Textures Ahoy!

Textures Ahoy!

Postby Jennifer_P » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:50 pm

Well, here I am in sandy Hawai'i on vacation. And guess what I found--a leaf scar texture for the lepidodendrons at a botanical garden! :D I also got a whole bunch of leaf textures, mud textures, fern textures (yay!) and lots of other good pics. When I get back, I'll post them and put them in the public domain for us. But gotta go now, 'cause this internet costs a quarter a minute. ( /choke ) Be back in a few days... 8-)
Jennifer_P

Re: Textures Ahoy!

Postby Aloys » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:35 am

Aloha! Hawai.. hmm lucky you. :)
That's great about those textures; also very nice of you to release them publicly. :) I'm curious to see those, I'm sure you can get plenty of good stuff on those islands. :)
Aloys

Postby teedyo » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:52 pm

I still have to develop my pictures from Hawai'i I took like 5 years ago. :roll:
teedyo

Postby Jennifer_P » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:05 am

You really should get around to that! :P
Well, I picked out and named all the good textures on one of the two camera cards. It's going to take forever to load these onto Imageshack, so I'll save that for another day. I'm planning to eventually store the textures on the Ages of Ilathid wiki, since it's the only general Age creation resource wiki I know of--the Alcugs wiki just doesn't deal with stuff like texture collections I think. Now all I need to do is learn how to update the AoI wiki... :roll:
Here are a few of the textures I collected:
Cave ceiling texture: http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/1139/caveformationiiiil3.jpg
Volcanic rock with vesicles: http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/5559/greyvolcanicrockbigvesizg7.jpg
Wet fern leaf: http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/2458/fernsimplemediumwetwithzi9.jpg
Tan sand with possible crab holes: http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/2204/tansandwithpossiblecrabhy5.jpg
Jennifer_P

Postby pappou » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:38 am

Beautiful Jen; scrumptious colors.
but you cant get a tan hanging around in caves and fern forests. Didn't you do just a bit of surfing?
And by the way, its a good thing you got off that sandy beach. Don't you recognize Esher snake-holes when you see them?
pappou
pappou

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:05 am

Actually, it was one of the worst winter weather they'd had there for a long time--but it was great by my standards! 8-) And oddly enough, I didn't get to hang out on the beach much at all! But thank goodness I didn't, I had no idea that the beaches around the area were riddled with *shudder* Escher snakes! :shock:
And I'm thinking I won't be able to upload the textures to the Ilathid wiki for about a week, as some tweaking is occurring over there.
Jennifer_P

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:34 am

"Escher snakes"?

You mean, these? :D
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Jennifer_P » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:53 am

Hehehe, I was wondering if he ever did any snake tesselations while I wrote that! :D
Jennifer_P

Postby Jennifer_P » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:35 am

Well, finally figured out how to get the textures "published." Basically, I just uploaded them to my box.net account. /shrug
Ah well...Anyway, if you want to access them just send me a pm with the subject "Texture Access" and I'll give you the link. I'd post it here, but I think the box.net people don't want me to post the link in public places. :geek:

If you're interested in what sorts of textures (or it might be more apt to call them "photograph resources from which textures could be created") you'd be looking at, the current topics include:

algae-covered rocks
bamboo or cane stalks and stumps
encrustations from a cave ceiling or wall (probably calcite)
lots of fern varieties for alpha texturing
a gecko on a wall
sand of various colors, wetness, foam covering, and crab holes?
leaves
grey volcanic rock (w/or w/o vesicles)
tree trunks and branches
cones (green)
lichen on bark
moss
water
mud
rock

I release all of these texture photographs in my Hawai'i Textures folder into the public domain, which means that they are totally copyright free. Which means that you can use them in your projects, commercial or private, without having to credit me or pay me anything. :)
Jennifer_P

Postby Jennifer_P » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:13 pm

Just a heads up on this, I'm hoping to eventually add these textures as well as some other ones more recently gathered to the GoW Texture Server hosted by tachzusamm, which is much more accessible and user-friendly. :) If you want to see something neat, type in "jellyfish" for your search words over there.

http://www.texturu.org/texturu/welcome.php
Jennifer_P

Next

Return to Jennifer's Journal