Almlys situation

Almlys situation

Postby BAD » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:00 pm

Very sensitive situation we got here.

We need to get on the same page here.

Some one tell me what they are trying to do so I can try to fix this. Otherwise Almlys is going to be flipping out and hate us forever.

Lets get this done so we can move forward.
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Re: Almlys situation

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:07 pm

To sum up the situation, we're moving away from the Alcugs Project... There's been a lot of pressure for a long time to move away and centralize development and the age creation hub (that was back from the AB days :\). Also, Almlys envisions something a bit different from what we want to do with PyPRP. I really like the idea, but it introduces a level of complexity I think is not good for your every-day age creator. Detail: He wants a world creation framework to write content for both his 7d7 engine and Uru. Many developers aren't interested in writing code for 7d7, which was one of the decisive issues...

Trylon's rewrite offered a chance for us to keep PyPRP as it is, and we're taking that.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby BAD » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:12 pm

OK that's fine. We need to change that term "fork" to the word "branch".

We will NEED to get Almlys involved since doing anything less will make him isolate our projects from anything else he is doing.

Yes that is bad.

He has said we do not have to develop for 7D7. We can keep just developing Pyprp here, but we have to keep him in the loop.

We need to get him to understand that we will keep him in the loop, and aid his projects when we can. That means we don't have to help him with 7D7 but if we want we can help with the Uru parts of his projects.

Does that sound fair to you guys?
BAD

Postby Aloys » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:37 pm

We can't blame Almlys for his reaction. In many ways PyPRP is his baby, eventhough he hasn't contributed anything in over a year (and with the two refactoring there might just be nothing left from his own code)..
Just a question: was Almlys contacted about this whole forking idea before it happened?
Aloys

Postby BAD » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:41 pm

From what I have been told no.

Guys, I think we need to start discussing things more before making decisions like this. Plus we need to get feelers from the people directly involved.

I think this situation is a learning opportunity. Lets show some class and wisdom and get this settled right.
BAD

Postby Aloys » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:05 pm

Clearly that might not have been the most diplomatic way to do this. Too late to change now.
Surprisingly he doesn't seem too angry about all this right now, but he doesn't seem too happy either..

He says he will get involved again in PyPRP in the future, but it indeed appears the direction he wants to take is very different that the current Uru focused work. But would his work be valuable or just an hindrance? If indeed the way he wants to go is just too different, then there's no turning back.

Beside, anyone know just how much of his original code is left in the current incarnation of PyPRP? If there's quite a bit of it he has a right to be displeased... If there's nothing (or not much) left then the situation is different. Then, just out of diplomacy, couldn't we change the name to something different? No more Almlys code, different name, then it's a totally different thing and he has no reason to be unhappy (less reasons at least)..
Aloys

Postby BAD » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:17 pm

They way I see it this isn't about how much code of his is in PYPrp. THis is about a misunderstanding of what our intentions are, and what Almlys is doing with the new wrinkles in PYPrp and his 7D7 involvement.

This is about feelings and ways of thinking, not about who owns what. We hurt Almlys feelings by suggesting we cut him out of our PYPrp development. The only way (In my mind) tofix this is to offer him full participation in what we are doing, and to honor what his plans are for his side of it. We don't have to work on his ideas, but we should allow him access to our stuff, and offer help with the Uru side of his projects.

It's not much to give IMHO. I am pretty sure this will satisfy his mind about the GOW.
BAD

Postby Paradox » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:28 pm

I don't quite speak for everyone involved, but I know a bit more about what led to the situation.

Firstly, people have always wanted everything to be centralized as Adam mentioned. Since GoW was first opened, there have always been requests that the tutorials on Alcugs be moved over. The legal agreements at Alcugs made it more difficult than a simple copy & paste, and many of the tutorials were in need of rewrites anyways.
Trylon was rewriting the plugin to add a lot of new features and changing most, if not all, of the existing code in some areas. When trying to commit there were often errors with the SVN at Alcugs that made development difficult when versions could not be synchronized.
Without sounding harsh towards Almlys, it has to be said that he hasn't been involved with PyPRP in the recent past, and that his focus has been heavily directed towards 7D7 and schoolwork. At times, it was uncertain if the site was even being maintained.

The decision to fork was made around the time that rumours of 3DS Max tools started to surface. We thought it would be best to set up a wiki here, with tutorials for multiple tools and multiple programs, rather than rely on the existing, but fragmented, documentation spread across the Intenet. We also wanted to make sure that PyPRP was always available to Age Builders and future developers and that it could be updated to include support for other versions of the Plasma engine once we hear any news from Cyan.

To Almlys: As much as it may seem otherwise, it was not our intent to cause you more trouble. You haven't admittedly been clear with your intentions for PyPRP with regards to 7D7; and the OpenPRP project I have heard nothing about. As for Uru on Linux, MOUL works under both wine (0.9.52) and Cedega. I have run PotS successfully in the past, but encounter problems when I try to now.
Paradox

Postby BAD » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:36 pm

Thanks that helps out a lot.

So Branching out makes sense then. We can centralize our development here, and link it to Alcugs forums right? Since we basically have to rewrite everything, it will become the GOW's.

We just have to keep Almlys in the loop. As he is a member here now, that will be easier. I asked him to explain what he is up to with his projects, so we can discuss this again after he informs us about that.
BAD

Return to Representative Discussion