Discussion Topic: Guild membership mutually exclusive

Discussion Topic: Guild membership mutually exclusive

Postby Trylon » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:22 am

Topic of this discussion:

"Guild membership should be mutually exclusive."

This topic addresses the following question:
Should guild membership be mutually exclusive, i.e. can someone be a member of multiple guilds at the same time?
Or, to be precise: Will we accept members (or perhaps even leaders) of other guilds as fellow writers?

Now, please note that the statement is that it should be mutually exclusive. If you think that guild membership should NOT be mutually exclusive you should post in red, if you think it should be, you should post in green.

By now you should know the drill on these topics:
In order to keep things clear, even in heated discussions, here are some Guidelines for Discussion topics:
Guidelines for Discussion Topics

A statement is put forth for discussion.
Defenders of the statement should post in Green
Opponents of the statement should post in Red
Neutral comments should be posted in Yellow/Orange
Off topic parts should be in normal text color.

Any opinions put forth here should not be held against people in another part of the forum.

If you forget to post in the correct color, a mod can set the correct color for your post. Please don't be offended by that.

The statement for this discussion is posted on top of this post.

Have fun!
Last edited by Trylon on Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Re: Discussion Topic: Guild membership mutually exclusive

Postby andylegate » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:32 am

As with just about all the Guilds (with the exception of the Greeters) there really isn't any conditions stated for becoming a member of a guild. The Greeters differ in that they put you through a interview process and training first, which is understandable considering what the Greeters do.

My feelings on this is that, yes, you can be a member of more than one Guild, if you so desire and strive to work in that guild.

For example, while I consider myself a Maintainer, I have been spending the last several weeks learning how to, and actually creating Ages. I do have concerns as to how things go with this guild, and I have been posting my ideas and comments here.

However, I am also one of the Guildmasters over with the Pre-GoMa. I firmly believe that, if you are in a position of "leadership" "Represenative", "Council Person", etc, that you should not be allowed in simular position with another Guild. Be a leader for one, follower for another.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby OnslaughtQ » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:20 pm

I have to agree with andylegate on this. (I think his colors are reversed though)

Guild membership, at this point, should not be mutually exclusive. Lower echelons of the guilds should never be mutually exclusive (assuming some sort of guild hierarchy forms). We want to welcome all to every guild and hope they can find a home in at least one.

With that said, leaders or representatives, or some other official figure in another guild should not hold a position of importance in another guild. Andylegate, I think said it best in his post , with the minor exception that we don't use the word leader in this guild. :)
OnslaughtQ

Postby Nadnerb » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:49 pm

I agree :shock: with both responses to this thread, though one seems to have gotten his colors mixed up. ;)

Guild membership should not be mutually exclusive. It might not be too easy to be a writer, greeter, cartographer, messenger, and maintainer at the same time, since I wouldn't imagine you would have any time left on your hands. :P However, we shouldn't, and can't anyway, (lack of power on volunteer web forums thing) stop anyone from making any contributions to any guild they like.

However, there is the slight provision that in the case of guilds with "high ranking positions", :P one should not occupy such a position in more than one guild, though you may certainly be a member of other guilds at the same time.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Chacal » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:03 pm

Of course not. What a strange idea.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Whilyam » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:19 pm

Whoever has the time, energy, and or creative talent should be allowed to join as many guilds as he or she sees fit. His or her work will be judged on its own and, if they have over-extended themselves, their work will decrease in quality. While I say this, though, I believe Cyan will enforce a one guild per person rule when the infrastructure is in place.
Whilyam

Postby Aloys » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:53 pm

I won't be original and agree with all the posters above.

No, guild membership should NOT be mutually exclusive

Yes, guild leadership should be mutually exclusive

(If the first posts of this thread are any indication it seems everyone will agree about this particular question. :) )
Aloys

Postby Paradox » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:19 pm

*looks for the yeahthat smilie because he's feeling lazy and doesn't want to type... *

Membership not mutually exclusive.

Leadership should be exclusive.
Paradox

Postby Lontahv » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:17 pm

I agree with paradox.
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby theclam » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:38 pm

Membership to the Guild of Writers should not be exclusive.

Council leadership positions should be exclusive.

Membership to specific projects can be exclusive, depending on the wills of the project leader or project members.
theclam

Next

Return to Public Discussion