A proposal for a change in the GoW structure

Re: A proposal for a change in the GoW structure

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:10 pm

Sorry about the length of time it took for this reply to be posted, but I couldn't give this much thought with evil Biology tests looming like a black shadow. ;)

At the time of the writing of the structure, we had two or three main issues that we were trying to tackle. The one most relevant here is how "unfriendly" the GoW is to artists, storytellers, musicians, etc. The old five councilor system was highly biased toward the more technical side of things (blender, python, and other coding). We decided that the best way to change this image was to make the guild leadership more balanced, thus came the idea of Art - Tech - PR. (Random background: the original "new structure" proposal threw out councilor titles and just had five generic councilors who could fill any role at any time. This was quickly discarded as being detrimental to the efforts to make the guild more art friendly.) Quite honestly, the effort has not succeeded (take a look at the artists forum to see what I mean). I blame this mostly on myself--I was supposed to add more features to the site, which never happened. Despite that, I don't want to completely throw out the only (official) thing we have related to art and sound. I think that would overbalance the council too much. In this case, it would be toward internal bureaucracy rather than tech stuff as before. If the Inter-Guild councilor requires assistance with his job, there are always Guild Directors to "pick up the slack."

Hope this made sense... My brain is kind of mushy right now. ;)
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Chacal » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:38 pm

That's an excellent point. There was no reason for me to take the Councilor for artistic direction out, other than to keep the number of Councilors at three, and it didn't seem to be working. I'm all for keeping it. I'll write a new version of my proposal tonight.

I'll also keep in mind what was posted in Branan's thread about "our structure - or lack thereof". Maybe our current structure document is too heavy and complex for such a small community. As always, such a document isn't really needed until the shi@t hits the fan... and then people start splitting hairs.

EDIT: OK, maybe not tonight. Just finished editing current version of ISO standard, part 1. Now beginning part 2 :(
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Carl Palmner » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:44 pm

Ok, I'm kind of the "new guy" at the moment (only just recently became a Representative), but after carefully looking over your proposed edit and Hoikas' proposed edit, and all that has been said about both, I have to agree with Hoikas here. I think the biggest threat to the Guild of Writers has always been its own tendency to focus more on technical things than artistic things, and getting rid of the artistic councilor is for that reason a bad idea.

Personally, I like our current document just fine. I think it's great the way it is. Nearly everyone seems to favor some kind of change, though--the question being whether it should be this change or Hoikas' change. As I said I'm new here, at least to the administrative aspect of the GoW, so I suppose if everyone else things a change is needed, then a change is probably needed. But I prefer Hoikas' change, which seems like a more minor change to me and which I cannot see anything I disagree with.

I guess what I'm saying is that if we were asked to vote on this proposal right now, my vote would have to be "no".

It seems to me that the main issue behind the desire for change is a desire for better PR with the rest of the community and with Cyan. THAT, I can definitely get behind. But not at the expense of the more artistic concerns of the Guild.
Carl Palmner

Postby Chacal » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:37 am

Agreed. Proposal withdrawn.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Previous

Return to Representative Discussion