red Line, Blue Line etc) and a little refresher on the D'ni numbering system I was able to find shell 111.

I knocked but no one was there. I couldn't resist giving the lock a try. That has to be one of the best security devices going! Fellow Explorers be warn! It took me awhile to get back and that is why I find myself here looking for clues. Love the pictures but do they contain clues?? Hmmm, 4 colors and dots...

BEGONE!
RedSoxFan

PreviousNext

Return to Robert's Journal