Houmala

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Houmala

Postby Luetwo » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:53 am

OK. I have another idea for an age. This is a fishing village, of sorts, basically made of tree houses. There is very little land, so they had to reside in the trees. Netting hangs down from the homes to the surface of the water. You must climb to get to the house level. small bridges sway between most of the homes. Although a Few must be entered with the netting. In the center of several homes is a large building which serves as the storeroom and dining room and kitchen and gameroom. This is basically a swampy land so deep sea fishing type is out. Perhaps the can catch something similar to shrimp or crawdads.
You also can travel between the homes in a "skimmer". This is also the boat used to do the fishing. It is bowl shaped with a place in the center to store your catch of the day.
I have not decided whether this is a private age for a fisherman or one used by several for their fish supply.
Luetwo

Re: Houmala

Postby AtionSong » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:48 pm

Sounds cool, but also a little similar to Channelwood from Myst.
AtionSong

Postby Justintime9 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:26 am

Hmmm... kinda makes me think of some music someone composed for some age... look here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=120 that It kind of made me think of a forest, with perhaps some huts, maybe a Native american type vilage? anyway, i dunno... it just sounded similar to what that music made me think of :)
Justintime9

Postby Luetwo » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:41 am

OK. I have almost totally redone the concept of Houmala. I used the Age Feature list found elsewhere in this forum. I believe I have a workable idea at this time. Although any added ideas are always helpful.

HOUMALA

1) Age type or Guild Affiliation
Food Harvester. The main crop is a fruit that the seeds can be eaten, but mainly it was used to produce a beverage.

This drink can be used unfermented< non-alcoholic or fermented alcoholic. The only other thing on this place
is a potato-like creature that lives in the water's edge. This is the main diet of those that live here.

2) Inhabitants
Nujacs- These are the workers on this age. They stand about 4 feet tall, with legs about half that length and
an arm length of about 3 feet. They are small stocky creatures with yellow-greenish eyes. Their diet includes the
creatures in the water's edge( still unnamed), the fruit and the unfermented juice.
Note: After the fall of D'ni they produced a little more of the alcoholic beverage but when no one came to get it,
they ceased production.

3) Ecosystem and Plant life.
The trees, which stand about six feet tall produce the fruit. It is a reddish purple fruit the resembles a large
eggplant.( the smaller nujacs can walk under the trees' canopies and harvest the fruit with no problem.) This grove
is at the water's edge and when tide is up , it is a few inches under water. The land ,where the houses sit and the
office and the distillery, is sandy with a few reed like grasses growing on them. These grasses is what
was used to build the nujacs homes. To the side of the village sits the distillery although I have not thought of its
layout much yet.
The office sits between the water and the distillery, in a tower at the distilleries edge. There is no outside

4) Moons, Important celestial occurances.
The sun is a constant in the sky. A shadow moves in front of the sun about every 10 hours, creating a day and a
dusk . With every shadow cycle, the tide comes in. As the shadow leaves the tide goes out. Leaving the
nujacs food scattered along the beach, under the trees.

5) Weather- warm and humid. During the sladow, the temperature does drop a little. It rains every day, but not for
long- maybe five minutes.

6) Terrain- I will start with the water's edge where the reeds and grasses grow, Next come the trees. ( all of this
is covered with water when the tide comes in. On the shore to the left is the nujac village. (the tide
never enters the village although does occasionally come close. Further inland is the distillery. ( I haven't
done much work on it yet, so it is very sketchy. Behind the factory is a tall cliff with a waterfall. The river
caused by the waterfall travels through the factory and into the water's edge.

7) Unusual occurences- The water acts like some kind of balancing act. When the tide is out, the waterfall does not
flow. It starts flowing again as the tide is coming in. As long as the tide is in, the factory has power. The nujacs
can only work in one place at a time. Either they are working in the factory, or they are working collecting food
for themselves and the fruit for the factory.

I have imagined this place almost in the shape of a teardrop. With the cliff being at the small end and water at the large end.
Luetwo

Return to Art and Story