Discussion: Adopt TextURU as GoW Age Creation Element Server

Discussion: Adopt TextURU as GoW Age Creation Element Server

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Tue May 05, 2009 7:26 pm

An ongoing discussion in the "What about a texture exchange server?" thread brought up a suggestion to adopt tachzusamm's web site (http://www.texturu.org) as the GoW age creation element server. So, I'd like to discuss the wording of such a proposal for 4 days before putting it to the vote.

Here's my proposed wording - as people make suggestions, I'll modify the post. Once 4 days from this post's date have elapsed, I'll submit this as a poll.
---

Proposal: that the Guild of Writers formally recognize http://www.texturu.org as its age creation element server, for use by Age Writers as a repository of various textures, sounds, models and other elements for age creation. Specifically:

• The website http://www.texturu.org is allowed to declare itself as the Guild of Writers age creation element server and may use the GoW symbol and artwork. Pending news announcements may also refer to http://www.texturu.org as the Guild of Writers age creation element server.
  • The administrators of the Guild of Writers web site will add a link to the age creation element server at the top of the Welcome page (http://www.guildofwriters.com).
  • The members of the Guild of Writers pledge to contribute age creation elements to the server and to utilize these elements in ages that they create.

NOTE 1: The TextURU server is funded and administered by a distinct owner group. Current members of this group as of 6 May 2009 are: tachzusamm and Chacal.

NOTE 2: The owner group will take all precautions for insuring a reasonable level of business continuity for the age creation element server. This may include backing up the age creation elements stored on the server, setting up an off-site backup server, setting up a system for transferring ownership and administrator duties to Guild councilors in the case of a catastrophic event or in the case of disengagement from the owners, etc.

---
What do you think?

[EDIT 1] Added Chacal's notes.
[EDIT 2] Removed "official" wording; replaced "asset" with "element"; added third bullet clarifying purpose of proposal.
[EDIT 3] Used teedyo's wording for target audience.
Last edited by Robert The Rebuilder on Sat May 09, 2009 4:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Re: Discussion: Adopt TextURU as GoW's Official Asset Server

Postby Chacal » Tue May 05, 2009 9:34 pm

Approve.

Add this:
NOTE 1: The TextURU server is funded and administered by a distinct owner group. Current members of this group as of 2009-05-06 are: tachzusamm and Chacal.

NOTE 2: The owner group will take all precautions for insuring a reasonable level of business continuity for the asset server. This may include backing up the assets stored on the server, setting up an off-site backup server, setting up a system for transferring ownership and administrator duties to Guild councillors in the case of a catastrophic event or in the case of disengagement from the owners, etc.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Whilyam » Wed May 06, 2009 4:18 am

Seems like a great idea to me. Why have yet another site to fill a need already filled?
Whilyam

Postby teedyo » Wed May 06, 2009 12:25 pm

I'm all for action! I also think that a link should be placed at the top of the forum pages as well.
teedyo

Postby Nadnerb » Wed May 06, 2009 1:08 pm

I concur. This needs a link.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed May 06, 2009 1:53 pm

I dislike the idea of it being the "official" guild asset server... But I was planning on adding a link to it, once I read tzach's recent post(s). I'm swamped right now though... I can be reached after graduation.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Thu May 07, 2009 4:48 am

Adam: would you prefer if I strike the words "official/officially" from the proposal (i.e. it simply will be referred to as "the Guild of Writers asset server")?

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby tachzusamm » Thu May 07, 2009 11:58 am

Okay, here's my response.
It took me a while to think it over, and to find out why I was a bit astonished when I read the proposed wording.

First, I assume it was my own fault, because I wrote this: "[..] I still believe this should be a GoW server." (source)
Well, I have mentioned it before in that thread, and I guess I should repeat it: I would feel better if this would be a "not-only GoW" server. Sure, mainly used by the GoW because they get the most benefits from it, but honestly, we don't need as many age writers on that server as we can get (please understand me correctly, everybody is welcome), but in fact we need more *photographers* to fill the textures area with content. There is not even a photographers area in the GoW forum. But there is an artists area, and a musicians area, people we do need as well to upload content.

I hope you get my point: If we call this a GoW server, others might think "well, it's a server for the age writers; I have no ambitions in writing an age, so I don't join".
Especially if you write "the Guild of Writers officially recognize http://www.texturu.org as its asset server, for use by the Guild as ..".
Sure, making photos of objects to get textures *IS* part of the age writing process, as well as recording sounds or writing music. But does everybody who is not aware of how an age is written know this? I've met many players who just believe such a game is completely "programmed" in software, entirely by using a computer.
This project was started in the first place to give *additional* people the chance to help in age writing, without the need of having programming or blender skills.

In my opinion, "Myst Online repository server / MO:RE repository server" would describe it better.

Regarding "assets": Maybe I again don't understand the fine differences in english language, but this word sounds a bit to me like this server would store GoW's gold, or shares (stock?). And I again get the feeling of "only GoW members please".

The current proposal may work to be used for the GoW website and forums internally, but then we are stuck again and without help from others outside this writers group.

Regarding "official": I agree with Adam. Maybe "center", "place to go" or "primary" would be better. Because, well, when it was official, there would be no need to "allow" us something.
tachzusamm

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Thu May 07, 2009 1:16 pm

tachzusamm: I didn't mean to cause astonishment - hopefully I can clarify the intent of the proposal.

The word "asset" refers to the items listed under "elements": textures, models, sounds, music (and potentially code and ages). In terms of age writing, asset is akin to "ingredients" - if we wanted to use a baking analogy. But I did not intend to convey a sense of ownership - texturu is owned and cared for by you (and Chacal).

Part of the purpose of this proposal is to legitimize the use of the term "Guild of Writers" on your site. [For example, right now on the Welcome page, it says "Welcome to the GoW TextURU Server."] But the primary purpose is to have the GoW members feel more comfortable about using and populating your site - which is what you had requested in the other thread. We really want GoW members to make use of these assets in their new ages, right? That's why the proposal says, "for use by the Guild."

As you say, the project was started to give additional people the chance to help in age writing. Since the Guild of Writers' mission is also to help people in age writing, it seems natural to make this association - hence, the proposal. This in no means prevents non-Guild members from contributing. In fact, once this proposal goes through, I plan on submitting (via the Guild of Messengers) a call to the community to help populate the server with assets - another thing we discussed in the other thread.

Did this explanation help?

[EDIT] So, to make it clearer, how about I replace "asset" with "element". For example, the first line will become "the Guild of Writers recognize texturu.org as its age creation element server, for use by the Guild as a repository of various texture, sound, model and other elements of age creation." I can also add a third sub-bullet to clarify the main purpose:
  • The members of the Guild of Writers pledge to contribute age creation elements to the server and to utilize these elements in ages they create.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Robert The Rebuilder

Postby tachzusamm » Thu May 07, 2009 5:23 pm

Yes, Robert, your explanation helps a lot. Thank you for this clarification.

Sorry if I sound sometimes nitpicking - it's just that I like to understand what I agree to.
Unfortunatelly, in english language (and in german language as well) there are in some cases many similar words, having slightly different meanings, depending on the context, and depending on the sentence structure or word order. For example, my dictionary lists about 20 (twenty) possible translations of the word "asset", where 16 of them translate to terms used in a financial environment.
My apologies for the efforts I caused.

Finally, I'm now fine with this proposal.

And yes, please let's replace "asset" with "element", and add the third sub-bullet as you suggested; this will help to clarify it.

Maybe we could add a forth bullet like this:
  • Everybody willing to help the GoW in age creation is invited to contribute elements to the repository without the need to register as a GoW member first.
Not needed when you announce it here though, but when published via the GoMe, I think this would be good to clarify.
(And please feel free to clean up any mistakes in syntax in my sentence)

What do you think?
tachzusamm

Next

Return to Representative Discussion