"Broken Machinery Age" Project Summary

"Broken Machinery Age" Project Summary

Postby ChaosSong » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:18 pm

Revised Project Outline:

Broken Machinery Age

I. Arrival - the explorer arrives in an age that used to be used for mining volitale gasses.
--A. Extensive damage can be seen to the mining equipment, walls etc.
--B. Evidence of fires, burned notes etc...
----1. Among the damaged notes, there are three logbooks from three different chemists
----2. The chemists' notes provide the formula for fuel for an aceyteline torch-like device that can be found later in the age
----3. A welder's mask can be found - this will be required to operate the torch
--C. Two map proposals:
----1. http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd138/Gorobay/GoW/brkn.jpg
----2. http://home.comcast.net/~chaoss/rig.jpg

II. Control Room - central facility used to monitor mining operations
--A. This room features a map of the various mine shafts, five of these are accessible to the explorer, but there could be more on the map that are blocked.
--B. This room has a setup for containing and mixing gasses that will be used to create fuel for the torch.
----1. perhaps a gadget for testing mixtures
------a. incorrect formula fizzles and smokes
------b. correct formula throws off a shower of sparks
------c. perhaps five identifier results for pure samples
----2. several non-functional controls and monitors would help with atmosphere
----3. the Mixer:
------a. can hold twenty-five volume units consisting of up to three types of five availible gasses
------b. can produce a testible product out of combonations of one, two, or three gasses as long as it is holding 25 volume units

III. Offices and Quarters - radial around the control room lie several offices and living quarters
--A. the offices would contain the notes required to measure out the correct combo of gasses for the torch-fuel
----1. notes from all three Chemisits would need to be examined for a complete formula
------a. damaged notes and internal disagreements could prompt the need to see all three versions
------b. these notes are also a chance to show some conflict between the Miners and the Chemists who were stationed here, perhaps hint at the disaster that caused the damage.
----2. instructions for the mining machines could be found in a miner's office - good place for the mask
--B. Living quarters would be more for show featuring:
----1. personal effects and artwork
----2. journals detailing the crisis and or evacuation
--C. Formula Puzzle
----1. A convention has developed here regarding the easy recording of gas formulae
------a. Each of five availible gasses is represented by a color
------b. A D'ni Number is used to represent volume
------c. All foumula equal volume 25 eg:
--------i. Blue D'ni 25
--------ii. Blue D'ni 17 Green D'ni 8
--------iii. Blue D'ni 13 Green D'ni 7 Red D'ni 5
------d. Journal damage could force explorers to derive illegible portions
------e. A Miner's Journal will give the central clue of which three formulae to average out to mix the torch-fuel
----2. Perhaps a pure sample (volume = 25) of each gas will have to be tested to crack color code

IV. Mine Shafts - long shafts reach far underground feature a delivery system for transporting containers filled with gas
--A. at the bottom of each shaft a device (that may require minor repair) can be used to mine a small portion of gas and deliver it up to the control room
----1. a sequence showing the container being zipped up to the control room would be neat
----2. a nice hissing sound as the container is filled
----3. The small containers must be filled at the bottom of the shaft, volume injected into the canister is accessible here
------a. perhaps a pure sample (volume=25) of each gas must be tested to discover the corresponding color code
------b. visuals provided by Sudre availible on pg 8 of main thread
--B. inaccessible shafts could be blocked by cave-ins, fallen machenery, or maybe swirling gas or a danger-meter that the avi will refuse to enter
--C. Five shafts will be accessible, one for each availible gas

V. Machine Room - a chaotic tumble of machinery featuring a broken drive shaft that must be welded together to move a gear (likely to reval an exit)
--A. before welding, the machine can be turned on, the drive half of the shaft will spin while the gear shaft is stationary, the break between them is small but enough to prevent operation
--B. The welding torch will be here, perhaps it will need to be moved into position, it will not work until appropiate fuel has been mixed
----1. if the torch is activated without fuel, it will produce a starter spark
----2. if the torch is ignighted with fuel but the explorer isn't wearing the mask, the avi will shield their face and step away from it
--C. Twelve non-functional large gas containers, likley the source of the explosion

VI. Shopping List
--A. Names - Linguists?
----1. Age Name
----2. Five Character Names - modern day fictional explorers
------a. Two miners, one senior
------b. Three chemists, one senior
----3. Five or more fictional gas names
------a. perhaps gasses are named after the crew
------b. perhaps gasses have another naming scheme (Greek gods etc...)
--B. Concept Art - everything is welcome
--C. Journals - tell your version of the story
KI# 09575827
ChaosSong

Re: "Broken Machinery Age" Project Summary

Postby Luetwo » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:30 pm

Reading through your description of this age, a name popped into my head. If you like it, you can ose it. ARONNTAS. Actually it started out as AERONNTAS. I guess you could also drop one of the N's.
Luetwo

Return to ChaosSong's Journal