Fens Journal

Re: Fens Journal

Postby Tweek » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:44 am

I thought you were adding wavesets?

Looks good, improved textures look nice and I like the flying bird creature.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby diafero » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:59 am

Yes, the bird is cool. I noticed one visual glitch though (it seems a Maintainer was not careful enough :D ). When I come close to one of the bigger islands, there's a translucent layer which gets less transparent as I approach the island. However, this layer is about 20cm above the water. However, that doesn't make any sense, how can there be a floating layer 20cm above the water? I think what you want to achieve is the water to be partly transparent, which is a great idea, but currently it looks wired :)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Whilyam » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:55 pm

Tweek wrote:I thought you were adding wavesets?

Looks good, improved textures look nice and I like the flying bird creature.

I was. The problems being 1: it added lag and 2: I was never able to get the waveset to reflect properly mainly because it was so large. Standing from the main island, you saw this enormous reflection of a tiny plant off in the distance. This is likely why Cyan never uses it for ares with as many independent objects as Fens has.

diafero wrote:Yes, the bird is cool. I noticed one visual glitch though (it seems a Maintainer was not careful enough :D ). When I come close to one of the bigger islands, there's a translucent layer which gets less transparent as I approach the island. However, this layer is about 20cm above the water. However, that doesn't make any sense, how can there be a floating layer 20cm above the water? I think what you want to achieve is the water to be partly transparent, which is a great idea, but currently it looks wired :)

Could you send me a screenshot of where you mean? I didn't do anything, that I remember, to simulate a partially transparent swamp.
Whilyam

Postby diafero » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:08 am

In the half transparent area, near the link-in island, the water goes to my hip:
fens0.jpg
fens0.jpg (122.5 KiB) Viewed 5230 times

Then, while going on, it gets transparent, and from the knees on downwards, it's no longer transparent:
fens1.jpg
fens1.jpg (117.81 KiB) Viewed 5234 times

Then I go some steps on, and suddenly the waters goes only to my knees - without my avatar going up:
fens2.jpg
fens2.jpg (109.59 KiB) Viewed 5234 times
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Whilyam » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:37 pm

Fixed and uploaded! You should be able to update your old Fens installation by re-downloading the new files from the ULM.
Whilyam

Postby diafero » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:51 am

Yes, the new version doesn't contain this problem anymore - great and thanks :)

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Szark » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:37 am

Thanks Whilyam for another good age. I love it, though I haven't spent much time in Fens as I would like. But from what I have seen it looks good. Keep up the excellent progressive writing Whilyam. I look forward to seeing more of your work.
Szark

Postby Whilyam » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:21 am

Slowly working on some additions for Fens.
Whilyam

Postby Marcello » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:07 am

Cool! I loved spending time there!
Marcello

Postby Whilyam » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:47 pm

Minor updates will be coming to Fens "soon" :lol:
Whilyam

PreviousNext

Return to Whilyam's Journal