Music Software

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Music Software

Postby Topher » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:54 pm

Hi, I'm Topher and I'd like to help out with the Guild of Writers primarily in concept/puzzle design and in music. However, I don't really have any experience creating music electronically and I could use some information about all the different software products, sample libraries, mixers, etc. that are available. I'm also considering building a new gaming PC for URU soon (my laptop just isn't quite cutting it) so if there's anything you think I should take into consideration for music composition, then that would be appreciated as well. I am much more of a musician than a computer-savvy, so I'm looking for an easy-to-use interface. I'm also a college student so I don't have a great deal of money lying around, but I would be willing to save up for something a little more high-end down the road. Thanks in advance for any advice you might have.
Topher

Re: Music Software

Postby Topher » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:08 am

Bueller? ..... Bueller?
Topher

Postby Pryftan » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:15 am

Haha, hello. Sorry. My setup isn't really all that impressive and I was hoping some of the people who made higher quality sounds would explain theirs. Most of mind end up with background noise and such.

I use an MBox for guitar/keyboard, Reason 3.0 to synthesize sounds, and Sony Acid to mix. Hands down, the best software for professional mixing is Pro Tools, which is also a lot of money and impossible to pirate (not that I haven't tried).

Reason is great if you're less about crazy computer stuff.. the interface is modelled after the actual boxes you would run through to get a similar sound, like a distortion box or a reverb box. And the mixer just looks like a big mix table, with bars and all. Good stuff.
.rilvoohee vehrehnehm vokan pam mahnshootahv rub voohee taygahnehm mahtahntahv
Pryftan

Postby BAD » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:59 pm

I use a freeware program called Audacity.

You can find it Here.

It is a multifaceted editor and very simple to use (It also can filter noise out of tracks.. ;) )

I know people use what they are comfortable with, so I am not saying it is the end and be all of editors, but it is free......... :D
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Postby Topher » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:05 pm

Thanks Pryftan and BAD, this should get me started at least.
Topher

Postby Nadnerb » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:29 pm

I happen to use audacity quite a bit too. (though not so much recently) It's a useful thing to have around. (especially for being free) ;)
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Kiril » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:35 am

Pryftan is correct...Pro Tools is the way to go, but it isn't cheap. One of the great benefits of PT is that it comes with pretty cool plug-ins: soft synths, effects etc, that turn your PC into a full blown digital studio. And for a bit more $$, you can purchase additional plug-ins that do some pretty amazing things. This is what I have in my studio, and I love it!!
Kiril

Postby Topher » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:49 pm

What do you all think about programs like Cakewalk Music Creator 4 or Sony AudioForge? Would they be worth paying for? I need something with instrument samples, at least until I can get a fancy keyboard.

Thanks for all the help
Topher

Postby Kiril » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:46 am

No matter what software you buy you're going to need some kind of midi keyboard to play notes and such. Even if it is just basic midi note sends, and a couple of the modulators, it will do. I sometimes use my old Yamaha KX5 battery operated 3 octave midi controller plugged into Pro Tools, playing the soft-synth plug ins I have. So, here's my suggestion:

Take a look at Pro Tools MBox2 Mini - http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=100&navid=114&itemid=4962

For $379 bucks you can turn your laptop into a full blown professional studio. It comes with Xpand - a great little soft-synth with lots of great sounds. You also get Digi-rack which gives you EQ, Reverb, Delay and other effects processesing capability. It also comes with a CD called Ignition Pack which includes Reason Adapted 3.0, which gives you a lot of the Reason functions and some good sounds, plus you can create your own. Also, you can download a free Re-fill, which gives you additional sounds, samples and loops for the various Reason instruments. You also get "lite" versions of some other soft-synths. You can also download Structure Free (it really is free) which has some great samples and an additional sound file for it with many additional samples, loops and patches.

The only other thing you'll need is some sort of midi controller/keyboard to play your music. All of this can be had for under $500.

Go to the Digidesign website and look at the "accelarated videos" (middle one) they have there. http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=199&itemid=27606&langid=100 You'll be amazed at all you'll be able to do right off the bat. Then, if you save up, you can upgrade your Reason Adapted to Reason 4.0 for under $250. That's a deal considering that it is the equivalent of having about 20 synths + processors+mixer+everything else.

You need 2 gig of Ram on your PC or laptop for best use. And is advisable to have a dedicated hard-drive to store your the audio files you create in PT.

I looked at Cubase, Cakewalk and Voyetra and nothing comes close to the PT system. To tell you how easy it is to use, when I first got my PT mini, within an hour I had loaded it in, plugged in my guitar and had laid down a 3 track song, complete with effects. It was nothing great musically, but I did it all on my family room couch!!! An hour later I had recorded a 4 part synth piece using only Xpand! and my battry operated Yamaha controller.

Go to your favorite store that sells all the cool recording gear and ask to see Pro Tools. They're sure to have it set up somewhere in store. I think you'll find this a great way to start, you'll be operating at a Pro level and when you finish college and get your first high paying job, you can keep upgrading and adding gear!

Good luck.
Kiril

Postby Paradox » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:23 pm

UbuntuStudio :D

Free, open-source operating system that turns your computer into a professional audio mixer!
</shameless plug>
Paradox

Next

Return to Art and Story