Hosting Websites

Re: Hosting Websites

Postby Trylon » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:17 am

No offense against JWPlatt or OpenUru.org, but I totally fail to see how posts from JWPlatt about OpenUru.org are at all relevant in an internal discussion about potential project hosting at guildofwriters.org
I also fail to see how hosting projects here would be of any influence to JWPlatt and/or OpenUru.org. And since JWPlatt is not a representative here, I don't understand how it would be his concern.

My point of view is: I have nothing against JWPlatt or OpenUru.org, but if JWPlatt wants to have influence in this discussion, he should either sign up as a representative here, or post something for himself in his own name in one of the public forums. With you just relaying his comments, it doesn't help either him, or his message, since it isn't taken too seriously like this (no offense meant).
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby BAD » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:29 am

Whilyam wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:
Kato wrote:What do you all think about the hosting of Writer project websites?

I can't reply to the forum where this appeared. I'm just sending this as a reminder: OpenURU.org already offers such things as subdomains for project websites, etc. I guess the catch might be that all content and activity must be entirely legal; no shades of grey.

Regards,

JW

Just saying, but this is the first post where openuru.org is mentioned in the entire thread, and it is indeed a blatant advertisement for his site. Any discussion of openuru.org is derived from JW attempting to inject an advertisement for his site into a discussion for adding to the GOW and thus is throwing the discussion off topic.

There are reasons why this area is for representatives only, and I believe this is a perfect example of why those reasons are there.

So lets not pretend this is something that it is not. :D
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Postby zib_redlektab » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:43 am

Who exactly can see this board? If JWPlatt isn't a representative, how did even become a part of this discussion? Just wondering :?
Lurker extraordinaire!
http://www.zibland.com
zib_redlektab

Postby Lontahv » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:35 am

It looks pretty clear to me no one was attacking JW's site before the initial quoting of JW by Whilyam.
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby BAD » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:04 am

zib_redlektab wrote:Who exactly can see this board? If JWPlatt isn't a representative, how did even become a part of this discussion? Just wondering :?

This area is viewable by everyone but only representatives can post here. It's intentions are for the reps to have an area where they are not influenced by outside opinions when discussing internal GOW business.

However it's not bullet proof as we see evidenced in this case.

Some people have decided that that is unfair. How that is unfair, i have yet to figure out or have seen any convincing argument of. ;)
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Postby Chacal » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:11 am

This has nothing to do with JW.
Unless I suddenly can't read English anymore, Whilyam was only pointing out the availability of openuru.org for hosting project web sites, which is a valid point in the discussion.
It doesn't rate the kind of hostile response that followed.

If anyone asks why there is so little interest for GoW affairs among the members, look no further.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Whilyam » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:40 am

Chacal said it as good as I could. I would think that would be right along the lines of this discussion. What good does it serve to have duplicate features besides splitting the development further? Unless we can do something better.

Sorry I didn't get the initial reason for JW's posts. I thought Adam meant the conversation he was having in the last few posts which was very much about attacking JW's site.
Whilyam

Postby Trylon » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:14 pm

Just as a tip, Whilyam:
Next time you post a quote from someone, don't just post the quote, but also post some text of your own as to why you posted it. (That kinda avoids unnecessary speculation)

@Chacal:
I can read English too ;) I think the main problem was confusion as to why it was posted (with it just being a relaying post). Ofcourse, as always it turned out to be the simplest explanation :D
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:19 pm

Whilyam wrote:I thought Adam meant the conversation he was having in the last few posts which was very much about attacking JW's site.

I was just requesting that you let JW post for himself rather than copying a PM that he sent to everyone ;). I think he can speak for himself (and hit the little button that signs him up to be a representative). I probably did a poor job of expressing that with my first post.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Whilyam » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:39 pm

If he wants to or not, that's his choice. But if he has something substantial to add to the discussion and he's not interested enough to sign up, I will post it. The same goes for anyone. Signing up to be a representative comes with duties people may not want to get into just to talk about this. Idealy, proposals would be mirrored into a free-for-all forum where people could discuss it. The decision could be made here.
Whilyam

PreviousNext

Return to Representative Discussion