My first age- Tsahvkotsah -Stage 2-Modeling

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

My first age- Tsahvkotsah -Stage 2-Modeling

Postby dah'kree » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:52 pm

Ok, I'm deciding to go off with a bang. Start big, end strong. Piece by piece, never give up, never surrender. Well, you get the idea. I want someone who hasn't heard anything about this age think at least a little.

The age is a flying island, with clouds and several smaller islands surrounding it. The island has man-made structures that were made by an unknown people, that have left. You link in on a rocky hill near the west edge of the island, in a small circular structure containing a mosaic tiled floor containing the age's symbol (yet to make), and a few stone pillars (5?) linked together by stone ring. (No ceiling or walls) On the eastern side of this structure, there is an uneven wooden stair path leading down to the main area. At the base of the hill, the path turns into pebbles, cutting through gardens with lush green grass on either side, occasionally branching off to a little area where its possible to just relax. If you follow the path straight (about 20 yards?), you come upon a average sized house made up of a light colored stone. The door has a button on it, containing the age's symbol, but if you press it now, it does nothing. If you continue even farther down the path, you come to the eastern end of the island, where the path ends right at the edge. When you look beyond the edge, you see some smaller islands, and one with a pedestal with a book on it (not sure where Ill have the book go to yet, but in the story I'm going to write I placed it there). When you backtrack to the hill, right before the steps up, you can see that the pebble road goes off to the right, and if you follow that around the hill, you come to a small hole in the ground with a ladder. Go down, and you come to a slightly large, dimly lit room made of dark colored stone. Inside this room, there are 2 generators with a pole sticking through the center of them, and at the center of that pole, are 2 rocks (magnetic loadstones) attached. Beyond the rocks are bigger loadstones that the rocks are attracted to, and, when fixed the magnetic forces will drive the generators. By the edge of the pole near one of the generators, is a gear, and below that is another gear extruding from the ground, but not attached to the first gear. Next to that same generator is a lever. About 5 feet south of the lever is a turn-crank (Think of the windmill in the cleft if I'm not being clear).

Semi-imagery of this room for those who don't understand (And those who understand this, please help me make it clear!):
Code: Select all
*                              |Loadstone|                                *
*|  Generator       |------------------------------| Generator        |   *
*                             |Loadstone|              Lever              *
*Ladder                                                       Turncrank   *

The loadstones on the pole are pointed toward the larger stones, magnetic force holding them still. When you pull the lever, the lower gear rises to connect with the one on the generator. You then turn the turncrank, witch rotates the lower gear that is now connected to the generator gear, thus turning the pole so the loadstones are now pointed up and down, so when you release the gears with the lever, the loadstones will be attracted to larger stones in a way that causes them to turn the generators, witch now hum happily. Lights flicker on over head. Head back to the house, and you can see that the button on the door now glows a soft blue. Press the button to open the house.

[Insides of house is yet to be written]
Last edited by dah'kree on Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.Tahgehmah b'zoo ah rehlehm
.Tahgehmah b'zoo ah rehkor
.Tahgehmah b'zoo ah rehmahgah b'sel d'sehv
ImageImage
dah'kree

Re: My first age- Tsahvkotsah -Literary Concept Design

Postby dah'kree » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:23 am

Beginning of Production: Day 1

Created general map
Created separate island shells, began shaping main island

(Red dot size of avatar) 9222 verticies

Began construction on link in spot

New Idea of the unknown people forming in mind, is creating an link using only a button press and skipping book pop up possible? (These people had their own style of linking, not using books, but a calibration of magnetic stones, creating a slightly large window (much like the books pane) into the other dimension)

*edit* Dropping idea, dont want to create a new ENTIRE storyline. Thats where this was headed, with over 20 other age ideas popping into my head.
ImageImage
dah'kree

Postby Jojon » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:56 pm

While I don't want to be a detractor, unless I misunderstand you completely, that assembly of magnetic rocks would turn back those 90 degrees you just cranked them and then stick there again. There are many videos of purportedly self-propelled permanent magnet motors circulating, but all these perpetuum mobile class designs "works" on the principle of not mentioning to the viewer the fact that you have to input more energy to get past the point of maximum attraction, than you could possibly get out of the things.
Jojon

Postby dah'kree » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:10 pm

Ok...maybe I haven't been too clear on the generator design.

The too large rocks have a (+) magnetic charge, while the smaller ones on the pole are polar. When you link in to the age, the generator is stuck do to years of no one taking care of it, it slowed so that when it hit the point of maximum attraction, (about 15-30 degree angle) it stopped. The generator is designed so that when you turn it backwards, it clears it up so it can turn freely (Cracking sound will be played), thus allowing it to gain enough momentum to keep it turning.
ImageImage
dah'kree

Postby Jojon » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:55 pm

dah'kree wrote:Ok...maybe I haven't been too clear on the generator design.

The too large rocks have a (+) magnetic charge, while the smaller ones on the pole are polar. When you link in to the age, the generator is stuck do to years of no one taking care of it, it slowed so that when it hit the point of maximum attraction, (about 15-30 degree angle) it stopped. The generator is designed so that when you turn it backwards, it clears it up so it can turn freely (Cracking sound will be played), thus allowing it to gain enough momentum to keep it turning.

Ahm, ehm... What powers the generator pair? I was under the impression that the lodestone assembly would somehow "magically" do it.
If so; momentum won't keep it turning - you can spin a swingwheel, that has enough mass, fast enough to get it to do a few turns, but you have to excert a considerable amount more force (say, by using the generators as motors) to get that spin, than you'd get out of the generators.

This is a slight problem for me - where do we draw the line between actual science and the fantasy variety? I have no problem whatsoever with crypto-science in a story and puzzle (love it actually), but it must be clear to the player that such is in play, or (s)he will be stumped for the wrong reasons. Myst canon is most certainly not alack of real-world-defying concepts, so wierd stuff has its place in the virtual universe we are working within -- it's just a bit difficult to balance one's Atrus and Katran. :7
Jojon

Postby dah'kree » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:25 pm

Ok... maybe this will help:
Code: Select all
*(+)           <--(-)*(+)<--           (+)*
*(+)           <--(-)*(+)<--           (+)*
*(+)                 *                 (+)*
*(+)                 |                 (+)*
*(+)                 *                 (+)*
*(+)           -->(+)*(-)-->           (+)*
*(+)           -->(+)*(-)-->           (+)*
Big stone    Small pole stones    Big stone

The (+) side on the small stones is repelled by the by the (+) on the big loadstones, while attracting the (-) side. With the pole now cleared (due to inverse turning) of the gunk build-up that caused it to slow to the point where the stone magnetics stop at the degree where they are most happy, it will have just the right amount of force to keep going that extra few degrees required to make the repelling force of the (+) side of the stone greater than the (-) attraction, causing it to shove off turning again, and build up speed (to a certain point of course) and returning the generator to its full potential.

To your second statement: Lack of options. If the only things on the island that seem to do anything are the crank (that turns a gear) and a lever (that raises said gear to another) down in a dark room, then players are going to mess with them until something happens. Also, there is going to be a journal on the floor of that room that explains the generator. I'm going to have bigger puzzles inside the house that will have clues in journals that will be hidden elsewhere.

Also, to me, there is no line between science and fantasy. :P
ImageImage
dah'kree

Postby dah'kree » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:44 pm

Thanks to Jojon, I began to think a bit more about my generator, and came to realize something.

Something that turns non-stop clogs up randomly? And how would players understand what happened when it became unstuck? And why build a generator that has the possibility of getting stuck by force of magnetism due to not enough magnetized points? (Smart design would be 3 small loadstones instead of 2)

Redid generator design, their are now 3 small loadstones on a pole, and 2 poles, connected by gears to the generator pair, 3 giant stones, one of witch is in the middle. Part of the ceiling fell out, and a chunk got stuck in one of the gears (Visible chunk), turning the crank lets the debree loose and fall to the floor.

Ahem. Other news:

Day of production: 2
Finished shaping of the ground

Day of production: 3

Added Panic Link region, ladder, and a swim Region.
Added temporary textures.
Did first test in uru, ground normals messed up, only shows when under the ground instead of above. Panic link and ladder work, however ladder messes up on the way down (moving up is fine), and rungs are too big for avatar hands, to be fixed. Swim region did not work, going to have to look into that.

*Ahem* One question, Is it possible to add an age to MOUL? I know its possible someday, but after reading some, it seems like it is.
Last edited by dah'kree on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
dah'kree

Postby Trylon » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:54 pm

Where does you generator get power from? (Sorry if you actually explained that above)
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby dah'kree » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:59 pm

Trylon wrote:Where does you generator get power from? (Sorry if you actually explained that above)

The attraction/repulsion of the magnetic stones cause the inner mechanism to turn, and then from there on it works like a normal electric generator.
http://www.wvic.com/how-gen-works.htm
ImageImage
dah'kree

Postby Trylon » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:03 pm

ehm, that would be called a perpetuum mobilé.
A physical impossibility (at least in the way you describe it)

Ofcourse, if there was a natural magnetic flow around the generator, caused by some fluke in the Age's planet's magentic field, then it would be a different story ;)
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Next

Return to Art and Story