Hosting Websites

Re: Hosting Websites

Postby Chacal » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:44 pm

It is not clear for me what, apart from file storage, a website would offer to a project that the present forum wouldn't.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby zib_redlektab » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:04 pm

I think that the benefits are mostly organizational. An official project website is usually much more organized & easier to understand than forums based around the project.

For example, pretend you just heard about MOUL for the first time from a friend, and go to the website. If you reach the official project site, you can very easily see screenshots, read about the project's purpose and goals, get some information on the people working on it, its past and future, etc. If you instead only find the forums, you need to hunt around a lot more to find the information you'd be looking for as a complete beginner.

Also, a real webpage looks much more professional and impressive than a forum, even if the site is just a basic wordpress blog. It's just very difficult to make forums look good.
Lurker extraordinaire!
http://www.zibland.com
zib_redlektab

Postby Lontahv » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:35 pm

I think we should set up one of these http://mu.wordpress.org. :D
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby zib_redlektab » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:59 pm

That could be very useful indeed...and much easier to manage than a single install - could get tricky dealing with permissions for each user, though...
Lurker extraordinaire!
http://www.zibland.com
zib_redlektab

Postby Whilyam » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:56 am

JWPlatt wrote:Just to add to my previous note, I consider using the OpenURU.org bug tracker appropriate because it satisfies the conditions of Chogon's clarifications. For project websites on OpenURU.org subdomains: if it's okay on the MOUL forums, it's okay on OpenURU.org.
Whilyam

Postby GPNMilano » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:14 am

Whilyam wrote:
JWPlatt wrote:Just to add to my previous note, I consider using the OpenURU.org bug tracker appropriate because it satisfies the conditions of Chogon's clarifications. For project websites on OpenURU.org subdomains: if it's okay on the MOUL forums, it's okay on OpenURU.org.

What JW doesn't seem to be getting, is that what we're talking about in terms of "projects" are age writing projects, not projects related to the open sourcing of Uru. Unless JW is intending to move OpenUru into age creation as well. Which he's more than welcome to do if he and others so chooses. But I'd suggest to him if that was the case to start his own fork of GoW-PyPRP, or wait for the 3DSMax version and build his own.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:25 pm

I still do not understand the point of the OpenURU site other than to fragment the development community even more than it already is. To be insanely negative, the Guild of Maintainers and Guild of Writers do a great job of dividing those who are able to somehow create content for the game. I see no point in further dividing those people.

Also, if JW is going to take a Cyan-Style approch to the OpenURU website, then it'll be pretty useless because Cyan prevents discussion of hacking tools (like PyPRP, ULM, Drizzle, UAM, Offline KI, etc) and discussions on specifics of how to get your content in the game... See where I'm going?

That being said, now that we have migrated the forum to a new server, I can see what we can do regarding project hosting. I actually do like the idea of using a wordpress MU install, if only to remove the development journals, which I have despised since their inception back on the Age Builder forum (that was back when I was a peon and had no say in the matter :P), from the forum and onto their own space. Maybe we can somehow link phpBB3 and wordpress MU's login system(s).

That reminds me... I need to move the wiki over to the new server as it's still using the old membership database.

zib_redlektab wrote:I think the sites should be offered for free, and then add extra perks for those who pay (a premium service). Perhaps a basic site would be just a wordpress blog, and then premium would allow ftp access and a gallery? Something like that. I think people would be a lot more likely to join up if they can get a free taste beforehand.

You know... I actually like this idea a bit. Hmmm...
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Whilyam » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:32 pm

JWPlatt wrote:OpenURU.org is not limiting its projects in that way. OpenURU.org will move according to the needs and projects of the community, not to my idea of what those projects should be. In other words, projects will move OpenURU.org, not the other way around. I would like variety/diversity for cross-pollination. If age creators find OpenURU.org attractive, they'll make that home base for a project. Same with GoW. OpenURU.org is hosting one Uru age expansion pack project right now. Finally, I see no need to develop tools which already exist just because they "weren't invented here." If new tools are created, it'll be for the independent need of a project, but not because I have any influence over it.

I expect all the "gray area" tools to open up once open source Uru is released.

Thanks,
JW
Whilyam

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:38 pm

If JWPlatt wishes to take part in this conversation, then he should become a representative. Please do not repost his blatant advertisements for OpenUru.org
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Whilyam » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:48 am

Tsar Hoikas wrote:If JWPlatt wishes to take part in this conversation, then he should become a representative. Please do not repost his blatant advertisements for OpenUru.org

I will not stop quoting/re-posting for people who are not/can not take part in this. There is no advertisement here. JWPlatt's site is being wrongly portrayed and he should have the opportunity to defend it. He can become a representative if he wants, but that is not a requirement for having his side being heard. Reps were put in place to get around the fact that pretty much no one here wants to vote, not to keep people from speaking. So enough.
Whilyam

PreviousNext

Return to Representative Discussion