an Idea I came up with Tuesday

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

an Idea I came up with Tuesday

Postby Goofy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:05 am

I was messing around in URU ABM POTs and decided to mess with Ahnonay, Unfortunately I forgot what I was suppose to do and got into a loop. After a bit of cursing the age, I had a thought.

Hmmm what if we got stuck in an age that we linked to and couldnt even relto out and the only way we could get out is to solve a puzzle. kinda like the bahro caves. the only way out there is to jump down a hole.

The puzzle would be in 2 parts(or more, depends on how devious you want to be) the first part would be to get the relto book working again. Which in a since would alow you to relto out, but if you did and then linked back into the age you would have to solve the 1st puzzle again to be able to relto out again. The only way you could link into the age without having to solve the first part again is to atleast start the second part of the puzzle. There would be a cloth (or something else) where you first linkin and one at the end. Once you've completed the first part a door would open and you would have the start of the second part in another room.

Well thats it. Its not much, but it would be kinda cyanish. They do have a tendency to make puzzle that hurt the brain ;)
We keep moving forward,
openning up new doors and doing new things,
Because we're curious... and curiosity keeps
leading us down new paths

Walt Disney

Keep moving forward
Goofy

Re: an Idea I came up with Tuesday

Postby belford » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:49 am

The Relto book is the one game feature that player Ages *shouldn't* be able to disable. It means that any game bug -- and there will always be game bugs -- will screw over the player.

(Besides, you can't prevent alt-F4, which is equivalent to the Relto book.)

But it should be quite easy to create a puzzle that resets itself when the player leaves the Age.

A pair of people working together would be able to work around it, though.
belford

Postby Trylon » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:40 pm

Yeah, Relto book disabling is a definite Don't, since the annoyance of not being able to Relto out overrules the desire to solve the puzzle with most people.

It should only be used in small areas for storyline purposes, like in the bahro caves, which are really small, and the available exit is obvious. Here the player is forced to take the only (other) exit (jump down), so it has a clear and short-term purpose.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby teedyo » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:21 pm

Interesting. An age I've outlined actually implements disabling Relto. Initially I had it totally disabled but then, I read some more entries in the MO:UL forums and was reminded of just how pissy frustrated explorers can get. :D I then decided to include limited areas of activation with a visual notification(flashing book) when moving into or out of these areas.
teedyo

Postby Nadnerb » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:34 pm

This is an interesting ground to tread on IC, too. I don't think we have any knowledge of methods to suppress linking, and we don't know how and why the Bahro can do it, and therefore, whether it is exclusive territory, as far as Cyan is concerned..

Buuut, I will say that people will hate not being able to link out, and the truly frustrated will still be able to alt-f4, possibly never to return.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Goofy » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:44 pm

FINE!!!!!! :cry: :roll: :lol: Lets make an age that when you link in, you link into a giant bowl of chocolate pudding ;)
We keep moving forward,
openning up new doors and doing new things,
Because we're curious... and curiosity keeps
leading us down new paths

Walt Disney

Keep moving forward
Goofy

Return to Art and Story