Factory Plaza of Gestoypahts

The art, story, and musical aspects of age creation live here!

Re: Factory Plaza of Gestoypahts

Postby Jennifer_P » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:04 am

Excellent, perfecto, muy bien! :D So, at least we can start off with Blender being installed. Ruvinka's still going to need to do that, so I'm going to go find the Alcugs link she'll need to get that and Python (a computer language) installed. I'm also gonna need some more info on your guys' mice, so bear with me here... :)

I have a 2 button (sometimes 3 button mouse :roll: ).

So how's the third button thing work...?

And I have half a Monkey Man modeled :D !

Ha, I bet you mean you have half a Monkeyboy modeled! Tsk, tsk, such vanity... :)

i have laser light one eyed mouse, with cord and a wheel;
and this one has no more of those little buttons on the top;
however, there are a pair of forward and backward thumb buttons on the side;
do they count?

/blink
That's a new one on me. But at least nobody had a three button mouse with a thumb ball. :P Okay...So, you have two thumb buttons and one wheel. Which button do you use to close windows and drag windows around the screen, the forward button or the backward button? Also, can you use one of the buttons to click on the screen (anywhere) and bring up a menu?

And I'm still going to need this from both of you:
2. If you have Blender 2.45 installed, then open it up...two windows should pop up, one the standard blender screen where you have a picture of a cube, and the other a black window with plain white lettering on it. What does the lettering in the black window read? (That black window, called the console window, tells us how happy Blender is with us--or not. )

I just want to check and see if your Blender installation is happy, or if it's complaining that it wants Python installed.
Jennifer_P

Postby Jojon » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:06 pm

Hello Pappou.

I took an hour to (very) roughly trace the outlines of a small number of the buildings on your Gestoypahts overview (lots of cut'n'paste opportunity in there, thanks :). Once Jen has got you a bit more familiar with blender, you can load it up and have a look; replace the map I used, with one that has been less scaled down from your original scan and finish the work properly.

I also quick-and-dirtied a bare bones age file from it, so that you can do a little run-around, should you feel like. The process is very simple, just select all vertices (points in 3d space) and extrude them a bit, then apply a single texture to every face - literally the work of a few seconds. After this, it is very easy to separate the buildings and build them properly.

Looks like my scale is way off - I assumed one foot for a "blender unit", but that is apparently wrong -- things feel rather small -- you can rescale the whole world there with one single move, though.:)

Blend file and age in zip archive:

http://w1.352.telia.com/~u35208964/Gestoyplan.blend
http://w1.352.telia.com/~u35208964/gestoyplanquicktest.zip
Attachments
gestoverview.jpg
gestoverview.jpg (147.66 KiB) Viewed 2881 times
Jojon

Postby pappou » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:05 am

Beautiful job, Jojon. I can only comprehend about half of what you are telling me about working with these files, but everyone can see the impact of your axonometric layout.
For instance, i thought about the size of the Temple, but in 3D it LOOOOMS over those housing blocks. The blocks infuse a scale that insists upon being reckoned with.
The difference here is that these blocks are so small -- each block is not even the size of a normal residential floor plan: 2500 sf. But we see them as normal modern sized blocks. Thus, the scale remarks upon a cultural convention of our modern perceptions.
I made the blocks small on purpose, but i had not thought very precisely of this impact.

I can't wait to be able to pull your files up on Blender and work with them. This is a lovely birthday present for me, Jojon. Thank you
pappou
pappou

Re: Jennifer's Classroom

Postby pappou » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:22 am

This most necessary thread does not work well in this line, so i have repackaged it as "Jennifer's Classroom" and put it under 'Builders'.

I am hoping it goes on for some time, and under 'Builders' we students will constantly be reminded of our low place on the totem pole.
pappou
pappou

Postby Jojon » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:49 am

Birthday?

Congrats then! ...if it wasn't just a figure of speech. :)
Jojon

Postby Jennifer_P » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:04 am

Thanks pappou; and happy birthday! :)
Jennifer_P

Previous

Return to Art and Story