Issue with toggling a sound emitter

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Issue with toggling a sound emitter

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:23 pm

This is a nuts-and-bolts sort of discussion about using sound in our ages, so I don't know whether this post should be in the Musician forums or the PyPRP forums. Anyway, here goes...

I have a sound emitter and a soundregion associated with the sound emitter. [Note: the sound region toggles on/off the sound emitter when you enter/exit the region.] I link in to the age outside the sound region, and the correct thing happens: no sound is playing yet. When I enter the region, it plays the sound - correct.

But if I link out to Relto while in the region, then link back to the age - outside the sound region - the sound is still playing. Is there anyway to configure the soundregion or soundemitter so that it can recognize when you link out of the age, that should count as toggling off the sound emitter?

[A workaround is to delete the age's .sav file, but I cannot ask everyone to do that every time they get their sound emitters out of sync.]
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Re: Issue with toggling a sound emitter

Postby Paradox » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:44 pm

For background music, it's also a good idea to set the local flag. This might prevent the problem that you are seeing.

"local" will make the sound only heard by the local avatar. This should always be used for ambiance and background effects. Sounds without the local flag will be heard by all Age players and are likely stored in the .sav for future usage.

Code: Select all
        flags: local|loop
Paradox

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:18 pm

As a temporary hack, you could use a python script and register it for a link out behavior notify and turn the sound off that way...
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Nadnerb » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:24 pm

This should actually be a setting on the sound emitter... It should be possible to stop uru from saving emitter states, however, we haven't found that way yet. :P Though local could be it.. testing needed. :P
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:28 pm

The local flag did the trick - when I link out, then back in (outside the region), the music no longer plays.

Thanks, Paradox! :D
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Return to Art and Story