Objects for a world

Moderator: greypiffle

Postby greypiffle » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:00 am

I'm working on Objects for a new world. I intend to have statues for various gods.
I downloaded and installed the freee Daz studio, and paid a bit of money for various figures, and came up with this boy/god statue pose for one of my "gods"

What do you all think?

Daz Studio can be downloaded with a default female to pose free at http://www.daz3d.com/
TrueSpace and Harry Potter. like Peanut butter and jelly.
greypiffle

Postby Branan » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:33 am

There's a little bit of pinching in the elboes and knees... but other than that the geometry looks pretty good. You might actually want to get rid of some detail, especially on the eyes and ears. They're very hard to carve, and usually aren't fully detailed. That will also drop the poly count. You should try to get it down around a single Uru avatar (I don't know what that count is, though someone around here probably does). The texture is also a touch too uniform, variations in the color and the bumps would go a long way to making it look more realistic.

Sorry if I sound nit-picky. It's actually very good.
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Aloys » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:59 am

As PoK said the model and the pose are nice, but the poly count looks quite high.
How many faces does the model have? Over ten thousands?

As a comparison a full-detail avatar in Uru is around 5000 faces. But that's the full-detail version; ie: the one that is displayed only when really up-close, when it takes up three fourth of the screen.. The regular version of the avatars are around 1000 faces..
Depending on the size of the statue in the environment, and where it will be use you might want to use a lower-resolution version.
Aloys

Postby greypiffle » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:19 am

How about this one? I've changed to pose around and got rid of the sharp bend to the bent arm. I still want it to look like it is carved, but I think I need to play around with the polygon reduction tool a bit before I get a final.

I added the second figure to give you an Idea of the size of the statue.
greypiffle

Postby Branan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:05 pm

That texture made all the difference! you still probably want to work on poly reduction, probably by hand (polygon reduction tools tend to be rather irritating. They always seem to pull out exactly the wrong polys)
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby greypiffle » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:03 am

I noticed that. there are 56001 faces and 55869 vertices to the figure, but even if I only get rid of 10% of them, it streatches the head to the ear using the TrueSpace polygon reduction tool... there is another tool that may do it better, and I even used it once during a tutorial, but I cannot remember where it is!!! :P
I'm sure I will find it soon
greypiffle

Postby greypiffle » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:33 am

OK, I think I have it. by changing the texture just a bit, and using a function called Simplify I've got it down quite a bit.

4245 faces and 2133 vertices

What do you all think?

greypiffle

Postby Aloys » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:46 pm

Ah, 4200 faces is much better. :)
Do you intend to have other statues near this one? If yes, the scene might become a bit heavy, and just to be safe it would be better to have each of them as low polygon as possible (while still looking good of course). I think you could lower it to something around 2500 and it would still look good.
Depending on what kind of scene it will be put in you might not need it though.
Aloys

Postby greypiffle » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:45 pm

I will have several statues in different poses. But they will be in differen areas of the "world". Something to walk around and look at.
greypiffle

Postby Aloys » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:59 am

Then your polygon count could be ok for this one. :)
Aloys

Next

Return to Greypiffle's Journal