Bimevi Journal

Re: Bimevi Journal

Postby Jojon » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:05 am

Yes, far enough to make it clear the spinning pentagons. The head of the statue may be more difficult, though, since I can forsee complications resulting from moving the sprite so far it clears the hat and torso too. :7
Jojon

Postby D'nial » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:23 pm

When Uru is open source, it needs to have a system that puts all light source sprites onto a layer right in front of the camera, and turns them on or off depending on whether or not an object is obscuring the light source. You know, the way civilised games render light sources. :P I think Eder Tsogal has such a programme at work for the sun already, albeit a crude version that has glare/no glare, rather than varying intensities.

(This is coming from the guy who has no experience of programming such things yet; pick apart at will.)
If I had a signature, this is where it would be...
D'nial

Location: In a world where all men are guilty until proven dead!

Postby Nadnerb » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:37 pm

As you say, this functionality already exists in plasma. The only place it seems to have been used in Uru to date is tsogal, but it is available in PotS, and so can already be used. It is called the fadeOpacityMod and should be available in the next release of pyprp. (I believe it is in the trunk already) When used on an object with noZRead set in it's material, it will behave as described. The main issue comes from the fact that putting the center inside a light source object would cause the center to be permanently occluded. I haven't played around with workarounds for this much, but this should work with wall lights, and lights without visible source objects.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Jusme » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:27 pm

I noticed that I can walk on the surface of your little pond and just to give you a break from all the other things you need to do....I love that I can walk on water...It IS possible!

Great job so far and keep it up for the grand unveiling...lol
Jusme

Postby Whilyam » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:20 am

Hmm. You shouldn't be able to. Or at least I wasn't able to.
Whilyam

Postby Chacal » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:00 am

Next, Jusme will change water into wine.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Christian Walther » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:33 pm

Nadnerb wrote:It is called the fadeOpacityMod and should be available in the next release of pyprp. (I believe it is in the trunk already)

Not that I know of. Paradox mentioned it here and, according to the commit message, added it to his contrib branch in r397, but so far it hasn't made it into the trunk, and for the release we're past feature freeze.
Christian Walther

Postby Paradox » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:20 pm

I believe the reason that it wasn't merged to trunk is because we are still looking at it and how it can be used. As Nadnerb said, there are a few known issues where the sprite will not draw at all if the centre of the object is occluded by a mesh. In my tests, it didn't work reliably, and I'd rather wait and have a full understanding ratherthan trying to help people use a feature that we don't understand.
Paradox

Previous

Return to Whilyam's Journal