Discussion: Creation of a "Global" GoW python system

Re: Discussion: Creation of a "Global" GoW python system

Postby Chacal » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:52 pm

Think of "chronicles" as stored variables.
For example, in your vault there is a variable named "ZandiWelcome" that keeps track of whether you have been welcomed by Zandi or not. That is why Zandi won't welcome you again if you go back to see him.

You can browse your vault by using VaultShop by Zrax.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby diafero » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:01 am

And no, this has nothing at all to do with AlcScript (which is not actually a scripting language but a descriptive language, so I always wondered why it was called a script ;-) ). We talk about Python scripts here, used to implement the actual puzzle logic.

I got the first version of the file, D'Lanor, and it will be part of the next Ofline KI. There's no release scheduled yet. Should I try to make one within the next, say, 3 weeks to get the file out?
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby D'Lanor » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:19 am

If you want. I don't think we are in a hurry. :)
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Jamey » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:32 pm

Chacal wrote:Think of "chronicles" as stored variables.
For example, in your vault there is a variable named "ZandiWelcome" that keeps track of whether you have been welcomed by Zandi or not. That is why Zandi won't welcome you again if you go back to see him.

You can browse your vault by using VaultShop by Zrax.

Oh! So these "Chronicles" work like the variables in the SDL files? Is there a significant difference between Chronicles and SDL files? What is the difference between the two, if any?
KI#46415
Jamey

Postby Chacal » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:57 pm

IIRC, SDL "variables" are actually descriptors for state variables for the Age itself. They are used for communicating to the Uru client which variables will hold the state of things such as open/closed doors, existence of barriers, etc.

SDL files are read by the Plasma engine and the variables they describe, and their default values, are written into the vault if they are newer than the ones already there (which is why it is important to increment the version number when modifying SDL files).

For instance, in the ahnySphere01.sdl file, you find those 3 variables:

VAR BOOL ahnyCurrent[1] DEFAULT=1 DISPLAYOPTION=red
VAR BYTE ahnyQuabs[1] DEFAULT=20 DISPLAYOPTION=red
VAR BOOL ahnyHutDoor[1] DEFAULT=0 DISPLAYOPTION=red

These are state descriptors, you see, because they describe state variables that will be used. SDL files themselves are not used for variables during the game (ie the game does not change the files). SDL means State Descriptor Language, I think.

Once this has been read into the vault, you will find this in [player]'s vault / [player] / Ages I own / Sphere1 / AhnySphere01:
ahnyCurrent true
ahnyQuabs 20
ahnyHutDoor False

Those values will change when you play the game.

Disclaimer: people with more knowledge will correct this if I'm wrong. Also I'm not venturing into on-line concepts, I'll leave that to guys like D'Lanor, diafero and Dustin.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Trylon » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:58 pm

diafero wrote:AlcScript (which is not actually a scripting language but a descriptive language, so I always wondered why it was called a script ;-) ).

Oh, that's quite simple: I couldn't think of a better name that could be catchy, descriptive and fairly pronouncable, so it ended up being called alcscript, even though that was a bit off.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Nadnerb » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:42 am

Okay, I think Chacal may have said this, but it took way too long, so I didn't read it.

SDL are variables local to age instances.
Chronicles are variables local to avatars.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby diafero » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:14 am

Yeah, Nad summed it up quite well - Chacal also explained that the underlying technical system is *completely* different (SDL management is something very deep within the engine, and it's horrible; while chronicles work on top of the whole vault thingy), but I doubt the casual age writer will care.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:20 pm

I remember a couple years ago when D'Lanor first proposed a standard chronicle system on the MOUL boards. It was a good idea back then, and still is.

Will the Offline KI be the only way to have these global python files, or will they be available in a separate download?
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby diafero » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:48 am

It would be fairly easy to make a pak file containing only this script... however we have to make sure we don't get version confusion if people have both that manual file and the Offline KI (where it will reside in offlineki.pak) installed.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Representative Discussion