Fens Journal

Re: [Swamp] Journal

Postby Nadnerb » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:19 pm

No, there is no upper limit on lights per file, but due to a directx hardware restriction, only 8 lights can affect a single object at a time. Usually this is enough, unless the object in question is large enough to have a huge number of lights affecting it simultaneously, in which case, only the first 8 (essentially random order) will actually affect it. In this case, generally it works to split the object up until only 8 lights are affecting each piece.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Whilyam » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:08 am

Strange. These are different, small objects. No more than maybe two affecting the same region.
Whilyam

Postby Whilyam » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:55 pm

Very strange. It seems only 8 work in the entire age. Regardless, this is very close to release. :D
Whilyam

Postby Whilyam » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:22 pm

Modeling is finished! I still need to put more copies of some plants around and maybe tweak some of the textures, but the age is otherwise finished.

Added a small hut model. It will still need texturing, but that shouldn't take very long.

Now I need some things I can't take care of myself. First of all, sounds (and the code to implement them). Secondly the code to put in both a credits journal and a customizable journal for IC. If anyone can help out with that, please let me know.
Whilyam

Postby Whilyam » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:04 pm

Sounds (almost) finished! I thought footstep sounds were going to be harder to put in than they were. The only sound really needed now is the ambient swamp noise.

Tomorrow, I'll finish populating the swamp with the plants and get to work constructing the journal that will go in the age.
Whilyam

Postby Whilyam » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:52 pm

The penultimate hurdle! Dreaded "programming" aka "Wiring". Sounds are fully implemented and the age could really be released now except for the issue with the alpha texture not having enough alpha-ness. Once/if the journal script hurdle can be surmounted, I'll look more into what can be done about the texture.

Nearly there! :D
Whilyam

Postby Whilyam » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:54 pm

The Age is finished, ready for release. I went back to a non-alpha texture to fix the problem with the textures and the journals are coded. I've got some great ideas for developing this age. I hope the rest of the community will help as well.

Thanks to Donahoo for the great ambient sounds.
Thanks to D'lanor, Andy Legate, and Robert the Rebuilder for their help holding my hand as I shot holes in basic logic when it comes to programming :P

I hope to have many more people to thank by the end of this and hope the age fulfills your expectations. :D
Whilyam

Re: Fens Journal

Postby Whilyam » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:13 pm

Work on bringing the Age up to date with 1.5.0 started. A lake of lime jell-o has appear in the age an we've lost ambient lighting for some reason. Experimenting with getting the shoreline algae and grass textures working properly. Also might update textures with higher resolution versions once everything else is happy.
Whilyam

Postby Chacal » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:15 pm

Whilyam wrote:A lake of lime jell-o has appear in the age

Hospital Age! :D
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Whilyam » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:32 am

Still alive. :D

Textures got a big upgrade (so everything looks different) as well as some fun little additions. The waveset might be leaving, though, as it's slightly laggy.
Whilyam

PreviousNext

Return to Whilyam's Journal