My first age- Tsahvkotsah -Stage 2-Modeling

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Re: My first age- Tsahvkotsah -Literary Concept Design

Postby dah'kree » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:07 pm

Trylon wrote:ehm, that would be called a perpetuum mobilé.
A physical impossibility (at least in the way you describe it)

Ofcourse, if there was a natural magnetic flow around the generator, caused by some fluke in the Age's planet's magentic field, then it would be a different story ;)

Well... the entire island floats 10,000 feet in the air due to the planets magnetic field...why not?
.Tahgehmah b'zoo ah rehlehm
.Tahgehmah b'zoo ah rehkor
.Tahgehmah b'zoo ah rehmahgah b'sel d'sehv
ImageImage
dah'kree

Postby Trylon » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:10 pm

Sounds like a good enough excuse :P

Just remember that there must be a magnetic flow of some sorts. Both for the generator and for the floating islands.
Static magnetism just isn't enough. ;)

You can say that the Age is in a magnetic vortex of sorts (maybe caused by the Age's sun). Which would also start to explain why there is atmosphere surrounding the rocks )
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby dah'kree » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:19 pm

Trylon wrote:Sounds like a good enough excuse :P

Just remember that there must be a magnetic flow of some sorts. Both for the generator and for the floating islands.
Static magnetism just isn't enough. ;)

You can say that the Age is in a magnetic vortex of sorts (maybe caused by the Age's sun). Which would also start to explain why there is atmosphere surrounding the rocks )

M'kay. This entire age is going to revolve around the idea of magnetism...Im even having a device that uses magnets to open up a contained pocket of sub-space. And as a puzzle you have to calibrate the machine to open it... inside will be a book to an age that is another floating rock. This time in space.(playanimation: sufficateandfloatoff :P ) This age will contain bookstands to other ages I create...eventually...
ImageImage
dah'kree

Re: Tsahvkotsah -Literary Concept Design

Postby Jojon » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:21 am

dah'kree wrote:This time in space.(playanimation: sufficateandfloatoff :P )

Hehe. :)

How about this, for a psudo-science-babble excuse: The rock is floating dead above one of the poles of an immensly dense and rapidly spinning planetoid, closely orbiting a red giant. The magnetic field is very strong and twisted, storming in at our pole, in shape of the wild vortex Trylon suggested, with the island, that is somewhat superconducting at its core, rather than magnetic, held aloft by some goobledy-startrekky-gook reactive force spewing out of the centre of the vortex, a`la the x-ray jet from black holes. (maintainer suits recommended at all times ;)

With the red sun dominating the sky, the ordered chaos of the vortex on such a massive scale and a total sense of serenity on the island itself, you should be able to pull off some cool vistas.

Now, the generators: with this scenario, the mechanical assembly is superflous - you just need static coils to induce current from the magnetic vortex. You should be able to design a power-up puzzle, by evenly spacing these in stations along the rim of the island, possibly (all or some of them) jutting out from it, on long beams, with power cables hanging loose beneath them. Some stations may be damaged, or even missing and need to be repaired, or bypassed - the more coils you bypass, the more fluctuations in the power supply - at least until you get a huge capacitor of some sort hooked up, to smoothen it.

Maybe you'd find that using up large amounts of power makes the vortex drag the coils along with it, causing the island to start spinning over time.

(A side note for the webmaster: I've just struggled for half an hour to get this message posted -- previewing or submitting would return "Too few characters in you message" and an empty input box. It turns out I had written "a`la" with an actual "a`" and that was apparently unacceptable, for some reason...)
Jojon

Postby dah'kree » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:07 pm

Heh...perhaps I could do that with my second age, but for the one Im working on now, Its supposed to be a life filled island floating in the clouds... Im even going to create a little animal that will eat from a bush, but will run and hide in a hole when you get too close.
ImageImage
dah'kree

Postby Jojon » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:19 pm

dah'kree wrote:Heh...perhaps I could do that with my second age, but for the one Im working on now, Its supposed to be a life filled island floating in the clouds... Im even going to create a little animal that will eat from a bush, but will run and hide in a hole when you get too close.

Ok. It might be worth noting, though, that half of the ages people have been throwing about here, have been exactly that; nice green grass covered islands with a tree or two, floating in the clouds - sometimes with rope bridges between them. There are two concepts that seem to crop up again and again; this and tower/pyramid/giant_tree-in-the-desertTM. No matter how cliche`d these concepts are, we all like to believe we came up with them all on our own. :7 I've got my own rock-tower-on-a-cloud-surrounded-pinnacleTM going, so I am among the worst lot (well, haven't done anything with it for months, but still... :P)
Jojon

Postby dah'kree » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:18 pm

Well...part of the reason I chose this was because it IS cliche, its my first age, and Id rather spend the time learning how to build the age instead of designing it.

Day of Production: 4
Fixed SwimRegion
Fixed ground normals, they now show in the direction they go.
Made ladder bars smaller, also avatar now grabs the ladder going down.
Edited panic link region so its closer to ground level. (when it linked out it showed underside of island)
Added soccer ball to field.
Begun working on generator pair and house.
dah'kree

Postby dah'kree » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:59 am

Day of production: 5
Settled on generator design (explained in journal next to generator)
Finished modeling generator
Added skysphere

(pics of models will be added in next edit)
ImageImage
dah'kree

Re: My first age- What Power

Postby pappou » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:50 am

Cyan is pretty loose with its power chains too. Water falling into a bottomless pit (itself already below sea level) or water falling off the top of mountains, etc.

But the problem is still there, i think, inspite of all the magnito talk here. You may ignore it, of course, [or hide it] but you illustrated the problem yourself in :
http://www.wvic.com/how-gen-works.htm
Someone has to crank the little peg handle to make the generator work. X power is put in, and X pwer minus friction comes out. The friction part is what messes up all the perpetual motion systems.

The next thing you can work on is turning lead into gold. In fact, there is right now a thriving nationwide business of turning copper into gold. A guy steals the copper out of your AC unit and turns it into his gold. Its big business.
pappou
pappou

Postby dah'kree » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:33 pm

The peg handle on my generator was replaced with magnetic rocks turning on a pole.

Also, changed generator specifications, the crank is attached to a copper wire coil and very small magnetic rocks, wire comes out of the coil into the bigger rocks, witch charges the rocks with energy, causing them to create (or bend possibly) a magnetic flow that causes the rocks on the poles to turn. The charge lasts for 2-3 years.

Images in color (textures temp, only there to show the difference on the objects)

The island (house not started yet) Show Spoiler

Generator room Show Spoiler
ImageImage
dah'kree

PreviousNext

Return to Art and Story