HOUMALA

HOUMALA

Postby Luetwo » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:50 pm

this age was originally written as a discovered age. However, after hearing the discussions of what Cyan will allow, I am in the process of changing it to a newly written age. Your patience and help will both be appreciated.

As more and more explorers descend upon the cavern, we will need a place that can provide food and beverages. The inhabitants of Houmala grow a plant with a fruit that can be eaten, brewed into a drink and fermented into an alcoholic beverage. The inhabitants survive by eating this fruit and by catching tuber-like sea creatures that are left after the tide has gone back out.

Perhaps I should start with the Age Feature info.
Age type or Guild Affiliation: As I stated earlier this will be a food harvesting age.

Inhabitants: The inhabitants are called nujacs. They are small, stocky creatures with yellow, greenish eyes. They stand about 1.3 meters tall, almost four feet. Thier legs are about half their height and their arms are very long. In fact, their arms drag the ground when they walk if they do not hold them up a little.

Ecosystem and plant life: Most of this place is a marshy seashore. When the tide comes in, the marsh area is submerged under water. There is a grove of trees planted in this area. When the tide is in, the roots are covered by the water. They are not closely planted as the tops grow fairly wide. a Few tall grasses grow under the trees as well as onto the area not covered by the water. These grasses grow in clumps. These grasses are harvested and used as building materials by the nujacs. As you move away from the water, the ground becomes a little drier. Although it is still a muddy place. This is where the factory sits. The factory is also surrounded by the tall grasses, making the immediate area green as opposed to muddy. Actually I inititally had this place more swampy than just a marsh. I may go back to swamp before I am totally through.

Moons and Celestial Occurences: The sun does not orbit but acts like a yo-yo would. It nears and then fades back. There are three moons that do orbit. The three are what causes the tide to come and leave at such quick intervals. Right now, I have the tide coming in or going out about every six(6) hours.

Weather: It is warm and humid. It rains at least once a day. There is usually a slight breeze: just enough to blow the grasses and cause the trees to sway slightly.
Last edited by Luetwo on Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: adding more material to age
Luetwo

Re: HOUMALA

Postby pappou » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:47 pm

Hi Luetwo

Take a look at this Island Site. It has a nice spot in the chain between the two small mountains at each end. It is a low area covered almost entirely by the rising tide, with a small mound left above high tide:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o206/pappou/17TwinCityIs8x13-2.png
[The scale is on the South side of the map, and represents 1000 meters.]

I suspect you have much more detailed information than that you have posted in your journal, which may make this Island Site unusable. But based on your journal entry, this in-between area should work nicely for the nujacs and their lifestyle. The tidal area could be increased if you need it.

Other peoples would occupy both ends of this Island chain, the Southern end being partially urbanized and industrialized. The Northern end is up for grabs.

I have just now started looking for a place to publish this Island Site, and came across your journal entry. This is a very new Site and thus able to absorb considerable change, and from what you have said, it should be ideal.

So, what do you think?
Last edited by pappou on Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
pappou
pappou

Postby pappou » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:39 am

Tidal Flats Design

You did not mention the fruit plants in your ecology list, so rather than treat the fruit plants like a wild mangrove swamp, i have spread them out amongst the trees.
......Edited 08jan08
High tide will come just below the villiage platform, which connects to the grassy island where the factory sits.

Also, this does not seem too much like Channelwood.

Housing:
1. You may set the grass huts on ground, at a level lower than the factory and scattered around it, but...
2. It seems better to mingle platforms for housing amongst the fruit plants; thus they would be at the same level as the catwalks, woven in to the pattern of fruit plants and catwalks. These would then resemble to some extent the raised housing of the Amazonian Indians, but set within the confines of the fruit plant design.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o206/pappou/AmazonIndianHuts01.jpg

Factory:
would be the hierarchical element in the plan, being higher and set off at the back of the bay, on (more or less) dry grassy land.

What size (in Sq M) do you want for the factory?
What sort of structure do you envision for it?

The Nujacs:
What do you think of this sketch as a specimen of the creature you described? I don't mean it to look like Curious George, so we will move away from that extreme.

Please let me know your thinking on the above issues, and i will then do you a preliminary plan of the area.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o206/pappou/AmazonGrasslandForest03.jpg
Amazon Grassland & Forest
Last edited by pappou on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pappou
pappou

Postby pappou » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:27 am

No problem then if you don't have a predetermined size for things. That tells me enough about certain issues, and others will work out.

So, lets get organized with a list of requirements called:

THE PROGRAM

The Project must be large enough to accommodate the three [four?] main areas, A, B, C, [+D]:

A. Factory Level
the hierarchical element in the plan is the Factory, being higher and set off at the back of the bay,

factory outside is rough and looks as if it belongs in this place
factory inside is polished to a shine, made from the rock at the back of the island, behind the factory.

Behind the factory... grassy area [?] + a very large rocky cliff.

Water cascades down the cliff [but see below] and forms the stream which runs through the factory and provides power for it.
The water then proceeds to run through the grove and out into the sea.

B. Housing Level
dozen nujac homes around a central area.
the homes elevated a little [being on the platforms].

Two attitudes for housing:
i. mingle platforms for housing amongst the fruit plants... “the same level as the catwalks, woven into the pattern of fruit plants and catwalks; and/or

ii. a dozen nujac homes around a central area, elevated to platform level

C. Tidal Level
fruit plants

raised catwalks between fruit plants

catwalks then connect to the grassy island

D. Central Meeting Area
make the central meeting and cooking area at ground level

central meeting area needs to be covered

We could have a fire pit a little off the ground so the rain wouldn't cause the fire to go out.

Pappou's thoughts on the above Program Issues:

1. Power: The Centralized Problem
i. It is difficult for me to subscribe to the Myst phenomenon of having massive amounts of water materialize from the peaks of mountains – i.e.: Relto;
ii. But we may have a large flow of spring water well up and issue forth from the base of the cliffs at the rear of the factory [re sketch]; This can be dramatized nicely;

iii. This flow then cuts across the land and enters the bay; in the process, it will divide one side of the land from the other; primarily, the very important Central Meeting area will be divided by this stream;

iv. Question: Is that division of the Central Meeting and Fireplace area alright?

v. There is also the possibility of steam power from the lava vents nearby; but i do like the idea of the stream as a more visible iconic event; what do you think?

vi. The philosophical result of the division of the land by the stream is a duality of areas: left and right; two large communal fireplaces? two meeting areas?

vii. To my thinking, this stream cannot be covered over to create a unified Central Meeting place; also, the stream may be bridged maybe only once: probably within the Central Meeting area itself;

Generally, the idea of Central Meeting Place with its communal hearth and huge fireplace is very strong concept; but how does this division by the stream affect that centralized concept?

Please give me your thinking on this.

2. Power: Its distribution:
i. The flow of the stream turns a huge water wheel;

ii. From the wheel's rotation a mechanical energy can be taken off to turn belts and pulleys in the two wings of the Factory, one on each side of the Water Wheel;

iii. Also, water can be taken from the stream to fill large tanks to either side of the stream; this water can be used in processing the products of the factory, but also it can be piped out into the Central Meeting Place; there the water can be treated as a communal well, or it can be piped individually to the six huts on each side of the Central Meeting Place;

Please give me your ideas on this water issue.

3. Puzzles
Leutwo, have you given thought to the puzzle for starting up the Power?

Do you have other puzzles in mind?

4. Layout
The forests will cover the tidal flats land but all will be divided by the stream of water flowing into the bay (unless you decide differently);

In the forested area will be the fruit bearing plants which will be arranged according to the raised catwalks, used for harvesting the fruits;

The very important Central Meeting Place may perhaps be divided: To one side could be the massive Fire Place; to the other the communal Water Trough; thus, there is an argument for dividing the Central Meeting Place as discussed above; I think this idea of the Fire vs the Water could work out nicely to concretize the dualistic philosophy;

The Factory will be on the higher land at the back side, and will be topped by large basalt columns soaring up behind the factory and its large circular sluice way, advertising the appearance of the Stream.

Does this make sense, Leutwo? Please let me know where i have not communicated well. The best way to correct my thinking is to use the items of the Program: Add items that i have left out; use it to correct items which i have misinterpreted. Let us expand this Program (of requirements) to keep track of the design, for you can see that things are getting more and more complex. Complexity will only increase.
pappou
pappou

Postby Luetwo » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:34 pm

After reading your comments, I have once again made some changes. Before I actually put them into the journal proper, I thought I would run them past you first.
A. Factory Level --- Am rethinking the waterfall bit in the back of the island. I agree with you that waterfalls have been slightly overdone, perhaps because they are one of the easiest power sources besides wind. As we have the water and tiadal area in the front of the factory, what if we have something like mud pits behind the factory. One of the problems that have to be solved could be to introduce a water drip into one of the mudpits and then catch the steam that is produced and introduce that into the factory as power. (Should note I am thinking mud pits as in the La Brea tar pits in California.)
I am also thinking that some of the steam should not be used in the factory either as power or used to produce the liquid, this could be used in a ditch surrounding the factory. I am thinking the nujacs should clean their feet before entering the factory as they will be mainly walking in mud to harvest the fruit. will discusss this later.

B. Housing---I prefer ii. a dozen nujac homes around a central area. This would mean t hat we could combine area D with this area.

C. Tidal Level---I do not want catwalks under the trees. As I think I have told you that is why the nujacs arms are as long as they are, so they can reach up into the trees and harvest the fruit.

1.Power: I like your idea of using steam power. But I do have a problem with the lave thing. Lava was such a dominant factor in one of the ages already that i hate to use it. What do you think of the mud pits. If I remember correctly from my visit to the La Brea tar pits years ago, the mud is very hot and gaseous. If we slowly drip water into one of these pits, it would produce steam. This steam could them be directed through pipes to the waterwheel, with the drips falling into the pool surrounding the factory.

3.Puzzles: If we use this new idea, we have the puzzle of steam creation. I have an idea using a tear shaped rock that is the key to the door between the office and the factory. Unfortunately, you cannot take the key through the door. Let me see if I can explain this. You insert this rock into a slit in the wall by the door. You can hear the mechanism move but the door does not budge. When you put the stone key back down on the desk, the door slowly opens. As long as the stone is on the desk, the door will remain open. This key is not found on the desk, but in one of the drawers, which is why the door is shut and locked when you first link into the building.

I will be away for a few days, I hope I have given you enough to work with. Will talk with you again when I get back.
Luetwo

Postby pappou » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:44 pm

pappou to Leutwo
25dec07

Without doing a thorough review of what we have discussed, let me list these improvements and see if i have stepped on toes, or if we are in agreement;

First:
There is this latest plan of the TwoCities Island:
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o206/pappou/18TwoCitiesIs8x13-5-2.png

Second:
It resolves the power problem by expanding your notion of the boiling mud – what i think i will call, 'lava mud'; i have settled on a single large pool of lava mud at the far East end of the Island -- just East of the N-S axis from Gastoypahts to the temple, Tsahno; it will support a complex tower which uses steam generated from the lava mud to run turbines that convert electrical power to laser power; at the top of the lava mud tower (see the 'X' in the mud pool) a laser beam may be directed across the Bay to your Factory and to other important points on the Island; using large parabolic receivers, the Houmala Factory and the other locations will convert this beam to electric energy to power the work line or to run the various necessary industries of the Island;

Third:
This new Site Plan 18.5 shows the areas on the Island where the primary local tree type grows (re the grid); these trees were planted more than a thousand years ago in orchards at the tidal level around the Island, and produce beans which have been processed for food to be sent to the Mother City; this tree has a complex history and is an involved part of the culture of the island:
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o206/pappou/Redwall04.jpg

Fourth:
The fruit plants which the nujacs harvest grow within these old groves, and will be as extensive as you think the nujacs can handle – but with only a dozen homes, this will probably not be all that grand a scale;

There will be NO catwalks between rows of fruit plants; the nujacs will pick fruit while standing in the mud; then too, there will be the gathering of the tidal tubers for processing;

There will be a Factory level at the top backside of the high ground between volcanoes, and there will be a Central Meeting Plaza at a lower level; this level also contains the nujac homes on it, and other items as you see fit; I will get you sketch of all this shortly, to see how close i am to your vision of it all;

Fifth:
Two or three wharves are being extended into the shallow Bay with repositories at their tips; you will have one as well; these will serve as loading points for the ships which come from the Mother City to collect the various items processed at TwoCites;

Let me hear you questions, please, Leutwo. And i wish you a blessed Christmas.
pappou
pappou

Postby Luetwo » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:48 pm

I just have a few questions about your last proposal
First: How do we transpost the fruit and drink to the city proper? From your last entry, I take it you are using boats. However with the tide coming in as far as it does, will this cause a problem building a wharf.
Second: I can always increase the population a little. For example, have two circular compounds. One with the residents working in the agricultural side and the other compound working in the factory side. We could even make them look a little different, as their jobs would require different skills.
Third: I am still working on the water situation. We will need a lot of clean water: for the preparation of the drink, to clean the factory and the nujacs before entering the building,
Fourth: And this is a new problem I thought of the other day. Bottles or something to put the drink into before shipment. I had set a couple of bottles on the desk in the office, but have never really thought of them since. Originally, they held samples of the drinks produced.
Fifth: The food source for the nujacs. Do I need to increase the numbers of what is caught each day so that too can be shipped to the city.

There are many other questions, but I have to go right now. Will resume again tomorrow.
Luetwo

Postby pappou » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:29 pm

I sent you a pm yesterday through this GoW. It probably won't answer many of your questions, but i think it will expland your sense of the whole Island's operation. It may give you some ideas about some of the problems you are mentioning.

Let me know what you think of that pm, Proposal 'A', and in the meantime i will work on this last set of questions:

First:
How do we transpost the fruit and drink to the city proper?

The wharf will stick straight out into the Bay. It will take off from the raised level of the Central Meeting area, and run that much above the high tide out to a point where the ships can dock. I don't see any problem with this, since it is really like shipping anywhwere, at least where the water is too shallow along the shore to permit close-in docking. Do you see any problems here that i have missed?

Second:
The problem of the population of workers:

The problem i see with such a small workforce is that exporting goods does not seem very realistic. The subsistence level of a small group consumes all its own products.

Two Central Compounds, or Meeting areas, sounds fine to me; and while this doubling of the numbers seems to work well because work is naturally divided between factory people and the out-of-doors pickers and gathers, that still only doubles a very small work force.

How about this: There is a much larger pool of workers that live in Ahbteepahts and who regularly tend the Great Trees all over the Island [re; Plan 18.5]. When you read Proposal 'A' you will see that they produce products from gathering the seed pods that the trees drop. Can you think of anything they might gather – say the hulls of the pods – that could be processed by your factory workers? That would increase the volume of nujac work and perhaps generate products at a believably exportable scale. What is your thinking on this?

Third:
the water situation

Yes, i agree that a lot of water will be needed, just as you said. The Factory is not so high that a fast flowing spring could not well up at its center point. There could be large tanks of water filled by the spring which supply the factory, and then there would be the external fountains in the Central Meeting area a bit below the Factory level. I think since this water does not make power, it need not be developed in a dramatic fashion and so it need not create the center piece which divides the circular Meeting Area. If you go to two meeting areas, then the run off from the spring could pass out between them, to be sure, and winde its way to the Bay. Or it could disperse in dendritic fan shape out through the trees and fruit bushes, like rivers running into the desert. But as we see it now, i don't think there will be a problem with the water. We can work out the small details later.

Fourth:
Means for shipping the Drink produced by the nujacs:

If there were a huge volume of the Drink, we could just run pipes out to the end of the wharf and let tankers take it aboard – like Gallo does its 'wine': Stainless steel tanks, all very sanitary, etc.; or like milk shippers do.

But you could bottle it and transport the bottles in pallets suitable for shipping. And then, as the milk thing suggests, you could use commercial sized cans to transport the Drink. It could then be bottled in the Mother City. I think either individual bottles or commercial sized cans would work OK.

Fifth:
The size of the catch:

It is the sustenance problem again; but i think you understand the problem better than do i. Perhaps you should go into more detail with me, so that i understand the problem better.

From what i know now, you might use the shallow water of the Bay as Third World fishermen have done forever: They build complex catchment pens to funnel water creatures and then trap them. Conceivably, something like this could produce a surplus crop of water creatures, suitable for export. Tell me more about what you are thinking here.
pappou
pappou

Postby Luetwo » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:58 pm

Sorry about this, but I keep coming up with questions and?or ideas that I thought I should ask them before I wirte anymore.
We need to decide the link in points. If we link into the factory, I can keep the key problem. If not, I need to drop the idea from this place. The plus for linking in elsewhere would be that you could see the factory while trying to decide what the parabolic mirrors are there for. [please excuse the grammar, but I don't think in proper English] You could aim the mirror at a point on the island (perhaps you get a flash of light when it's pointed at the appropriate spot). Then there would just be some switches that had to be pulled at the factory to get the power to the right spot. The lava mud could then be used solely for the boiling of the water to get it usable in the beverage. The office could still be used to keep records of where and how much is shipped out. The puzzle just needs to be changed to the getting into the office, instead of the exitting of the office.
What I would need from another island to produce the drink? Right now I am just using the fruit juice and water. If you also would like something sweet put in, that would need to be shipped in when they come to collect what is produced here, along with empty crates and barrels.
Another puzzle idea: If we have netting across the entrance of the tidal flats that will be used to collect more of the sea creatures. Perhaps we can require the explorer to somehow repair or optimize the netting to increase the catch. The netting idea works like this:The netting is down as the tide comes in and stays down for most of the time the tide is in. Before the tide goes back out, something needs to be done to stretch the netting across the entrance and thus catch the sea tubers. This would increase the collection of them as opposed to just catching what is left on the ground when the tide goes back out.
Luetwo

Postby Luetwo » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:37 am

Hate to tell you this, but I get most of my ideas at night when on the verge of sleep. This may explain why some of them don't make any sense at all.

While I still believe I need a link in to the office, this book could be in your city. Perhaps the explorer is asked to check on the island . No ship will try to dock there without knowing if it is safe or not or if there is a reason to dock. So, you link into the office from somewhere in your city. Then I have my door lock, and you must get the factory running and the netting across the bay that captures the sea life. When you are ready to leave, you must place a torch at the end of the pier. The ships need this light to correctly navigate to the edge of the pier. You can then take the boat back to your island.
However, before you link into the factory, you must solve the parabolic mirror problem that will supply power to the main city and my factory and any other sites you may have planned.

Does this make sense or do I need to go into further explanation? Perhaps you need to get a journal started for your complex. Then I might have a better idea of you thinking on how to incorporate my island to your plans.
Luetwo

Next

Return to Luetwo's Journal