Cockpit Country

Cockpit Country

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:49 am

The geological setting I plan to use for the Carboniferous forest is called "cockpit country;" this name comes from the practice of fighting roosters, not from airplane cockpits. (Actually, airplane cockpits are also named after the area where roosters would fight.) But I digress. Imagine that you're digging a deep, round hole--yippee, right? Well, then you dig a lot more of them and you're beginning to run out of space and the holes overlap. Pretty soon there's more hole than ground left, and all you have is little towers and hills sticking up out of the flat bottom of your combined holes. Now imagine this on landscape scale. That's cockpit country, found in Jamaica and various other wet, tropical areas. But why wet, why tropical?
Well, that is really quite simple (as long as you don't look any deeper than this explanation. ;) ). Make pretend that you have a nice biiiig slab of limestone. And then, growing over that limestone, you have a whole bunch of vegetation! And also let's say that it's pouring rain. Now, when the vegetation decays, it gives off CO2 gas. And when the water enters the soil, where the vegetation has been decomposing, it meets up with the CO2 gas (yes, the CO2 actually does hang out in the soil after it has formed). The water and the gas combine, and suddenly you have CARBONIC ACID! It erodes into your nice block of limestone and creates those holes (called dolines, if you want to be scientific about it :) ). It creates more and more of them, and one day you end up with terrain that looks like this:

Or this:

Here's an interesting fact about cockpit country: It's great for slave rebellions, revolutionaries, and resistance groups. As you might guess by looking at the images above, it would be very easy to get lost in such a landscape. Thus, military forces who don't know the area can stumble around cluelessly or be ambushed, whereas locals who know the area are familiar with the secret hiding places and the best routes to take. There can also be caves in various places which make good areas for concealing yourself, since lots of caves are created through the exact same chemical process as cockpit country is. In short, cockpit country is the ideal staging point for my secret--but I've said too much.
Jennifer_P

Re: Cockpit Country

Postby Jennifer_P » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:19 am

Cockpit country is the perfect terrain choice for maximizing exploration and minimizing geometry. This is due mostly to two factors:
1. It's easy to get lost in cockpit country, and the player is forced to be thorough in choosing where they go. They'll have to make sure that they've seen everything, and thus they will have to retrace ground they've already covered and explore various perspectives off the path of direct travel--thus increasing the time that they enjoy the scenery and still feel like they are doing something productive rather than just sightseeing over old ground.
2. The hills poking up out of the flat swampy ground are ideal natural barriers and create a subtle winding effect, so that the player ends up following a twisted, curvaceous, long path rather than a simple straight line path from Point A to Point B. This in turn lengthens the amount of gameplay possible and gives the illusion of a larger world.
3. The hills are great for hiding large amounts of vegetation vertices, hopefully preventing lag.

Here's the general terrain map I plan to follow.
Key:
Red Dot: Human sized link-in point
Water: Blue stuff, not traversable
Box: Area player can access
Light green: Flat swampy floor, traversable
Dark green: Hills, non traversable

Notes: The water sections will contain only Lepidodendrids, as Sphenophyllum and ferns couldn't tolerate standing water. Lepidodendrids, by contrast, would be at home in Channelwood. The swamp floor and hill sections will contain Lepidodendrids, Sphenophyllum, and ferns. The size of this terrain is flexible; I will probably scale it up or down based on how the lag factor is doing.
Jennifer_P

Postby bluewyvern » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:40 pm

I really enjoy these little lessons/essays/updates. :)

Sounds like your project is coming along very nicely! I look forward to seeing it develop more.
Concept, design, storytelling, editorial
KI# 05697413
bluewyvern

Postby Chacal » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:58 pm

I wish I had more students like this when I was a teacher.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Jennifer_P » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:13 pm

I'm glad you're enjoying them Bluewyvern; I hoped people would enjoy reading them. Science doesn't have to be boring! :)

I wish I had more students like this when I was a teacher.

Hehe, maybe, maybe not--I'm the student who always shows up 5-10 minutes late for class and works on her homework during your lecture. :roll:
Jennifer_P

Postby Chacal » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:53 pm

Then you have what it takes to become a great teacher...
Chacal

-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:30 am

Huh; the qualifications for being a great teacher a little different than what I was expecting... :)
Jennifer_P

Postby Chacal » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:02 pm

THE essential skill is the ability to outwardly always seem calm, prepared and in control while you actually aren't.
Chacal

-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:37 pm

!!! So they were faking it all along?!? :shock:
Jennifer_P

Postby Chacal » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:00 pm

Yup.
Sorry, but you had to know someday.